#1 interestrateripoff

interestrateripoff

Carry on banking.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 47,014 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

http://www.telegraph...-of-pounds.html

Families could be entitled to claim up to £2,000 per child every year from their tax bills to cover the cost of childminders and nurseries as part of a new government scheme to help families.

The childcare plans form the centrepiece of new proposals set out in the Coalition’s mid-term review, which is being unveiled today by Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister at a rare joint press conference in Downing Street.

Other new measures will include new financial support to help first time buyers get on the housing ladder by making mortgages more affordable to young people.

The Government will also announce a new flat rate £140 a week state pension, funded by increases in the state retirement age, and new plans for more new road tolls to cover the cost of new investment in transport infrastructure.

In the age of austerity more freebies.

Proof that Brown had repeated IMF / OECD / BIS warnings over house prices and did nothing!!!
Looting: The Economic Underworld Of Bankruptcy For Profit
The exponential growth of debt and the unsustainability of debt
The logic of HPI @ 10% YoY means your £100k house would be worth £1.38bn in 100 years
Paying down my mortgage with money found on the street

It's time to sue the Bank of England / Federal Reserve for GROSS NEGLIGENCE
If DEBT is the problem REPAYMENT is the solution or you default

"The trouble with the world was that prices were so low that only the rich people could buy and the aim of the Conference was to raise them to a point where it would again be possible for poor people to buy something."

"Northern unemployment is an acceptable price to pay for curbing southern inflation" Eddie George former Governor of the Bank of England

New digest on the credit crisis and economy Part2 Part 3

smaller.jpg

#2 easy2012

easy2012

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

claim up to £2,000 per child every year from their tax bills to

Just tax refund ?

Edited by easy2012, 07 January 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#3 mikthe20

mikthe20

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

Isn't there already a child care voucher scheme which can cut costs dramatically? Why is there never any mention of that in these stories?

Anyway, even more subsidies to employers, private nurseries, and the housing industry to keep both people in a couple working full time and paying massive mortgages.
"Ignorance is strength" (1984)

#4 BNS

BNS

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

Depends.

If it is just handed to them.... bad.

If they actually still have to go out there and work to benefit from such a tax allowance increase then less bad.

Of course this is just a pre-election bribe, doncha know the election is only 18 months away now.

#5 Gone baby gone

Gone baby gone

So long, it's been a blast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,383 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Isn't there already a child care voucher scheme which can cut costs dramatically? Why is there never any mention of that in these stories?

It's not that generous. The child care voucher scheme allows either employers to "gift" vouchers to employees - which comes off taxed income for the employer, and is tax free (up to a point) for the employee, or they can allow the employee to "buy" vouchers using their salary at a slight discount with a very small tax saving.

My wife works part-time as a Teacher (therefore employed by the local council) and she has to buy the vouchers - we are probably about £10 a month better off because of this.

I am self employed and gift myself some vouchers which means we are about £160 a month better off.

So the current system depends on how "nice" your employer is to you, and for once the public sector isn't as "nice" as the private sector to it's employees. ;)

#6 Gone baby gone

Gone baby gone

So long, it's been a blast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,383 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

Of course this is just a pre-election bribe, doncha know the election is only 18 months away now.

Indeed, and they've just shat on a lot of families with working parents who are "natural" Tory voters. So this is probably a good way to try and get them on side. I reckon there were no plans for this, until about a week ago when opinion polls probably made someone in Conservative Central Office get a little nervous...

#7 Snugglybear

Snugglybear

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Anyway, even more subsidies to employers, private nurseries, and the housing industry to keep both people in a couple working full time and paying massive mortgages.

Child care vouchers are only offered by employers, and not very many of them. The only thing offered by the Government is 15 hours of free early education each week for 38 weeks of the year for 3 and 4 year-olds. 15 hours at fixed times isn't much help if you want to work, unless you can find a setting that takes that 15 hours off your bill, and even then you have to pay for the rest.

I suspect what is more important to the government than the subsidisies that working mothers will be paying some tax on what they earn, rather than not paying any tax if they stay at home.

#8 Bloo Loo

Bloo Loo

Ripened on the Diversity Vine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,539 posts
  • About Me:Im Bloo yabba dee yabba die.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

work work work.

Its UK mans and womans curse.

When I was in my 30s, I was able, with a sales job, buy a four bedroom house with a mortgage of 3 times my salary and commission, run a car for the wife and support two children into the world. My wife was not working.

