3298 replies to this topic

#1 roblpm

roblpm

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

Posted this in the main forum but sank without a trace!!

Morningside is one of the most expensive areas in Edinburgh and demand is still high .............. until now??

Meadowspot is in the catchment of good schools and is a pretty nice place if you like new houses.

So detached 5 bed comes on the market I think 6 weeks ago, offers over 525k, then went to fixed price 595k but now dropped to fixed price 569k.

If you are quick you can see they havent updated the schedule yet:

http://www.espc.com/Buying/253855.html

This from land registry for last 2 years:

2007-05-03 109 Meadowspot, Edinburgh, EH10 5UY 560,000
2006-09-08 139 Meadowspot, Edinburgh, EH10 5UY 525,000
2006-08-04 135 Meadowspot, Edinburgh, EH10 5UY 611,117
(US date format btw)

No idea if they are all exactly the same but looks to me like for the first time the prices are not up on last year at least!

Cheers Rob

PS Just have to persuade the missus that renting for another year is a good idea!

And while I am at it........................Property developer bought this: http://www.espc.com/Buying/254989.html for 485k in September

2007-09-06 47 Comiston Drive, Edinburgh, EH10 5QS 485,000

Now on at offers over 595k where it has been for weeks. So will be interesting to see if they make any money on it!

#2 brownbootcuts

brownbootcuts

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:32 PM

Interesting post roblpm.

The posts in these area sub forums dont seem to get as much traffic now.

#3 Scunnered

Scunnered

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:59 PM

The problem is that these houses just aren't expensive enough. The Evening News has an advert for Rettie & Co (in the guise of a news story) today saying that they've sold 17 million-pound-plus houses in the last two months.

Three or four weeks ago there was an all-out assault where the Scotsman/Evening News were carrying at least one story about how houses in Edinburgh were remaining reassuringly expensive, with not the slightest possibility of price drops. They've been pretty quiet for the last few weeks though; maybe the local VIs have run out of money to bung their tame journalists.

Currently I'm feeling resigned to a long slow decline in prices, but there may be some light on the horizon. Last year there was a huge unexpected surge in prices in the first quarter, so if this isn't repeated this year then we may see year-on-year falls (if the ESPC actually decides to reveal their figures, that is). Roll on April.

You're right about these regional forums though. I do feel that I'm posting in a seldom-visited backwater here.
A man, a map, a canal. Anacapamanama!

#4 roblpm

roblpm

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

Guys in the regional sub zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

http://www.housepric...showtopic=70001

I posted same in main forum, gt some good comments but day 2 is now on page 3 never to be seen again!! So the choice seems to be post stuff in here and never get any reaction or post in the main forum and wave bye bye!!

I think the regional subforums should be trashed and go back to the "your area" idea??

#5 Scunnered

Scunnered

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:25 PM

I posted same in main forum, gt some good comments but day 2 is now on page 3 never to be seen again!! So the choice seems to be post stuff in here and never get any reaction or post in the main forum and wave bye bye!!

I think the regional subforums should be trashed and go back to the "your area" idea??

I suppose one of the problems is that the number of members is increasing, so there's a danger of the main board getting swamped. You can see this already, where a new thread can disappear off the end of the page in 20 or 30 minutes at busy times. Presumably the amount of traffic will continue to grow as the housing situation deteriorates, so this'll only get worse. I'm guessing that the moderators are trying to tidy things up in an attempt to deal with this.

Having said that, I agree with you about the regional subforums. We definitely seem to be stuck in a bit of a ghetto here. I see that there's still plenty of action in the main "House prices in your area" subforum, with threads about Devon, Manchester, Cambridge and Huddersfield among other places in the last couple of days, so one wonders why a major city like Edinburgh is being shunted off to this area. We could just try starting Edinburgh threads in the "your area" subforum rather than on the main forum, but maybe they'd just fall off the bottom there as well.

If all else fails we could try complaining to Alex Salmond.

#6 roblpm

roblpm

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:19 PM

Ok I am going to stick my neck out and post my next Edinburgh post in the "Your Areas" forum!

I like to life life dangerously!

#7 Scunnered

Scunnered

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:43 PM

Ok I am going to stick my neck out and post my next Edinburgh post in the "Your Areas" forum!

I like to life life dangerously!

Careful there...

The Evening News does have a distinctly pessimistic piece on house prices today (http://edinburghnews...uses.3854723.jp). It's a lot more realistic than the stuff they usually come out with. They quote an average price of 447,020 for 4-bedroom detached houses in Edinburgh. Insane!!!

#8 roblpm

roblpm

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:29 PM

Nice find. Check this out, was on at offers over 550k (I think) now fixed price 825k, whats that all about??!!

http://www.espc.com/Buying/255408.html

#9 roblpm

roblpm

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:30 PM

Update to my first post in this thread to summarise:

47 Comiston Road bought 485k September, done up by developer and put on for offers over 595k. It needed quite a lot doing to it I think.

now on fixed price at 735k

http://www.espc.com/Buying/254989.html

We looked at an identical house in winter of 2005/06 which went for 450k (although not that well done up)

2006-04-03 67 Comiston Drive, Edinburgh, EH10 5QS 450,000

Which has just been resold for 645k!

2008-01-11 67 Comiston Drive, Edinburgh, EH10 5QS 645,000

So the question is is where will the market price of these houses be in a years time?? Some others also sold at around 650k.

#10 roblpm

roblpm

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:38 PM

Morningside seems to have ground to a halt. Nothing coming on, nothing selling.

Luckily Edinburgh is immune to House Price Crashes!

#11 canny man

canny man

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:19 AM

Stuart Saunders, the leading proprty firm has just gone bust!!! yesterday's evening news.

#12 roblpm

roblpm

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:15 PM

As usual main board in a frenzy, Scotland regional subforum is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Does that mean:

a) There is no HPC is Scotland/Edinburgh?

B) The regional subforum idea is not a good one??

Anyway there is an Edinburgh thread in the "In your area" section in which someone had posted this:

http://edinburghnews...ouse.3957214.jp

Morningside has just had a load of high end stuff on the ESPC at big prices listed. Interesting to see if any of it sells!

#13 Scunnered

Scunnered

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:16 PM

The EPSC figures for Q1 2008 have just appeared. There was a 5.3% year-on-year fall in Marchmont (it now costs a mere 260,000 for a 2-bed flat), but rises of various sizes in all the other areas in Edinburgh. Some of the figures look a bit odd. They say that Falkirk rose by 38.9% but Kirkcaldy fell by 23%. Perhaps they're only dealing with small volumes in those areas, so the figures are easily distorted.

There's also a bit of blurb to go with the figures:

Latest figures released today by ESPC reveal the housing market in Edinburgh has continued to cool with annual inflation falling to its lowest level since 1993. A rise of just 1.2% took the average price in the Capital from 207,669 in the first quarter of 2007 to 210,123 during the first three months of 2008.

There was evidence however that the market should be well placed to avoid the downturn in prices projected in England and Wales, with the 6.7% reduction in sales some way below the 40% decreases being reported in many areas south of the border.

Haven't they heard of the ripple effect?

#14 SelfDoIt

SelfDoIt

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:36 PM

I've only just found this sub-forum. Keep posting here. We just have to keep it lively.

#15 roblpm

roblpm

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:23 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But I will keep trying!!

Interesting to look on the front page of HPC and see the yearly predictions, Scotland at top!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users