27 replies to this topic

#1 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,893 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

I see headlines in the Welsh papers like this, and the below articles, and then I open the Property papers in those same Welsh papers and I am blown away by the asking prices in Wales. Something does not compute.

Living standards in Wales have gone down further than in almost every country in Europe over the last two years, official figures have revealed.

A comparison of salaries against inflation across the EU between the third quarter of 2010 and the third quarter of 2012 shows that the real value of pay in the UK declined by 3.2%.

Only three of the 27 member states – Greece, -10.3%: Cyprus, -4.6% and Netherlands, -3.8% – did worse.

But, said shadow Welsh secretary Owen Smith, other official figures show that Wales did even worse than the UK as a whole.

http://www.walesonli.../#ixzz2MfIc5i6J

One in five in Wales 'have skipped meals' due to money problems

One in five people in Wales have skipped a meal because they could not afford to buy food, a new report has found.

Rising food prices at a time of benefits cuts and stagnant wages is causing a crisis where people are eating less and eating less healthily, with warnings the majority of people could be one crisis from going hungry.

One report, which was put together by the Centre for Economics and Business Research on behalf of Kellogg’s, found households in Wales are the second most likely to be in food poverty after Northern Ireland.

The report was put together in conjunction with the Trussell Trust, which runs foodbanks across Wales, offering a three day emergency supply of food to people referred to them by charities and social services after hitting crisis point.

A second report, by research agency Opinion Matters also on behalf of Kellogg’s, found 21% have skipped a meal as a result of a limited food budget.

Trussell Trust Wales network manager Tony Graham said: “What we’re finding on the ground is that more and more people are struggling to pay all their bills and put food on their table.

“There’s very few people who have thousands in their savings.

“The majority live from month to month, you lose your job, you miss a payment or the car breaks down, you’re very quickly in trouble.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2013/03/05/one-in-five-in-wales-have-skipped-meals-due-to-money-problems-91466-32923318/#ixzz2MfIu37R6
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#2 Gone baby gone

Gone baby gone

So long, it's been a blast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,383 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

I see headlines in the Welsh papers like this, and the below articles, and then I open the Property papers in those same Welsh papers and I am blown away by the asking prices in Wales. Something does not compute.

Chinese millionaires snapping up property in Wales.

Or English holiday homes... Posted Image

#3 cashinmattress

cashinmattress

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

Well, they still have the Dirty Sanches nutters, Tom Jones, pot noodle, and a few ex-Kings of England to be proud of.

Better than can be said for a lot of Europe.

#4 dances with sheeple

dances with sheeple

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

http://www.walesonli.../#ixzz2MfIu37R6

It computes for me as - Many believed the crap they saw on telly about property. The actual economic reality is somewhat different, but many can`t or won`t accept that their house is worth much less than they thought?

As for the missed meals, I am very sceptical about all the media pronouncements about food inflation. IMO they fear deflation,and are desperately trying to talk some into the economy. I can honestly say I have never met anyone during this "crisis" who has said they use food banks. I know it is a luxury item, but the fact you can now get a decent single malt in tesco for around £20 screams deflation to me? My last online shop (tesco) came to about £80, admittedly mainly tinned food, but a LOT of stuff.

I can buy that people are missing a meal to pay a stupidly large mortgage? (these are the people kite flying the daft asking prices I think) but I will believe the hyperinflation nonsense when I see it. (Not having a pop at you MT, more the media presentation of "facts")

Edited by dances with sheeple, 05 March 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#5 swissy_fit

swissy_fit

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,523 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

Wander round Wales a bit and it doesn't look as if many of the women miss meals very often.
If you want to know what the next political move will be, ask yourself what will suit the banks, and behold, the answer will come to you.

The Credit Crunch :
The logical financial outcome is deflation. The logical political outcome is inflation. (Thanks to Injin 21st Sept 2008)

#6 dances with sheeple

dances with sheeple

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

Wander round Wales a bit and it doesn't look as if many of the women miss meals very often.