Today, to do the exact same thing, Id need, (doing the same work) a pay rise, then a 7 times liar loan, a bangor for the wife and she'd have to work too....
WARNING

Your
country is at risk
if you
do not keep up repayments
on a gilt or other loan secured on it

#9 Anna_1980

Anna_1980

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

i cannot understand why they cannot give a tax free allowance for children, that parents can allocate to themselves
and for those not working/earning enough to benefit to provide "tax credit" - although I'm not keen on the idea of it as there is an abundance of single mothers who see their kids as the way not to work

Disclaimer: There is a lot of single mothers, who would like to go back to work and cannot due to the childcare costs

#10 SarahBell

SarahBell

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,844 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

i cannot understand why they cannot give a tax free allowance for children, that parents can allocate to themselves
and for those not working/earning enough to benefit to provide "tax credit" - although I'm not keen on the idea of it as there is an abundance of single mothers who see their kids as the way not to work

Disclaimer: There is a lot of single mothers, who would like to go back to work and cannot due to the childcare costs

£1055.6 for first child
£696.8 per extra child?
Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

#11 Bloo Loo

Bloo Loo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,539 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

child care costs.....well, they are going to be high, because, the carers need to meet their own living costs out of their wages.

So, thats two people at least dependent on someone else to create some wealth to pay for them...the lady doing the work, and the carer helping her get there.

And if the lady finds work in the Local Authority, she and the carer remain a drain on the common wealth.
WARNING

Your
country is at risk
if you

#12 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,776 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Few years ago as a working single mum with a mortgage to pay, I went to the authorities to see if there was any help given towards childminding costs..... was told the only thing to do was to give up work stay at home and claim benefits to live on, and benefits to pay the mortgage interest....thankfully I didn't take their advise and found someone in the community that I trusted to help.....then they said they should get a CRB check and I shouldn't be using unauthorised childminders.....you couldn't make it up. ;)
What you don't owe won't worry you.

Less can be more.

#13 Wurzel Of Highbridge

Wurzel Of Highbridge

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts
  • About Me:What I find I keep.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

work work work.

Its UK mans and womans curse.

When I was in my 30s, I was able, with a sales job, buy a four bedroom house with a mortgage of 3 times my salary and commission, run a car for the wife and support two children into the world. My wife was not working.

Today, to do the exact same thing, Id need, (doing the same work) a pay rise, then a 7 times liar loan, a bangor for the wife and she'd have to work too....

Alternatively you could move to another country where the house prices are less.
  • I don't believe that there can be sustainable asset inflation when there is underlying wage deflation.
  • No matter what you choose to do in life, choose to do what you are best at and be the best you can be.
  • Everyone is a vested interest and everything is rigged.
  • Sometimes bubble dynamics just end, people stop believing and what was once a virtuous cycle suddenly morphs into vicious one.
  • The real value goes beyond the money.

I have come to realize that there is widespread belief in a 2015 global recovery.At this point in June 2013 is clear that there will be no recovery in 2015, central bankers have run out of tools to patch over the structural problems and the can can no longer be kicked.As we approach 2015 it will be clear that the emperor has no clothes and there will be an economic crash that makes 2009 look trivial.Note: I was wrong on 2nd May 2012 12:00 - London Top called prediction of London will fall by >10% in 12 months.

#14 Bloo Loo

Bloo Loo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,539 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Alternatively you could move to another country where the house prices are less.

But why would I have to?....something went wrong in the last 20 years.....Im guessing it was banking
WARNING

Your
country is at risk
if you

#15 Wurzel Of Highbridge

Wurzel Of Highbridge

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts
  • About Me:What I find I keep.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

When we start a family the other half will not need to work and we will be able to get by just fine. In fact if we wished we could move to a cheaper area / smaller house and go on regular holidays eat out etc..

The only reason the government want high houses and two workers is so they and the bankers can skim a percentage for themselves. In a lot of cases it would make more sense for the mother to stay at home and look after the house and children. Much of the time it is a zero sum game.
  • I don't believe that there can be sustainable asset inflation when there is underlying wage deflation.
  • No matter what you choose to do in life, choose to do what you are best at and be the best you can be.
  • Everyone is a vested interest and everything is rigged.
  • Sometimes bubble dynamics just end, people stop believing and what was once a virtuous cycle suddenly morphs into vicious one.
  • The real value goes beyond the money.

I have come to realize that there is widespread belief in a 2015 global recovery.At this point in June 2013 is clear that there will be no recovery in 2015, central bankers have run out of tools to patch over the structural problems and the can can no longer be kicked.As we approach 2015 it will be clear that the emperor has no clothes and there will be an economic crash that makes 2009 look trivial.Note: I was wrong on 2nd May 2012 12:00 - London Top called prediction of London will fall by >10% in 12 months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users