• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 soldintime

soldintime

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • About Me:* Overseas property investment with positive yields.
    * Precious Metals
    * High Yielding shares
    * Forex

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:54 PM

See the film Leon? No roots will get to you one day. I am not sure how old you are or if you have kids but in the end everywhere sort of ends up the same. I travelled the world for 10 years and in the end I really needed to stay in one place for a while.

I would give Andorra a miss though, a few days there and you will be boreddddddd.

I agree with you there. I have done the roots thing for 10 years in the UK. I have now had 3 years of renting in one place (6 months per year) and travelling the other 6 months. With the coming of the second child I need to root again.

Andorra is more the family life style choice. For action I will rent a second flat in Barcelona only a bit over 2 hour drive away. Time will tell if roots will grow.

Edited by soldintime, 14 July 2010 - 10:55 PM.

#62 maxD

maxD

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:06 PM

I agree with you there. I have done the roots thing for 10 years in the UK. I have now had 3 years of renting in one place (6 months per year) and travelling the other 6 months. With the coming of the second child I need to root again.

Andorra is more the family life style choice. For action I will rent a second flat in Barcelona only a bit over 2 hour drive away. Time will tell if roots will grow.

I have a business in Barcelona and Madrid but live in Prague. Had the choice of living in BCN but chose Prague in the end as it is a lot more mellow, that was 7 years ago now. Barcelona is great for visiting though + you have the beach. Also property has dropped if you are going to rent. Check our idealista.com as it has quite a nice feature that shows average prices per m2 in certain areas. We renegotiating rents on our business now from 21 euro/m2 ( signed in the good times) down to 14 euros. You can even get 9 or 10 in decent areas if you are not too fussy.

We also have a second baby on the way too :)

#63 soldintime

soldintime

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
    * Precious Metals
    * High Yielding shares
    * Forex

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:38 AM

I have a business in Barcelona and Madrid but live in Prague. Had the choice of living in BCN but chose Prague in the end as it is a lot more mellow, that was 7 years ago now. Barcelona is great for visiting though + you have the beach. Also property has dropped if you are going to rent. Check our idealista.com as it has quite a nice feature that shows average prices per m2 in certain areas. We renegotiating rents on our business now from 21 euro/m2 ( signed in the good times) down to 14 euros. You can even get 9 or 10 in decent areas if you are not too fussy.

We also have a second baby on the way too :)

I do check out idealista and pisos. I am amazed you can rent a nice 3 bedroom flat for between 1000 - 1500 in the Eixample area. You will not get that in Brighton UK, so where would you rather be?

Looks like you traveled a lot and have a nice international lifestyle.

#64 soldintime

soldintime

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
    * Precious Metals
    * High Yielding shares
    * Forex

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

Live very nice in Ireland.

http://www.daft.ie/s...daft?id=1011711

#65 soldintime

soldintime

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
    * Precious Metals
    * High Yielding shares
    * Forex

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

1 year later. Rental prices keep falling in Spain. There is so much empty expect it to go lower. This is 3 per sqm rent for a new built.

http://www.idealista...mInm=3&edd=list

Not that I fancy this place.

But even Barcelona now has good rentals for 700-$800 for a 3 bedroom flat. Try to find that in Brighton.

#66 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,242 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

1 year later. Rental prices keep falling in Spain. There is so much empty expect it to go lower. This is 3 per sqm rent for a new built.

http://www.idealista...mInm=3&edd=list

Not that I fancy this place.

But even Barcelona now has good rentals for 700-$800 for a 3 bedroom flat. Try to find that in Brighton.

In July last 2010 you said you were moving to Andorra. Is that where you are now or have you moved to Spain?

It's an interesting thread and one that should be moved to the new Living Overseas section, it's certainly not overseas property investment.

http://www.housepric...hp?showforum=72
Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and it's banks. The UK's Governbankment does policies to enrich bankers at the expense of the public. The more money people are encouraged to borrow, the more money bankers make.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR and interest rates swaps are now being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses.

