15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bosworth_*

Guest_Bosworth_*

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:33 AM

Anyone else getting this problem on virtually every page?
Clearly off-topic, but nowhere easy to post technical issues.

Page loads then some sort of ad is searched out which cannot be found and the page redirects to a whole 404 error.
Using IE7.

This is one of the pages that I get redirected to that doesn't exist:
http://www.google.co...ecode=yes;link=

Only way round it is to hit the "stop" button when most of the page has loaded.

#2 lets get it right

lets get it right

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:51 AM

No problem here. Get yourself a decent computer.
I

#3 DoctorJ

DoctorJ

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:55 AM

I get the same problem trying to load that page. But why would I want to load it again...
"They bought their tickets. They knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash!"
Airplane, 1980

#4 whoami

whoami

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:57 AM

Page loads then some sort of ad is searched out which cannot be found and the page redirects to a whole 404 error.
Using IE7.

Sounds like a homepage hijacker, or a malware pop-up inserter that's gone wrong. You need to have a good clean out with some of the anti-virus/malware/adware tools.

#5 Tin Foil Hat

Tin Foil Hat

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:59 AM

Hi,

Looking at the URL I think you may well be infected with spyware which is hijacking your browser links.

A quick shufty on google led me to here:

http://www.zomocainc...-popup-spyware/

ad.yieldmanager.com is the nasty I am taking a wild ass guess at you being infected with.

No problems here.

Hope it helps,

TFH

#6 Son of Taeper

Son of Taeper

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:16 AM

No problem here. Get yourself a decent computer.

Yeah, should have got a Mac, now he has gone to pc hell :P
I tend to clear cookies on a daily basiis whether I'm on a mac or a pc though
The views expressed in my posts are my own based upon what I read on other information supplied by other HPC members.
These should not be used a a definitive answer to any posts I attempt to answer.

#7 AteMoose

AteMoose

INTJ <- No S :(

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,514 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:23 AM

try installing firefox, anti virus and ad-aware
I have bought a newish (5 years) house in November 2006. I talked the vendor down 30% off peak 2004 price am am paying less than the 2002 price. I feel prices will continue to drop down to the 2001 price but saving for 5 years hopefully means i wont be stung. The price i am paying isn't much above the price the vendor paid for the place when it was new in 2000. However some idiot is trying to flog an identical house on my road for 55k above the price i paid, one month later!?!?! The housing market is frothy, no-one ever knows what the value of a house is, the value is what someone is willing to pay, make sure you pay alot less than the asking price.

Free to collect, like ebay but you dont pay, you just have to collect

QUOTE (sledgehead)If you make a living from something, you are a professional something: it is your profession. You could bake dog turds and flog them as ornaments. If that's how you make your living, you ARE a professional dog-turd baker. Period
QUOTE (Rolling Stone 13th July 2000)The first thing you need to know about Goldman Sachs is that it's everywhere. The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money.

QUOTE (Soon Not a Chain Retailer @ Aug 30 2009, 01:03 AM) Society should provide trampolines not safety nets.

QUOTE (GordonBrown Jan 27 2008 (warning about the coming inflation?))if you don't get the skills you wont get a job
if you get the skills you will earn ALOT of money

#8 Son of Taeper

Son of Taeper

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:28 AM

Just had a quick check through my cookies so far for today and I already have one from penguin.co.uk. I haven't been anywhere near that site.
I also had this little gem
The views expressed in my posts are my own based upon what I read on other information supplied by other HPC members.
These should not be used a a definitive answer to any posts I attempt to answer.

#9 lets get it right

lets get it right

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:46 AM

Just had a quick check through my cookies so far for today and I already have one from penguin.co.uk. I haven't been anywhere near that site.
I also had this little gem

Tempted as I am to click on that link ...
I

#10 Gebbeth

Gebbeth

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:49 AM

If you're using Google toolbar, it might be related to this:

Google in mass 404 land grab

#11 Son of Taeper

Son of Taeper

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:01 AM

Tempted as I am to click on that link ...

:P It should be safe enough. Reads a bit like this-

summitTRACK
The purpose of PPC tracking is to measure the response rate and Return of Investment (ROI) of your online activity. SummitTRACK will show the traffic volume that is received from advertisements and any sales or leads generated as a result of this traffic.

The summitTRACK system is capable of tracking the following:
Pay per click search engine ads
Paid inclusion search engine ads
Free listings in search engines (natural searches)
Shopping Comparison Engines
Ads or links running on other websites such as banner campaigns
Email campaigns
SummitTRACK tracks visitors that reach your site by clicking on a link from another web site to yours.

I just cleared my cookie folder out and loaded this thread. I got 4 cookies just from that. 2 more when I logged in.
Check Doubleclick out, they are checking us as we write. Check your cookie folder if you don't believe me :ph34r:

#12 UncleMeat

UncleMeat

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:07 AM

Using IE7.

Install firefox:

http://www.mozilla-e...oducts/firefox/

load the adblock plus (ABP) addon. Go to tools, add-ons, it should be top of the list

#13 rich6400

rich6400

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:39 AM

It is very likely that you have some malware. I personally stay clear of Internet Explorer as much as possible. Apart from the odd bank and www.selftrade.co.uk websites that demand that you use this browser, I prefer to use Firefox or Opera when surfing the 'net. These browsers are faster, use less RAM and have a lot less security flaws. If you are interested in privacy then it is good idea to wipe your cookies too. I use CCLEANER for this too.

#14 Guest_Bosworth_*

Guest_Bosworth_*

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:14 PM

It is very likely that you have some malware. I personally stay clear of Internet Explorer as much as possible. Apart from the odd bank and www.selftrade.co.uk websites that demand that you use this browser, I prefer to use Firefox or Opera when surfing the 'net. These browsers are faster, use less RAM and have a lot less security flaws. If you are interested in privacy then it is good idea to wipe your cookies too. I use CCLEANER for this too.

No malware as far as I can tell.

Everything works fine on my mac and my linux box (running Mozilla), just happen to be using the machine in my study that runs windows and IE. Where are these extra cookies coming from???

#15 Son of Taeper

Son of Taeper

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:33 PM

No malware as far as I can tell.

Everything works fine on my mac and my linux box (running Mozilla), just happen to be using the machine in my study that runs windows and IE. Where are these extra cookies coming from???

Stick to the Mac and save our time then <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users