#916 Dr Renter

Dr Renter

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • About Me:Football, Golf, Star Wars

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:47 AM

If I were to draw 350K out of the bank and buy the house I'm renting, I'd lose 11,200 per annum in interest after tax (I'm retired and no longer pay 40%), I pay less than that in rent and my money is sitting in the bank rather than being tied up in a depreciating, illiquid, asset.

Of course, if you factor in maintenance, falling house prices etc, I'm substantially better off renting.

So you're renting a 350,000 house for 550pcm? Where is this?

#917 Bruce Banner

Bruce Banner

Targ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:48 AM

Yes, in your personal case you are able to overcome the tax efficiency of owning housing because your landlord has a very low rental yield and your income tax rate is low.

At the moment, rental prices in your area favour the approach you are taking.

In general (especially if houses return to 3x wages and rental yields go back to double digits), the tax system favours owning a house over renting one and investing elsewhere.

Edit: I seem to recall you saying your landlord is getting a 2% yield and you are earning 5%+ on NS&I certificates (which are no longer available of course). You must admit this is a very unusual situation and one which is not available to most of the population. The going rate is about 5% yields on rent and 3% on savings.

There are quite a lot of posters here who are in a similar position to me. If you shop around for good rental deals and interest rates, it can be done.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lest there be any doubt.

No I believe prices will fall and am astounded that a so called Conservative led government could act in such a stupid way. As you can see from today, there are 2,000 HtB applicants and it has been on MSM none stop all day and they make up about 3.5% of a typical months mortgages.

BTL is a good potential way to bankruptcy and yes sometimes I make points to hopefully make people think.

#918 Bruce Banner

Bruce Banner

Targ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:49 AM

So you're renting a 350,000 house for 550pcm? Where is this?

Wrong, as usual :rolleyes:.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lest there be any doubt.

No I believe prices will fall and am astounded that a so called Conservative led government could act in such a stupid way. As you can see from today, there are 2,000 HtB applicants and it has been on MSM none stop all day and they make up about 3.5% of a typical months mortgages.

BTL is a good potential way to bankruptcy and yes sometimes I make points to hopefully make people think.

#919 this_prisoner_is_opting_out

this_prisoner_is_opting_out

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:57 AM

I am currently paying 680 euros a month on a 1-bed rental flat.

I am going to buy at 100% and my fixed 10 year repayment will be approx 320 a month for a 3-bed house.

Utilities coming in at the same due to superior insulation on the house.

I'm prepared for further falls at these kind of prices.

#920 ccc

ccc

I make myself sick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,729 posts
  • About Me:German Girl avatar - http://www.nerve.com/files/archive/theremoteisland/2009/02/german-girl-10.jpg

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:00 AM

Same story in the Scotsman today. However the detail is a little more illuminating. :blink:

Scotsman

"IT IS cheaper to buy a property than rent one in 80 per cent of towns in Britain because of falling house prices and rising rents, research suggests. Rents on a two-bedroom flat are now typically 9.9 per cent higher than interest-only mortgage payments, said Zoopla.co.uk."
Well - that rather changes things doesn't it. Did the other article not think this info was important....

"****** you - you carwash ****"

March 2007 - Suzy Essman.

#921 Dr Renter

Dr Renter

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:13 AM

Sums are not your strong point , are they :rolleyes:.

350,000 x 5% is 17,500 annual savings

Take off the 11,200 you say you'll lose and that's 6,300 or just over 500pcm.

#922 Bruce Banner

Bruce Banner

Targ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:15 AM

350,000 x 5% is 17,500 annual savings

Take off the 11,200 you say you'll lose and that's 6,300 or just over 500pcm.

You post as though stupidity were a virtue :lol:.

When in a hole, stop digging.

Lest there be any doubt.

#923 Cinzano Bianco

Cinzano Bianco

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • About Me:Expecting house prices to slowly deflate... like the long, drawn out death rattle of a man suffering from terminal flatulence.

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:21 AM

Nothing is certain in life, but I'm very relaxed. I would certainly be 'shitting myself' if my money was tied up in an, illiquid, depreciating asset though.

Agree entirely (I am in a rented house also)... but if TSHTF, you would still have your house rather than a lot of pretty toilet paper. If I had your cash, I would be seriously think about buying a nice house with a plot of land (and some guns and stuff :)).
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
---

13 Years of Labour

#924 cardiffone

cardiffone

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:23 AM

Havent we been through all this before, in the long run it is still cheaper to buy than rent.

end of story.

If you have other needs like flexibility or you have some really good investments, in can be better to rent...

that doesn't apply to most people in most areas

#925 Dr Renter

Dr Renter

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:24 AM

You post as though stupidity were a virtue :lol:.

When in a hole, stop digging.

Ah yes, the classic HPC response, don't respond with facts, respond with insults. A good tactic I suppose, the less info you give out, the less likely you'll trip yourself up. I would imagine it's difficult for you to remember what is truth and what is BS. This used to be such a lively and informative forum, sadly it's loons like you who have ruined it.

#926 ccc

ccc

I make myself sick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,729 posts
  • About Me:German Girl avatar - http://www.nerve.com/files/archive/theremoteisland/2009/02/german-girl-10.jpg

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:25 AM

Does nobody else think it is pretty shocking the original article didn't even mention this was based on interest only mortgages ?

Scandalous IMO. Unless the Scotsman article is wrong of course.

#927 Bruce Banner

Bruce Banner

Targ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:26 AM

Agree entirely (I am in a rented house also)... but if TSHTF, you would still have your house rather than a lot of pretty toilet paper. If I had your cash, I would be seriously think about buying a nice house with a plot of land (and some guns and stuff :)).

Actually, even that's not a certainty. Governments can kick you out of your house if they want to, they call it compulsory purchase.

Lest there be any doubt.

#928 Bruce Banner

Bruce Banner

Targ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:28 AM

Ah yes, the classic HPC response, don't respond with facts, respond with insults. A good tactic I suppose, the less info you give out, the less likely you'll trip yourself up. I would imagine it's difficult for you to remember what is truth and what is BS. This used to be such a lively and informative forum, sadly it's loons like you who have ruined it.

But your questions are not based on what I have said. Can you not read?

Lest there be any doubt.

#929 ccc

ccc

I make myself sick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,729 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:33 AM

This is the actual Zoopla blog

BLog

"(assuming interest-only mortgage at 5% interest p.a.)"

This article:

"an owner with a mortgage with a pay rate of 5 per cent"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone can be bothered I think this could be one for the Press complaints Commision. I may send an email later myself. Leaving out the interest only bit and replacing with 'pay rate' is completely misleading IMO.

#930 Dr Renter

Dr Renter

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:34 AM

If I were to draw 350K out of the bank and buy the house I'm renting, I'd lose 11,200 per annum.

You didn't write that then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users