• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 soldintime

soldintime

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • About Me:* Overseas property investment with positive yields.
    * Precious Metals
    * High Yielding shares
    * Forex

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:00 AM

Why pay over the odds in the UK when you can rent for next to nothing in places like thailand.

Checkout this big property only £77 a month rent.

http://www.udonreale...e.com/20069.asp

Sell your house in the Uk and retire early. Or if you can work remotely travel the world and live cheaply like a king.

I am tempted.

#2 The Soup Dragon

The Soup Dragon

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:25 PM

Many that do this forget to make the equity this releases work hard for them and find they can not afford to move back a few years later. (Know that won't be the case for you Soldintime!) Where's your preference now - Malta, Thailand or elsewhere?

#3 Chicken

Chicken

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:32 PM

Believe it or not, that property would still be offering somewhere in the region of 9% yield.

My mum has a plot of land in Southern Thailand and wants to build a house on it. When she told me it would cost somewhere in the region of £10k to build something like that, I told her to go nuts and build a palace for £20k!

#4 TeddyBear

TeddyBear

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:35 PM

Why pay over the odds in the UK when you can rent for next to nothing in places like thailand.

Checkout this big property only £77 a month rent.

http://www.udonreale...e.com/20069.asp

Sell your house in the Uk and retire early. Or if you can work remotely travel the world and live cheaply like a king.

I am tempted.

Agree that renting your way around the world probably makes far more sense than risking property laws in countries where you don't know the language, culture etc. However, Udon is a pretty poor part of Thailand isn't it and not much going on there?
LONDON, April 5, 2004 – The Rt Hon Gordon Brown, MP, Chancellor of the Exchequer, today officially opened Lehman Brothers’ new European headquarters building at 25 Bank Street, Canary Wharf, London.

Commenting on the event, the Rt Hon Gordon Brown, MP, Chancellor of the Exchequer, said: “I would like to pay tribute to the contribution you and your company make to the prosperity of Britain. During its one hundred and fifty year history, Lehman Brothers has always been an innovator, financing new ideas and inventions before many others even began to realise their potential. And it is part of the greatness not just of Lehman Brothers but of the City of London, that as the world economy has opened up, you have succeeded not by sheltering your share of a small protected national market but always by striving for a greater and greater share of the growing global market.”

#5 soldintime

soldintime

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
    * Precious Metals
    * High Yielding shares
    * Forex

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:06 PM

My favourite is still Malta at the moment. Cheap rentals £140- £240 a month for a 2-3 bedroom flat and no council tax. In thailand the yield is not 9% also there you will see yields very close or below the cost of lending. But I could see myself spending 9 months in Malta and 3 months in thailand per year.

Lots of yanks retire in Udon Thani. Cheap and it was a major base in the Vietnam war. I used this house as an example. Udon thani is pushed a lot in American retirement magazine international living.

I would like to rent near a beach but found reasonable 2 bedroom houses in Phuket for £200-£250 a month, same in koh Lanta.

Have your investments save in something like precious metals, high yielding property in Japan, Germany or Uruguay and rent the house you live in. It gives you all the flexibility that you can choose were to live.

Thailand and Malta do not tax you on your overseas earnings. So the capital you have from a house sale will grow free of the tax man.

Companies move HQ to lower tax countries, follow there movement and become a gloabl citizen. Taxes in UK will go up soon, the budget deficit is getting out of control and we have not seen the economy slowing down yet. That will be a double whammy. Throw in Northern Rock plus some other future banking crisis and tax will have to go up dramatically. It is time to become country independent. The hard thing is to convince the other half.

#6 Guest_ringledman_*

Guest_ringledman_*

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:28 PM

My favourite is still Malta at the moment. Cheap rentals £140- £240 a month for a 2-3 bedroom flat and no council tax. In thailand the yield is not 9% also there you will see yields very close or below the cost of lending. But I could see myself spending 9 months in Malta and 3 months in thailand per year.

Lots of yanks retire in Udon Thani. Cheap and it was a major base in the Vietnam war. I used this house as an example. Udon thani is pushed a lot in American retirement magazine international living.

I would like to rent near a beach but found reasonable 2 bedroom houses in Phuket for £200-£250 a month, same in koh Lanta.

Have your investments save in something like precious metals, high yielding property in Japan, Germany or Uruguay and rent the house you live in. It gives you all the flexibility that you can choose were to live.

Thailand and Malta do not tax you on your overseas earnings. So the capital you have from a house sale will grow free of the tax man.

Companies move HQ to lower tax countries, follow there movement and become a gloabl citizen. Taxes in UK will go up soon, the budget deficit is getting out of control and we have not seen the economy slowing down yet. That will be a double whammy. Throw in Northern Rock plus some other future banking crisis and tax will have to go up dramatically. It is time to become country independent. The hard thing is to convince the other half.

Is Malta really that cheap to rent? I fancy moving there if so.
Men for the sake of getting a living forget to live.

Margaret Fuller

The only liberty an inferior man really cherishes is the liberty to quit work, stretch out in the sun, and scratch himself.

H.L. Mencken

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

André Gide

#7 soldintime

soldintime

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
    * Precious Metals
    * High Yielding shares
    * Forex

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:44 AM

Malta outside valetta & sliema is that cheap and gozo is even a bit cheaper.

This one is about £165 per month for 3 bedrooms. http://www.franksalt...Property=104670

This one is £140 for 2 bedroom - http://www.franksalt...Property=103258

Both are fully furnished.

