330 replies to this topic

#31 VillageIdiot

VillageIdiot

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:51 PM

It seems that some regions in Herts are up, but some are down. The overall figure of -3.2% is skewed somewhat due to a 19% drop in Three Rivers.

Hello to everyone here!

Would you know where I could find that data? I need to move to Three Rivers for work reasons, so that would handy info to wave around! :lol:

#32 DoctorJ

DoctorJ

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:47 AM

Hello to everyone here!

Would you know where I could find that data? I need to move to Three Rivers for work reasons, so that would handy info to wave around! :lol:

It should be on the Land Registry website.
"They bought their tickets. They knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash!"
Airplane, 1980

#33 FaTB

FaTB

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:58 PM

When you say 3 rivers I assume you mean the Rickmansworth, Maple Cross kind of area, near Watford ??

http://www.home.co.u...mp;endyear=2008

#34 VillageIdiot

VillageIdiot

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:14 PM

Thank you very much DoctorJ and FatB for the info. Rickmansworth is where I'm looking so that makes very interesting reading!

I am really suprised by some of those figures. Any ideas why terraced properties are averaging significantly higher than semi detached properties?

#35 Killer Bunny

Killer Bunny

Twitterati

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,468 posts
  • About Me:I love - love I tell you - Twitter

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:17 AM

Any ideas why terraced properties are averaging significantly higher than semi detached properties?

Have averaged. Past tense.

In 1931 they did not know yet that they were in The Great Depression
Cap'n, you cannae change the laws of... Economics!
"If they raise rates we're toast. If they don't its BECAUSE we're toast" Pundit: Sky News March 2011
"That which is unsustainable will not sustain" Milton Friedman

#36 FaTB

FaTB

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

[quote name='VillageIdiot' date='Mar 23 2008, 10:14 PM' post='1029014'
I am really suprised by some of those figures. Any ideas why terraced properties are averaging significantly higher than semi detached properties?
[/quote]

I think that figure is probably just an anomaly, because the sample size is so small.

But the number of houses sold in the area, I think tells a clearer story, significantly down almost across the board.

In my area (St. Albans) sales are down around 50% for every type of house, that must mean that prices will follow eventually.

#37 garybug

garybug

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:44 AM

Slightly OT, but the local rag popped through the door yesterday ("The Herald"), which serves Bishops Stortford, Sawbridgeworth, Harlow - with the headline that BS & Harlow are the 5th & 4th most indebted towns in the UK.

So we can safely say that the CC squeeze will hit this area hard, with little spare cash around. Evidence? Prior to 09/08/07, Rightmove had around 46 entries for sale in my search (everything in Sawbridgeworth plus one mile - and this did include duplicates).

Since then, it's been rising steadily & now stands at 86 (inc. dupes) and NOTHING is moving (in fact, a cottage in High Wych has come back on after disappearing for 3 months).

As I've said before, this is prime commuter town (1hr door to door to the City), and PropertyBee is showing 5-10% reductions already, and the crash is only just waking up, and prior to mortage deals really drying up.

Poor wee souls... :P

Frank Hovis - May 4 2008, 02:55 PM. "[These people] seems outraged that nobody wants to come along and make the same mistake as them."

#38 the primitive

the primitive

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:34 PM

Slightly OT, but the local rag popped through the door yesterday ("The Herald"), which serves Bishops Stortford, Sawbridgeworth, Harlow - with the headline that BS & Harlow are the 5th & 4th most indebted towns in the UK.

So we can safely say that the CC squeeze will hit this area hard, with little spare cash around. Evidence? Prior to 09/08/07, Rightmove had around 46 entries for sale in my search (everything in Sawbridgeworth plus one mile - and this did include duplicates).

Since then, it's been rising steadily & now stands at 86 (inc. dupes) and NOTHING is moving (in fact, a cottage in High Wych has come back on after disappearing for 3 months).

As I've said before, this is prime commuter town (1hr door to door to the City), and PropertyBee is showing 5-10% reductions already, and the crash is only just waking up, and prior to mortage deals really drying up.

