#196 the flying pig

the flying pig

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:31 PM

top, top journalism by the advertiser.

the newspaper should throw its weight behind this campaign.

My link
"HOUSE PRICES FALL AGAIN", Daily Express, 28th Dec 2007... "HOUSE PRICES RISING AGAIN", Daily Express, 29th Dec 2007

#197 Si1

Si1

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,151 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:33 PM

top, top journalism by the advertiser.

the newspaper should throw its weight behind this campaign.

My link

“There is no objection in principle to the development of this land. More importantly, and unusually, there is no disagreement between residents and the applicants – we are all united in the view that the area is both unsuitable and unsustainable as a location for affordable housing accommodation.”

:lol:

I was searching for the words "we don't want that sort of thing here do we", not quite there, but should be!

#198 Tattoo'd Lady

Tattoo'd Lady

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

How about this one - 25% reduction in asking price in 9 month (went on the market in January 2011) - started at £699,959 now £525,000

4 bed detached Rossett Park Road, Harrogate, HG2

Property Bee shows us:

07 September 2011
• Price changed: £525,000
20 June 2011
• Price changed: £540,000
15 February 2011
• Price changed: £599,950
03 February 2011
• Price changed: £625,000
31 January 2011
• Price changed: £650,000
14 January 2011
• Brief Description found: A brick built, four bedroom, detached family property situated in this much sought after location to the favoured south side of Harrogate, forming part of this quiet residential area close to the Leed...
• Price found: £699,950

#199 Tattoo'd Lady

Tattoo'd Lady

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:17 AM

How about this - £575,000 reduced to £499,000 1 month after listing.

(Although the £575k figure was absolutely mental and the £499k is still well overpriced for the location - but looks like someone has had a sudden dose of reality)

5 bed detached Pecketts Way

14 September 2011

Price changed: £575,000 £499,999

12 August 2011

Brief Description found: A beautifully presented, brick built, detached and extended family property situated in this popular residential location close to local shopping parades and, in turn, the Harrogate town centre, offer...
Price found: £575,000

#200 the flying pig

the flying pig

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:22 PM

How about this - £575,000 reduced to £499,000 1 month after listing.

(Although the £575k figure was absolutely mental and the £499k is still well overpriced for the location - but looks like someone has had a sudden dose of reality)

5 bed detached Pecketts Way

14 September 2011

Price changed: £575,000 £499,999

12 August 2011

Brief Description found: A beautifully presented, brick built, detached and extended family property situated in this popular residential location close to local shopping parades and, in turn, the Harrogate town centre, offer...
Price found: £575,000

Hate it.

People say, don't they, that it's a lot better to buy the worst house on the best street rather than vice versa. This would be a classic example of doing the opposite.

The front looks rubbish - extended to a width that doesn't suit the house type at all, and a loft conversion in a medium-to-large sized house in a low-to-mid priced area smacks of desperation.

And what kind of street name is "Pecket"?

This all said, it's offering a lot of square footage in [the very outskirts of] a very expensive town. The >£500k price tag was pure fantasy, I doubt they had a single viewing at that level, but I daresay that north of £400k is achievable.
"HOUSE PRICES FALL AGAIN", Daily Express, 28th Dec 2007... "HOUSE PRICES RISING AGAIN", Daily Express, 29th Dec 2007

#201 Sof

Sof

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:48 PM

Is it me, or are there more empty shops in Harrogate than usual at the moment.

#202 Si1

Si1

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,151 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:21 PM

but I daresay that north of £400k is achievable.

lookinmg at horrogate lettings - 5 bed vaguely detached modern house, of the order of £1500 pcm

this gives a yield-based valuatiuon of less than 200k

they may ACHIEVE 400k for it but the buyers are being ripped off

#203 Daily Obscurer

Daily Obscurer

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:15 AM

Hate it.

People say, don't they, that it's a lot better to buy the worst house on the best street rather than vice versa. This would be a classic example of doing the opposite.

The front looks rubbish - extended to a width that doesn't suit the house type at all, and a loft conversion in a medium-to-large sized house in a low-to-mid priced area smacks of desperation.

And what kind of street name is "Pecket"?

This all said, it's offering a lot of square footage in [the very outskirts of] a very expensive town. The >£500k price tag was pure fantasy, I doubt they had a single viewing at that level, but I daresay that north of £400k is achievable.

Considering that the maximum price ever paid for a house on Pecketts Way was £425k in March, 2008 then I really doubt that they will get over £400k for it now. I live pretty close to Harrogate and have seen a lot bigger houses start to fall into the price bracket why I could feasibly consider trading up so the prices are significantly less than the 2008 level.

#204 the flying pig

the flying pig

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

The Advertiser's most recent front page was a classic.

'House prices double in ten years'.

The website used a slightly different headline, I'm the only person to have commented on it...

#205 spyguy

spyguy

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Harrogate, York, Leeds have thrown up a number of complete properdee t0ssers.
Most of which are in varyinf stages of bankruptcy.
It would be funny if it was not our money.
Seriously, anyone going bust ownign more than £2m shouldbe thrown in prison for the rest of their life.

Who can forget the great:

Guy Brudell

http://www.gazettehe...f___21_million/

Last heard of with loads of investors who were going to pay off his debts.

Kevin Linfoot

http://www.yorkshire...mpany_1_2346102

He can't read. He can't write. He can't do sums.
Neither could his bank.

David Hattersly

York's very own Donald Tramp

http://www.yorkpress...prises_to_bank/

Week in, week out, the Yorkshire Post and various local rags had puff piece after puff piece on these 'business' genius',

The next big one I've got my eye on is the Skelwith Group.

What could possibly go wrong with an unregulated investment being sold to SIPP investors?

http://www.principal...raithwaite-hall

They must be fantastic hoteliers cos I've compared their figures against other hotel groups and they are fantastic. Almost unbelievable ...

#206 Disgruntled Investor

Disgruntled Investor

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

Interesting post spyguy and you've pointed some of the more 'famous' failures. I've been watching the hotel room market / Skelwith for a while now. I just wonder if these people who have bought hotel rooms have ever considered what happens if they need to liquidate their asset. Presumably there will be an estate agent out there willing to take on the sale for a fee.

#207 the flying pig

the flying pig

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

this is one of the more overpriced houses that i've seen lately.

another textbook case of 'best [overextended/overdeveloped] house on a mediocre street'. £380k asking, nice. maybe, er, the new tesco is pushing prices up already :lol: .

Edited by the flying pig, 24 May 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#208 stu531

stu531

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

This thread hasn't been touched for a while.

Harrogate as we know is an oddity. House prices are continuing to go bananas again. In the area there's a dearth of houses on the market, with the odd few that have ironically been on the market for a long time. As in, they either fly, or they stay on for an age. The trend is definitely upwards though.

Limited house building in the area due to the massive number of NIMBYs - still. Some developments on Harlow Moor Road and off Skipton Road in the future, but nothing major.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users