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#67 soldintime

soldintime

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
    * Precious Metals
    * High Yielding shares
    * Forex

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

In July last 2010 you said you were moving to Andorra. Is that where you are now or have you moved to Spain?

It's an interesting thread and one that should be moved to the new Living Overseas section, it's certainly not overseas property investment.

http://www.housepric...hp?showforum=72

You are right I have moved to Andorra. However within 3 hours drive there is Barcelona and a large stretch of coastal Spain. Now that my family has expanded I am considering renting a 2nd home on the coast or in Barcelona. Or both where I will rent for 1 year on the coast and after that in Barcelona.

We love Barcelona, but the cost of hotels (2 rooms as we have kids), eating out and parking make the option of a 2nd apartment very appealing. I also think of sharing the apartment with one other family that have similar needs.

#68 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,242 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

You are right I have moved to Andorra. However within 3 hours drive there is Barcelona and a large stretch of coastal Spain. Now that my family has expanded I am considering renting a 2nd home on the coast or in Barcelona. Or both where I will rent for 1 year on the coast and after that in Barcelona.

We love Barcelona, but the cost of hotels (2 rooms as we have kids), eating out and parking make the option of a 2nd apartment very appealing. I also think of sharing the apartment with one other family that have similar needs.

In your experiences worldwide is it a 6 month minimum for a long term? Or is anyhwere more flexible without being a lot more expensive for shorter term holiday lets?

I'm not looking at Spain. I fancy trying somewhere tropical and see if it suits me better than it did you but I could try other places on the way.
Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and it's banks. The UK's Governbankment does policies to enrich bankers at the expense of the public. The more money people are encouraged to borrow, the more money bankers make.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR and interest rates swaps are now being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses.

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.

#69 soldintime

soldintime

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
    * Precious Metals
    * High Yielding shares
    * Forex

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

In your experiences worldwide is it a 6 month minimum for a long term? Or is anyhwere more flexible without being a lot more expensive for shorter term holiday lets?

I'm not looking at Spain. I fancy trying somewhere tropical and see if it suits me better than it did you but I could try other places on the way.

I was in Thailand (more topical) in December and their you can rent super cheap 50 a week (not in Bangkok) for 1 month periods. If you are super flexible South East Asia has quiet a few nice place to hang out for a while. If you move around that way you can escape the monsoon season that are different for each country.

#70 thesmartmoney

thesmartmoney

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

-deleted, duplicate

Edited by thesmartmoney, 07 February 2013 - 07:25 PM.

The reasons, the solutions: http://www.positivemoney.org/

She understands, do you?: The Bankers Secret

"Your worth consists of who you are not what you have" Thomas Edison

#71 thesmartmoney

thesmartmoney

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

I was in Thailand (more topical) in December and their you can rent super cheap 50 a week (not in Bangkok) for 1 month periods. If you are super flexible South East Asia has quiet a few nice place to hang out for a while. If you move around that way you can escape the monsoon season that are different for each country.

Hey soldintime, great thread, great inspiration, especially for us in the UK who continue to be at the mercy of the governments determination to prop the housing 'market' up at all costs - very frustrating, on a brighter note, where have your latest ventures taken you? have you set down some roots? do you have a favourite 'go-back-to' place?
The reasons, the solutions: http://www.positivemoney.org/

She understands, do you?: The Bankers Secret

"Your worth consists of who you are not what you have" Thomas Edison

#72 dangermaus

dangermaus

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

whats a good site to find rentals in Prague?

#73 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,242 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

whats a good site to find rentals in Prague?

How long for?

If it's short term have a look at this one. Worldwide rooms in someone's house or some flats/hotels

www.airbnb.co.uk
Democorruptcy

Governbankment

#74 dangermaus

dangermaus

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

Thanks, I've checked that one.

Thinking 6-12 months though

#75 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,242 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Thanks, I've checked that one.

Thinking 6-12 months though

Some here....

http://en.svoboda-wi...ent/apartments/
http://www.apartment...g-term-rentals/
http://www.happyhous...ng-term-rentals
http://prague.craigslist.cz/apa/
Democorruptcy

Governbankment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users