8 replies to this topic

#1 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,360 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:51 PM

Does anyone subscribe to The Fleet Street Letter? Is it any good? I keep getting ads for it in my Moneyweek emails and just wondered what are people's views on it?
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#2 urban_hymn

urban_hymn

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:43 PM

I subscribe to both Moneyweek magazine and The Fleet Street Letter but I won't be renewing my subscription to the FSL.

IMHO there's nothing in the Fleet Street Letter than can't be derived from carefully reading Moneyweek.

The FSL has a slightly fusty old fashioned feel to it. It is a traditional tip sheet and the tips are generally safe and solid but no 10 baggers here!

Moneyweek is better for helping you to form your own opinions about the range of speculative options out there.
What is lost is never gained again
I've cast the spell that eternity chains
No more to cry O' mortal soul
The astral path is now your fortuitous role

#3 andrew_uk

andrew_uk

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:41 PM

I keep seeing adverts about the 6 shares to buy to profit from a 70's style meltdown (I think it's the fleet street letter). It even has a picture of an Austin Allegro. I personally don't think any good investment starts with me paying for advice. So I'd never pay for any of these things but I'll be honest I was curious which shares they had highlightened. But my curiosity is lower than my desire to keep my money in my pocket.

#4 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,360 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:04 PM

Thanks.
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#5 urban_hymn

urban_hymn

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 08:38 AM

But my curiosity is lower than my desire to keep my money in my pocket.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A very sound approach considering how many "snake oil" salesmen there are in the financial world.
What is lost is never gained again
I've cast the spell that eternity chains
No more to cry O' mortal soul
The astral path is now your fortuitous role

#6 needmorespace

needmorespace

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 12:29 PM

Interesting topic of debate. I decided to do some investing in non-UK markets and so I opened some subscriptions to Changewave Investing, both the regular letter as well as the Microcap and Biotech ones. The driving force behind them is an overblown, stuffed shirt character called Tobin Smith who appears in a regular investing slot on the Fox News Channel. It's coming to a point where I can cancel the subscriptions and get most of my money back. I must admit, though, they have been quite useful. Although they tend to massively overpuff their successful picks and ignore their clunkers I have made some good returns by carefully screening the recommendations and more importantly I've had a really good, compressed education in US and Canadian markets for metals, energy, biotech and other technology stocks.

Does anyone have experience of these or other similar newsletters? I can't decide whether to continue.

#7 Ginarose

Ginarose

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:19 PM

Interesting topic of debate. I decided to do some investing in non-UK markets and so I opened some subscriptions to Changewave Investing, both the regular letter as well as the Microcap and Biotech ones. The driving force behind them is an overblown, stuffed shirt character called Tobin Smith who appears in a regular investing slot on the Fox News Channel. It's coming to a point where I can cancel the subscriptions and get most of my money back. I must admit, though, they have been quite useful. Although they tend to massively overpuff their successful picks and ignore their clunkers I have made some good returns by carefully screening the recommendations and more importantly I've had a really good, compressed education in US and Canadian markets for metals, energy, biotech and other technology stocks.

Does anyone have experience of these or other similar newsletters? I can't decide whether to continue.

Forget all those expensive tipsheets - there's a guy at stockgumshoe.com who works out what they are all tipping without having to subscribe.

#8 mustafa64

mustafa64

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:55 AM

I too was a bit skeptical about the Fleet street letter, however, some of the shares in the portfolio were well selected. From the shares I added to my portfolio I received an increase in 21.02%. I think you have to pick a choose from the shares presented, but all in all, I found it a useful source of info.

#9 DrGUID

DrGUID

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:21 PM

I don't know why anybody buys small cap shares, the spreads are usually so big you end up losing 3-10% of your money as soon as you've bought the stocks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users