House Price Crash forum: Forget Buying Overseas, Rent Your Way Around The World - House Price Crash forum

powered by
  • (6 Pages) +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forget Buying Overseas, Rent Your Way Around The World

#16 User is offline   esmerelda 

• HPC Poster
  • PipPip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:40 AM

View Postdogbox, on Jan 3 2008, 12:33 PM, said:

TOURISTIC PROPERTY RENTALS;

Whilst I am aware of people who struggle to let thier touristic property I am also aware that we ALWAYS struggle to find a villa in the locations we have tried, namely, Menorca, Sardinia, Greece and Calcan in Turkey.
This has been our experience over the last 10 years and even when we book well in advance all the properties we want have gone!

In other words there is demand for the right property in the right location.

I don't want to get too cute but ....dogbox your search might be affected by your spelling???? It's Kalkan, not Calcan...& there's loads of villas/apartments available for rent there...all available right now on www.ownersdirect (& yes our apartment is one of them!!!.

#17 User is offline   dogbox 

• HPC Senior Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:49 AM

Soldintime

I hear you on the 'loads of all - in golf developments', however, there will still be good commodities and not so good.

All we can do are careful comparisons of end user likely experience.

For my part I went for a development that includes a hospital (its now built and is pretty sizeable, not the usual small clinic that most developments have), the Meds largest marina (70% completed) and 11 onsite branded hotels (not the 1 or 2 most developments sing about).

I notice a lot of posters use blanket logic, for example 'worldwide property crash' which to be frank is the type of rationale employed by George Bush with his 'axis of evil' which entirely misses the true complexity and complection of the reality on the ground.

Furthermore it is in times of uncertainty that the smart investor takes positions and acts upon them, rather than waiting for the crowd to decide whats going on.

Worrying about background noise and lifes petty ups and downs is a fools paradise. My villa wont be ready for at least 18 months anyway and Im quite confident the end users will come in thier droves regardeless of the unending drone of doomsayers that inhabit very narrow mental bandwidths and tend to be obsessed with the hear and now rather than the hear and tomorrow.
And God said unto Luke 'come forth and thee shall have eternal life', but Luke came fifth and won a toaster.

'My children are Christian' is like saying 'my children are Conservatives' - at least have the common decency to let the little blighters make up thier own minds

#18 User is offline   dogbox 

• HPC Senior Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:03 AM

View Postesmerelda, on Jan 4 2008, 10:40 AM, said:

I don't want to get too cute but ....dogbox your search might be affected by your spelling???? It's Kalkan, not Calcan...& there's loads of villas/apartments available for rent there...all available right now on www.ownersdirect (& yes our apartment is one of them!!!.

Thankfully my wife can spell Kalkan :lol: , she does all the searching and so far we have been unable to get a slot in any of the villas tried.
To be honest we are new to Kalkan so I should not have included it my list above <_< . Caught red handed!

My personal choice when it came to owning abroad would be in a small peacefull resort, not on a mega development, but from an investment point of view we felt a facilty laden all in one development was a better option in terms of extending the rental timeline. We know of too many people that have property in one off small developments and also on Spannish golf developments (those that claim lots of facilities but in fact do not offer much for a broad range of users), that fail to achieve a long rental season.
And God said unto Luke 'come forth and thee shall have eternal life', but Luke came fifth and won a toaster.

'My children are Christian' is like saying 'my children are Conservatives' - at least have the common decency to let the little blighters make up thier own minds

#19 User is offline   soldintime 

• HPC Regular
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:43 PM

I started this topic not to talk about holiday rental investments but to talk about renting places places around the globe cheaply. Due to massive gluts in BTL and holiday lets rents are pushed way below the cost of capital and maintenance.

Renting properties for longer term things like local community, schools, culture and food play a more important role. This is something you will not find in 5 star resorts. They are catered for people that want a one or two week break. There might still be a good demand for this. It is hard to get a good opinion on this as 99.9% of property related articles are ramped up. How many 5 star holidays are taken by the "follow the celebrety lifestyle" and lets put this holiday on our credit card types. This type of credit will become more and more restricted.