Yes, I think the west in general has a long way to go before we know what really missing meals is about? The only really skinny people I see in Edinburgh are junkies (or teenage girls with mental problems about "weight issues")

#7 long time lurking

long time lurking

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

http://www.walesonli.../#ixzz2MfIu37R6

Up until the end of January prices in my part of wales and the part of the market I`m looking at was going the right way ,and have been doing so for a long time

But silly season started in a big way concerning asking prices and were talking 2 years worth of small percentage drops being wiped out with the stroke of a pen

Has anyone else noticed the same in there area ?

Edited by long time lurking, 05 March 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#8 Paece

Paece

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

I spent four days in Norwich last week staying with a relative and her boyfriend; relative is on some kind of sickness benefit, lives in mortgaged 3 bed semi, monthly mortgage is peanuts, relative acknowledged if interest rates go up she's screwed (she also mentioned "nothing is selling" in Norwich/Norfolk).

Partner is long term unemployed and has city centre council flat.

Both of them eat once a day, large cooked meal about 6 pm. I was driving them crazy by asking for breakfast and lunch, they don't budget for either as they can't afford it.

#9 Paece

Paece

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

I spent four days in Norwich last week staying with a relative and her boyfriend; relative is on some kind of sickness benefit, lives in mortgaged 3 bed semi, monthly mortgage is peanuts, relative acknowledged if interest rates go up she's screwed (she also mentioned "nothing is selling" in Norwich/Norfolk).

Partner is long term unemployed and has city centre council flat.

Both of them eat once a day, large cooked meal about 6 pm. I was driving them crazy by asking for breakfast and lunch, they don't budget for either as they can't afford it.

Forgot to mention, had to secretly sneak into McDonalds at one point I was so hungry!

#10 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,979 posts
  • About Me:Vote LABOURTORY. You have no choice!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

Maybe they are fans of Durch's fasting thread in Off Topic as well and didn't want to let on they read HPC as well! Posted Image

Edited by Secure Tenant, 05 March 2013 - 01:41 PM.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#11 Bloo Loo

Bloo Loo

Ripened on the Diversity Vine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,506 posts
  • About Me:Im Bloo yabba dee yabba die.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Forgot to mention, had to secretly sneak into McDonalds at one point I was so hungry!

surprised that helped.
WARNING

Your
country is at risk
if you
do not keep up repayments
on a gilt or other loan secured on it

#12 bristolhunter

bristolhunter

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

I don't believe these stats, but apparently 5m can't cook. Below 10% of the population, so if Wales is 1 in 5 they're really overrepresented.

Seeing as doctors say 60% of adults and 30% of kids need to lose weight quick sharp, I'm struggling to see a 7% reduction in food sold as a bad thing. More like nowhere near enough!
Ashley Mote - former UKIP MEP jailed for benefit fraud
Tom Wise - former UKIP MEP jailed for money laundering

Godfrey Bloom - UKIP MEP who said his £57k salary wasn't enough to live on
Nigel Farage - UKIP MEP who boasted about costing over £2m in expenses as an MEP

NO WONDER PEOPLE CALL THEM THE WORST OF THE LOT

#13 Paece

Paece

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

surprised that helped.

Hadn't eaten all day, by 4 pm was starving so said I'm just going to visit a shop, nipped into McD's and wolfed down a double cheeseburger to see me through, cheeseburger was suspiciciously small and not very nice!

#14 Paece

Paece

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

Maybe they are fans of Durch's fasting thread in Off Topic as well and didn't want to let on they read HPC as well! Posted Image

I tend not to mention I read HPC to people as most people I know are mortgaged up to the hilt and don't want to hear it!

Relative also told me of a self-employed friend of hers who bought a house with massive mortgage in a small village outside Norwich, work not just dried up but stopped dead, will be in serious trouble in a couple of months (this person is also subsidising parents who are penniless in the US after losing £100k to some scam).

#15 Hail the Tripod

Hail the Tripod

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Oh boy, you really shouldn't have any McAccidents ever again:

http://weinterrupt.c...-eat-fast-food/
If you've ever doubted that fast food is full of so many preservatives that it never rots then look at the picture below very carefully.

This is the face of a one-year old cheeseburger from McDonald's.
Posted Image

Funny, I worked at McDonalds on and off for about 10 years, and the food rotted just as quickly as anything supermarket bought. Maybe it's different in Canada.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users