HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:11 PM

Bear in mind average wage = £17,500 gross

RIDICULOUS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jesus H God Dam Christ looks like Beruit.
To know the road ahead, ask those coming back.

#32 zzg113

zzg113

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,042 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:13 PM

isn't "bedroom 2" great?

The walls are closing in on meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :o :o :o :o :o

Let me guess, is it sales property of the week cos they can't believe that someone actually paid 1/3 of a million pounds for that battery-chicken coop?
Al Greenspan, who facilitated the birth of world-wide HPI with irrationally exuberant interest rates

mortgage

#33 Yonmon

Yonmon

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:14 PM

http://www.landsdown...of_the_week.htm

Part of a house for 295k- isn't "bedroom 2" great?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A repayment mortgage with insurance etc would probably be about £2400 a month, for what is really a 1 bed flat. Or, in nearby Acton you could rent a 4 bed house for over £1000 a month less (see link below). Now let me think, rent or buy? hmmm.....

http://213.219.11.24...prop&pid=260809

#34 Gtr London FTB

Gtr London FTB

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:24 PM

http://www.landsdown...of_the_week.htm

Part of a house for 295k- isn't "bedroom 2" great?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It'll never sell for anywhere near that, there are much nicer 2 bed flats in W6 for under £250k

#35 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,541 posts

http://www.rightmove...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

I saw a thread somewhere about a mobile home for £180K

Well i ve managed to see this one for £185K

Is it a really good buy?

untitled.PNG

#36 weaver

weaver

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

right move

Nice if you've always fancied living in a sauna and you relish the prospect of cabin fever!!

#37 Gtr London FTB

Gtr London FTB

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:25 PM

A repayment mortgage with insurance etc would probably be about £2400 a month, for what is really a 1 bed flat. Or, in nearby Acton you could rent a 4 bed house for over £1000 a month less (see link below). Now let me think, rent or buy? hmmm.....

http://213.219.11.24...prop&pid=260809

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, however I'd much rather live in Hammersmith than Acton. Acton is really dire.

#38 A Fool & His Borrowed Money

A Fool & His Borrowed Money

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:32 PM

Are you from there? Is it as bad as people make out? I have a cousin living in Donny and she thinks it's the dog's ********.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im from Doncaster

Not as bad as some towns/cities ive lived in before but,

Yep, i can probably say it does have a high STD rate, prob coz the nightlife is mental, pubs 'n' clubs have taken over much of the town in the last 7 years or so & as such attract loadsa people hence the High std rate

Local council talk ********, they have tripled my tax rate since 2000 & are now going on a spending spree building a "stadium" hmmn, "A Major international Airport to rival Heathrow" when the site has poor transport links, plus others i dont care to mention
Main Chavvie places in doncaster would be Edlington, Highfields as mentioned earlier & some parts of Balby.

Oh, and were to become a city - only the council have been trying 8 times so far i think & have subsequentley failed & are now getting desperate hence all this new building, lol
A Society of Sheep will in time Create a
Government of Wolves

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web Links:
Tom Vu-Property- The New Get-Rich-Quick-Scheme
Britney Spears explains the subprime Housing Bubble Crash
Subprime explained
House Price History & future??
EA's Blog
House Prices only go up!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"There's a shortage of housing"
"Really?, how many homeless people did you trip over on your way to work this morning?"
"Err,...None.
"That's because there isnt a shortage of housing, Dimwit!"
----------------------------------------------
"House prices are all about Supply & Demand- there's a shortage of supply, this is what makes the prices higher"
-Indeed, they are all about supply & demand. Supply & demand of Cheap, Globally-financed credit that is.
[/quote]

#39 Yonmon

Yonmon

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:38 PM

True, however I'd much rather live in Hammersmith than Acton.  Acton is really dire.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've lived in Acton for 3 years, large parts of are OK, some bits are really nice and some bits are shit. Just like Hammersmith in fact. OK, more nice bits in Hammersmith, but the difference isnt that extreme overall.
Hammersmith is still massively overpriced in relation to nearby areas despite a year of price falls.

#40 Gtr London FTB

Gtr London FTB

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:42 PM

I've lived in Acton for 3 years, large parts of are OK, some bits are really nice and some bits are shit. Just like Hammersmith in fact. OK, more nice bits in Hammersmith, but the difference isnt that extreme overall. 
Hammersmith is still massively overpriced in relation to nearby areas despite a year of price falls.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep can't get over the prices in Hammersmith, I think it's because there actualy isn't all that much residential property there. It's a bit cheaper in the Barons Court area but the aircraft noise is probably the reason.

I lived in Acton for about 6 months and it's not that the area is rough, I just found it particularly depressing.

#41 zzg113

zzg113

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,042 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:44 PM

Not as bad as some towns/cities ive lived in before

Where have you lived before AF&HBM? :blink:
Al Greenspan, who facilitated the birth of world-wide HPI with irrationally exuberant interest rates

mortgage

#42 beerhunter

beerhunter

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:50 PM

£40k for a garage :lol:

#43 bottletop

bottletop

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 10:25 PM

down in the dumps

leicester's finest...

NEW BRIDGE STREET, LEICESTER.

Price £195,000 Freehold.

Entrance Hall
Lounge
Dining Room
Kitchen
Ground Floor Shower Room/wc
Three Bedrooms
Bathroom
Separate w/c
Double Glazing
Gas Central Heating
Garage

#44 Nico

Nico

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:40 PM

Some of those trailer park mobile homes are works of art, I tell you !! £75k for one of those ?

And the Hammersmith flat with the double bedroom that contains a double bed that touches all four walls......great stuff.

Now then. As for the debate about Acton and Hammersmith. I have lived in Fulham, Hammersmith and now live on the very south side of Acton.

From an estate agents point of view, Hammersmith hasn't really existed for some time - it is Ravenscourt Park on the west side, West Kensington on the north east side and Fulham on the south side. Broadly speaking, anyway. So Hammersmith was pretty much limited to the immediate vicinity of the roundabout. The high street is pretty awful, but some of the residential areas (that the estate agents refer to as Fulham, etc) are fairly pleasant. The area near the river is lovely.

On to Acton. It is a huge area, and to describe it, you really need to break it down into several separate areas - east / west / north / south as they are all quite different. Acton has historical links with the railways - there was a large goods yard and a large part of Acton stilll has this industrial vibe to it.

I live on the south side, not so far away from Chiswick, and the road I live on is actually pretty nice - tree lined, quiet but you can tell that a large % of the houses are split into rented flats. Literally 2 minutes away is one of the biggest council estates in Europe and another 2 minutes you are back in the middle class suburbia that is "Chiswick borders" (read: estate agent speak for South Acton).

Acton high street isn't particularly nice - at night, it is now dominated by a few pubs full of Australian travellers, and there are lots them wandering around drunk at the weekends.

There is also a large migrant population, namely Poles, although I still can't work out exactly why they choose Acton in particular.

So in summary, it's not a bad area to live. I used to live just off Holloway Road - trust me, you can do far worse than Acton

#45 Confiteor

Confiteor

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 12:29 AM

These threads shouldn't be allowed to die - they are just too good.

The 185K "park home" and that "thing" in Anglesey are the best yet.

Keep 'em coming.
"Unemployment was also at a decade low in 1990," notes James Ferguson in MoneyWeek. "It didn't prevent a crash then. In fact, the crash in property and the consequent recession were what sent the unemployment rate up from a ten-year low of 6.8% in 1990 to more than 10% by 1994."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users