What I can tell is that I can have a fantastic cheap lifestyle in quite a few places in the world renting the property that I want.

#20 User is offline   dogbox 

• HPC Senior Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:39 AM

Soldintime, it sounds a great lifestyle, I'm envious.
There are an awful lot of people who are'nt investment savvy. Only yesterday someone told me they own a property in Italy and has given not the slightest thought to the cost of capital provision, the rental season (which I think will be no more than 12 weeks), comparative investment returns (cash in Bank vs thier property investment), ongoing costs such as rubbish collection etc etc.

It seems most people consider simply owning property is an investment, end of. A savvy b@stard like you will be able to suck the marrow from people like this, and they wont even realize this :lol:

#21 User is offline   soldintime 

• HPC Regular
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:28 PM

Once you enjoy your heavily subsidesed rental property in a nice warm location somewhere on our globe the next step is to swap it. Escape the busy school summer holidays and swap it for a nice place in Berlin, Paris, Barcelona or anywhere you fancy.

Check out these two websites:

http://www.homeforexchange.com/

http://www.intervac-...e.com/index.php

Good quality life can be found on the cheap. Forget property ownership for the moment it is expensive and inflexible to a changing lifestyle.

#22 User is offline   RichieIchiban 

• HPC Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:05 PM

To be the idea of renting is a sound one (be it here or abroad). We're currently looking at moving to Japan for a year or two. Rents are far cheaper than the mortgage on the same property would be (and the property is likely to depreciate anyway). English people seem to have developed this obsession with buying property, and their reasons for doing so are often based on false assumptions. Renting your way around the world sounds like a fantastic idea. No legal fees, insurance, maintenance or negative exposure to a risky property market.

This post has been edited by RichieIchiban: 03 February 2008 - 08:05 PM

#23 User is offline   WasSeller (ex-WouldBe) 

• HPC Poster
  • PipPip

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:48 PM

View Postsoldintime, on Jan 27 2008, 10:28 PM, said:

Once you enjoy your heavily subsidesed rental property in a nice warm location somewhere on our globe the next step is to swap it. Escape the busy school summer holidays and swap it for a nice place in Berlin, Paris, Barcelona or anywhere you fancy.

Good quality life can be found on the cheap. Forget property ownership for the moment it is expensive and inflexible to a changing lifestyle.

I'm with you soldintime... am sale agreed and crossing fingers for completion soon so I can start gallivanting. Feck this property ladder lark.
"The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable." - J.K. Galbraith

#24 User is offline   soldintime 

• HPC Regular
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:40 PM

Rents are dropping fast in Spain due to oversupply, glut in unsold property and lower demand due to high oil prices. Must have an effect on other countries around the med as well. Great if you want to rent and sample different countries.

http://www.propertywire.com/news/europe/ho...0080514960.html

#25 User is offline   markinspain 

• HPC Veteran
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:03 AM

View Postsoldintime, on Jun 16 2008, 12:40 AM, said:

Rents are dropping fast in Spain due to oversupply, glut in unsold property and lower demand due to high oil prices. Must have an effect on other countries around the med as well. Great if you want to rent and sample different countries.

http://www.propertywire.com/news/europe/ho...0080514960.html

Agreed - see my posts in the Spanish Investment thread.
From Burbuja <!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"No vas a vender tu casa en la puta vida"<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

"ESTO ES PARA LOS ESPECULADORES E "INVERSIONISTAS":

!!! SE ACABO EL CHOLLO, VOSOTROS MISMOS HABEIS MATADO A LA GALLINA DE LOS HUEVOS DE ORO, POR AVARICIOSOS !!! "

#26 User is offline   The Traveller 

• HPC Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

View Postsoldintime, on Jan 27 2008, 10:28 PM, said:

Agree. We've been doing this for years. Given the high cost of properties in many European countries this is highly recommended. We're about to do our second 1-year swap. So it isn't only for 2-3 week holiday. This also works great for a few months or a year.

