484 replies to this topic

#1 Harry Monk

Harry Monk

The Official HPC Paraffin Lamp

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

Hi, have done a search and can't find this covered, apologies if it has been and mods please merge if so.

Is it worth trying to get hold of some Post Office shares when they are sold, particularly in terms of selling them again in the near future at a profit?
.........................................................................................................................................................................
"Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defence against a homicidal maniac." -George Orwell.

#2 hotairmail

hotairmail

Tired of life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,284 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

I'm not sure this investment will deliver.

"The chicken is radiating disorder out into the wider universe."

#3 Eddie_George

Eddie_George

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

No way Josť.

Letters are dead, parcels are not but Royal Mail has too much competition in that area.

Edited by Eddie_George, 28 September 2013 - 09:25 AM.

#4 Dazbo1983

Dazbo1983

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

Royal Mail have lost a lot of the lucrative package deliver to competitors. As a previous poster commented, letters are likely to be a dwindling trend over the coming years.

A close friend works for Royal Mail, and from his experience after 14 years service, the management are an absolute disgrace. How they avoid constructive dismissal cases being brought against them is beyond me.
Whether these are representative of the Company as a whole, I am unsure.
Where a Company has poor management, poor employee engagement is typically a poor investment IMO.

My view: stay well clear.

#5 MARTINX9

MARTINX9

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

My dad is a Post Office pensioner - given all the contributions he made over his 35 year service to make it what it is today I am surprised he isn't getting free shares! :D

Probably not a good investment - and Labour opposes the sale which will no doubt depress the price.

#6 stormymonday_2011

stormymonday_2011

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

Hi, have done a search and can't find this covered, apologies if it has been and mods please merge if so.

Is it worth trying to get hold of some Post Office shares when they are sold, particularly in terms of selling them again in the near future at a profit?

If it was a 'free money' privatisation it would have been flogged off years ago.

The fact that the government have held onto it for so long tells you all you need to know about its long term viability

The property assets may be worth something and I suspect that is what might be attracting some investors

Edited by stormymonday_2011, 28 September 2013 - 10:58 AM.

The certainty of misery is preferable to the the misery of uncertainty

#7 Dames

Dames

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

The property assets may be worth something and I suspect that is what might be attracting some investors

Looks like about £1.6 Bil in freehold and £900mil ish in leasehold.

D
Low Inflation - Letting your loan, linger, longer.

#8 Eddie_George

Eddie_George

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

D

Valued at today's bubble prices? ;)

#9 Saving For a Space Ship

Saving For a Space Ship

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,965 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

D

How much are the liabilities in business rates if they close down the sorting or post office and then cannot relet or sell ?

#10 motch

motch

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

Royal Mail have lost a lot of the lucrative package deliver to competitors. As a previous poster commented, letters are likely to be a dwindling trend over the coming years.

A close friend works for Royal Mail, and from his experience after 14 years service, the management are an absolute disgrace. How they avoid constructive dismissal cases being brought against them is beyond me.
Whether these are representative of the Company as a whole, I am unsure.
Where a Company has poor management, poor employee engagement is typically a poor investment IMO.

My view: stay well clear.

mirrors my experience. there's going to be good and bad, and competent and incompetent workers and managers - tends to be a higher percentage of bad managers though :rolleyes:

yes letters are dwindling but I still get close to about a thousand to deliver most days, plus leaflets, and an evering increasing amount of small packets and slight increase in larger parcels.

would knocking off one day of delivery a week, or even have every other day delivery solve/make it hugely profitable?

#11 longtomsilver

longtomsilver

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

I think the share offer will be a success. There'll be lots of small private investors moving cash out from under the mattress and the government can't afford to get egg on it's face it will be fully underwritten first week of trading. For that reason I have registered and expect to make a quick £1k or 10% long term not great though.
10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash - Now we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash So, what left? Alcohol.

John Baker, Aberdeen 8/10/2011 22:34
http://www.dailymail...n.html#comments

"the world seems a better place when you're wearing beer goggles".

Quote buried in same article from 27 year old female subject painting the town of Cardiff red on a booze fuelled night out.

#12 Ah-so

Ah-so

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,941 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

Most of the replies have not answered your question, because you are considering buying them "in terms of selling them again in the near future at a profit".

Probably they were correct to answer a different question - of whether you would be investing in a profitable business.

The answer to your question is "it depends on the price the shares are offered for". If the shares are offered at a reasonable discount to their true value, you should get a reasonable uptick. If there is considerable institutional demand, we should see an uptick.

If it goes straight into the FTSE100, tracker funds will need to buy it, so wthere ill be plenty of demand initially.

#13 Dames

Dames

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

Smallest M/Cap on ftse 100 seems to be VED at £2.8bil so it will be close.
Low Inflation - Letting your loan, linger, longer.

#14 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,979 posts
  • About Me:Vote LABOURTORY. You have no choice!

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

No way Josť.

Letters are dead, parcels are not but Royal Mail has too much competition in that area.

Today, wandered into town and once again a huge queue outside the sorting office. People trying to collect their undelivered parcels. The downside of internet purchases. Buy online to avoid a trip into town and then end up spending more time in town to collect your purchases. Might as well go to Argos.

Probably a business opportunity there somewhere, but damned if I know what it is!

As for whether to buy Royal Mail shares, I'll probably consult the HPC contrary indicator.

Edited by aSecureTenant, 28 September 2013 - 04:16 PM.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#15 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,776 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

What you don't owe won't worry you.

Less can be more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users