You will find similar things although with higher prices in spain. Too many holiday home people that can't sell and have only 3-6 weeks rent a year are happy for you to take a long term rent at 350-400 euros for 3 bedroom place.

I like malta as it has some tax advantages over spain. Nice place to run your investments from free from the taxman.

#8 soldintime

soldintime

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
    * Precious Metals
    * High Yielding shares
    * Forex

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:55 AM

Cyprus great country to retire when you have a pension, only taxed 5%.

rent flat with nice pool for http://www.simplycyp...l.php?offset=16

when you are bored you find somewhere else to go.

#9 john84

john84

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:03 AM

You could always retire to Bulgaria - a British pension goes along way here http://www.hiday.net...s.php?newsid=74

#10 soldintime

soldintime

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
    * Precious Metals
    * High Yielding shares
    * Forex

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:25 PM

Bulgaria, not high on my list. Short summer. Taxed on worldwide income. Don't know the healthcare situation. Plus I like good cuisine.

#11 soldintime

soldintime

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
    * Precious Metals
    * High Yielding shares
    * Forex

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:03 PM

Confirmed again. Too many holiday rentals depress the market. Renting is the way forward especially in holiday destinations. See this article recently published in Money week. Join the rental revolution.

Holiday lets “desperate” for punters.

There seems to be a “collective myopia” on the property pages about
the letting of holiday homes, says Stephen Womack. There are endless
articles about the likely investment growth and letting potential of your
holiday home, but no one ever talks about who your tenants will be.
The truth is that there is only a finite pool of Britons who want to rent a
villa in the sun: many prefer a hotel holiday, while others would rather
have adventure. Remember, too, that “each person who buys a second
home deprives the rest of the market not of one tenant, but several”.
Friends and family will often get free use, or qualify for ‘mates rates’.
Property agents argue that tenants will just come from further afield –
from India, say or China. But with environmental pressures and oil
costs likely to soar over the next decade, this seems unlikely. One
warning sign is already there: many property investors who feature as
media case studies now only do so in return for a plug for their rental
site. Their desperation probably isn’t unique.

#12 dogbox

dogbox

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts
  • About Me:Dance music, nature / ecology, bushcraft, Krav Maga (hand to hand and armed combat martial art as used by special forces).

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:33 AM

TOURISTIC PROPERTY RENTALS;

Whilst I am aware of people who struggle to let thier touristic property I am also aware that we ALWAYS struggle to find a villa in the locations we have tried, namely, Menorca, Sardinia, Greece and Calcan in Turkey.
This has been our experience over the last 10 years and even when we book well in advance all the properties we want have gone!

In other words there is demand for the right property in the right location.

EXTENDING THE SEASON;

When we wanted to buy a villa abroad our biggest concern was not to have an investment that is un let outside the main summer season which is a common problem in many resorts.
We felt our best chance of capturing off season rentals was to buy in a very large development which had masses of facilities to draw people off season, in the way that Centre Parks do.
We also wanted a development with a beach a lots of onsite golf as well as good medical facilities on site.

With everything in life there is a correct formula. Those that simply buy on 'just another' Spannish development may well find rentals will not be sufficient.
And God said unto Luke 'come forth and thee shall have eternal life', but Luke came fifth and won a toaster.

'My children are Christian' is like saying 'my children are Conservatives' - at least have the common decency to let the little blighters make up thier own minds

#13 catara

catara

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:31 PM

Whilst I am aware of people who struggle to let thier touristic property I am also aware that we ALWAYS struggle to find a villa in the locations we have tried, namely, Menorca, Sardinia, Greece and Calcan in Turkey.
This has been our experience over the last 10 years and even when we book well in advance all the properties we want have gone!

This is the best joke of the the new year.

There are 100 of thousands of villas for rent and you tell me that you have not found one???
That means you either are totally ignorant and do not not how to search or that you are just an arogant freak who wants the Moon for dinner.

#14 soldintime

soldintime

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
    * Precious Metals
    * High Yielding shares
    * Forex

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

There's a better way:

+ Live where's its cheap, because property cycles have slid
+ Buy where you live, provided they have turned up again

Doug Casey has done this all around the world, and I'm doing it now in Hong Kong

Check out: http://www.EscapeArtist.com

Yes that sounds OK if you know where you want to live. At the moment I like to stay in Europe. I want to stay in a place that does not tax you on your worldwide income. The best place is Malta at the moment and renting is dirt cheap compared to buying. I will invest elsewhere for good returns.

#15 soldintime

soldintime

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
    * Precious Metals
    * High Yielding shares
    * Forex

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:57 PM

In other words there is demand for the right property in the right location.

EXTENDING THE SEASON;

When we wanted to buy a villa abroad our biggest concern was not to have an investment that is un let outside the main summer season which is a common problem in many resorts.
We felt our best chance of capturing off season rentals was to buy in a very large development which had masses of facilities to draw people off season, in the way that Centre Parks do.
We also wanted a development with a beach a lots of onsite golf as well as good medical facilities on site.

With everything in life there is a correct formula. Those that simply buy on 'just another' Spannish development may well find rentals will not be sufficient.

Hopefully it will all work out. Loads of these all in resorts or places on the golf courses are being built. What might look like a good investment for a while will eventually not provide enough rental return. Centre Parks have captured the market for people that want to do a local holiday in their own country very well. Family gatherings are very popular. I doubt if this will work longer distance.

With credit crunch happening and recession down the corner in UK and other european countries I doubt if there will be good rental years for the next 1-3 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users