Here's another house swap site to look at:

1st Home Exchange

#27 User is offline   babylonian 

• HPC Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:31 PM

Very sensible posts here - renting somewhere to stay on holiday, whether villa, apartment or hotel, has to be the only sensible way of enjoying your holiday without all the worry associated with property ownership.

I've always found it difficult to understand why anybody would want all the hassle of buying a holiday home in a foreign country where they don't understand the language or the law.

Or why anybody would want to come on holiday, only to find that the place needs cleaned, a long list of repairs need carried out, it's very hard to find an electrician, a plumber, a glazier, when you don't speak the local language, the local authority taxes need paid, and the garden is a wilderness because the chap you've been paying hasn't been coming.
Add to this that you HAVE to come to the same place every year, and the total is more worry than fun!

Dogbox, I was in Kalkan just over a year ago, and there are literally hundreds of villas for rent (and of course hundreds of owners who're desperate to find renters - most are lucky to get takers six weeks a year), so either your search terms are wildly off, or you're awfully fussy!
And going by the numbers of attempts at hard sell on property by practically everybody we came across, most of them seem to have realised that there just aren't enough renters around, and are trying to sell - there are about 800 (yes really!) houses for sale in Kalkan, out of a total of fewer than 2,000.

Soldintime's spot on, now's the time to rent!

#28 User is offline   canada dry 

• HPC Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:54 PM

View Postbabylonian, on Jun 30 2008, 10:31 PM, said:

Very sensible posts here - renting somewhere to stay on holiday, whether villa, apartment or hotel, has to be the only sensible way of enjoying your holiday without all the worry associated with property ownership.

I've always found it difficult to understand why anybody would want all the hassle of buying a holiday home in a foreign country where they don't understand the language or the law.

Or why anybody would want to come on holiday, only to find that the place needs cleaned, a long list of repairs need carried out, it's very hard to find an electrician, a plumber, a glazier, when you don't speak the local language, the local authority taxes need paid, and the garden is a wilderness because the chap you've been paying hasn't been coming.
Add to this that you HAVE to come to the same place every year, and the total is more worry than fun!

Dogbox, I was in Kalkan just over a year ago, and there are literally hundreds of villas for rent (and of course hundreds of owners who're desperate to find renters - most are lucky to get takers six weeks a year), so either your search terms are wildly off, or you're awfully fussy!
And going by the numbers of attempts at hard sell on property by practically everybody we came across, most of them seem to have realised that there just aren't enough renters around, and are trying to sell - there are about 800 (yes really!) houses for sale in Kalkan, out of a total of fewer than 2,000.

Soldintime's spot on, now's the time to rent!

There are still a few good places to invest. However travelling around the world is working out very cheap at the moment - camping; hostelling; renting an apartment for around 6 months, can work out next to nothing. There is a new forum just started at http://hiday.net/ which encourages people to share travel ideas and experiences, as well overseas property hot spots - worth a try!

#29 User is offline   workingnomad 

• HPC Poster
  • PipPip

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:50 PM

I have been doing this for three years now, I can work from anywhere as I have an online business. My main places have been New Zealand, Spain and Asia. I have managed to save much more money than I would have in the UK....and will eventually by in the SW of England as a cash buyer.

Like someone else said, companies relocate and offshore staff so why don't you follow suit! Just find work that can be conducted over the web.

#30 User is offline   soldintime 

• HPC Regular
  • PipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:47 AM

Here an update:

The renting abroad concept is great. I have been able to negotiate my rent down here in Malta. It has also given me the flexibilty to go out and travel and rent again when I am back. I am now in Bali and loving it here. I am in Ubud a trendy place with lots of arty shops, very cheap food 1-3 a meal and a bit cooler climate (2-3 degrees cooler as at sea level) as it is up in the hills a bit. I have had a look around and 250 - 350 would give me a great 3 bedroom house with beautifull views and a daily cleaner and gardener. There is also a great expat community out here.

Great way to sit out the global recession.

Visa wise you could stay here for a year.

• (6 Pages) +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users