Poor wee souls... :P

Hi Garybug

I got that as well... quite a surprise? Are you in BS or Harlow?

#39 garybug

garybug

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:02 PM

Hi Garybug

I got that as well... quite a surprise? Are you in BS or Harlow?

Not really a surprise, in that it explains why Waitrose & Van Hague (posh gardening centre outside Harlow) have been quieter recently..

I'm in Sawbridgeworth, and nice it is too (apart from the Harlow overspill :ph34r: ). I would definitely buy here, but not at 230k for a three bedder. When I can get the same for 150k, I'll consider buying. That's circa 30% drop, which i consider will be the average drop around here. BS & Harlow, especially, will be toast. Exepct drops up to 50% in these areas.

Frank Hovis - May 4 2008, 02:55 PM. "[These people] seems outraged that nobody wants to come along and make the same mistake as them."

#40 the primitive

the primitive

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:06 AM

Not really a surprise, in that it explains why Waitrose & Van Hague (posh gardening centre outside Harlow) have been quieter recently..

I'm in Sawbridgeworth, and nice it is too (apart from the Harlow overspill :ph34r: ). I would definitely buy here, but not at 230k for a three bedder. When I can get the same for 150k, I'll consider buying. That's circa 30% drop, which i consider will be the average drop around here. BS & Harlow, especially, will be toast. Exepct drops up to 50% in these areas.

50% here in BS... good good :lol:

Was checking on houseprices.co.uk and they have gone up an absurd amount. Nice town, we like it, will hold on and hopefully stay here in a nice big cheap house in a few years then!

#41 the primitive

the primitive

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:42 AM

50% here in BS... good good :lol:

Was checking on houseprices.co.uk and they have gone up an absurd amount. Nice town, we like it, will hold on and hopefully stay here in a nice big cheap house in a few years then!

11 out of 35 properties in Haart in Thorley have "reduced" stickers this a.m. And one bored and forlorn EA inside filing her nails...

#42 garybug

garybug

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:13 PM

11 out of 35 properties in Haart in Thorley have "reduced" stickers this a.m. And one bored and forlorn EA inside filing her nails...

Have you downloaded PropertyBee yet? (You need the Mozilla browser to run it)

It shows the change history for all properties listed on Rightmove (inc. descriptions, prices)

I checked again this morning, and there's a 1 bed flat in Lawrence Moorings (nice mill(?) redevelopment) in Sawbo, owned by Nationwide (so a repo?), listed as 'BMV' too :lol: )for about 20k less than ANOTHER 2 flats in the same development, that haven't shifted for months on end. If I were trying to sell one of the other two I'd be bricking it :P .

I tried to check on the Land Registry site to see what they were originally selling for (but site down today) - would not be surprised to see them in NE.

It would eb very interesting if you could keep us updated on shifts in the BS market. Her indoors works there, so I wouldn't be adverse to moving there if the area was OK.

#43 Killer Bunny

Killer Bunny

Twitterati

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,468 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

All briliant news guys. Greenstuff - perhaps you should do a weekly check on Rightmove and see how many properties are coming on the market.

"If they raise rates we're toast. If they don't its BECAUSE we're toast" Pundit: Sky News March 2011

#44 DoctorJ

DoctorJ

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:34 PM

Rents definitely going down in Ware. Got the proof today.

There seems to be a high number of flats to let in this development (see links) and, for about a year now, they have been on the market for 650/month. Today found some new ones coming on for 625/month.

I wonder if this is the start of the rent crash?

650/month
650/month 2
650/month 3 (falcon court)
second one looks like a prison cell with a bath in it!

625/month
625/month 2

Edited by DoctorJ, 30 March 2008 - 05:35 PM.

"They bought their tickets. They knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash!"
Airplane, 1980

#45 Killer Bunny

Killer Bunny

Twitterati

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,468 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:05 PM

Rents definitely going down in Ware. Got the proof today.

There seems to be a high number of flats to let in this development (see links) and, for about a year now, they have been on the market for 650/month. Today found some new ones coming on for 625/month.

They were 750 a couple of years ago and 800/850 before that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users