House Price Crash Forum

Don Valley Stadium: Closure And Demolition 'an Option'

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-20926575

Sheffield's Don Valley Stadium could be closed and demolished in a bid to save the city council money, according to a document seen by the BBC.

The document shows Sheffield City Council could save £500,000 per year if the stadium was to close.

The stadium is where London 2012 heptathlon champion Jessica Ennis was first discovered.

The council said no decisions had been made and this was just one of a list of money-saving options.

The stadium is in a crap location, it's difficult to get too and there is no real parking. Only a moron who works for the council would put it there to "regenerate" a failing area.

The Arena works as it has parking.

HOLA442

The stadium is in a crap location, it's difficult to get too and there is no real parking. Only a moron who works for the council would put it there to "regenerate" a failing area.

There's a tram stop right next to it.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I know there is, but 25000 people going on the same tram as people going to meadowhall will get a little crowded? It's a bit like cattle class when that happens.

If we are going down that route they could and should have created it's own rail station as well.

And yet, every other Saturday more people than this make it to Hillsborough, with even less parking. Many of them do it on the tram.

Parking wasn't an issue when I saw the Rolling Stones there, or when other giant bands like the Chilli Peppers have turned up. Are you, by any chance one of those folks who live at the posh end of Sheffield and constantly bitch about Meadowhall having moved all the best shopping ot of town?

The real disgrace is that the place is under threat due to cuts after an olympic year, when shed loads of lottery and public money have been spent in London, out of which West Ham will get a shiny new stadium.

HOLA445
HOLA446

The real disgrace is that the place is under threat due to cuts after an olympic year, when shed loads of lottery and public money have been spent in London, out of which West Ham will get a shiny new stadium.

Shed loads of public money still to spent, 200 millon pounds of new money to modify the stadium to make it suitable for football.

HOLA447

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-20926575

Hello, long time lurker and Sheffield resident here!

Thought I would post because I cannot let this comment go. Don Valley is a 12 minute run from my flat at Kelham Island, a 10 minute tram ride from town or a 5 minute drive from the motorway so I have no idea what you are on about. Additionally it may have escaped your attention but the Arena is slap bang next to the stadium and hence has the exact same parking as the Arena which you think works?!

I train at the stadium and the EIS every week so obviously I would be gutted to see it go and frankly I need something to show for my council tax because they do not spend it on the roads and that is for sure! Finally athletics has benefited greatly in funding from their performance at the games and you may have noticed that free athletic courses have been running for all age ranges down there, I suggest you go and give HPC a break get your fair share of the wealth.

HOLA448

And yet, every other Saturday more people than this make it to Hillsborough, with even less parking. Many of them do it on the tram.

Parking wasn't an issue when I saw the Rolling Stones there, or when other giant bands like the Chilli Peppers have turned up. Are you, by any chance one of those folks who live at the posh end of Sheffield and constantly bitch about Meadowhall having moved all the best shopping ot of town?

Plenty of roads to park at around Hillsborough. Not the same selection of streets around Don Valley in my opinion.

Hillsborough less parking? Really, the club has North, South plus exec parking. The local school, plus Hills park and there's parking on the industrial estate opposite, plus parking around the local streets. Yep clearly hardly any parking is provided.

Edited by interestrateripoff

HOLA449

Most stadiums are badly positioned, with no parking and poor access, as when they were built they were on the edge of town, but subsequent development leaves them near the centre.

When these places were sited the sort of people that had cars didn't go to football matches.

HOLA4410

I know there is, but 25000 people going on the same tram as people going to meadowhall will get a little crowded? It's a bit like cattle class when that happens.

If we are going down that route they could and should have created it's own rail station as well.

Interestingly the new Y shaped national rail upgrade proposes that the London - Leeds arm has it's Sheffield stop at Meadowhall, rather than the town centre. Should be better for Rotherham though, esp if they extend the tram into Roth centre.

Given the glacial rate of infrastructure development, and endless consultation periods and enquiries in the UK, it'll be circa 2050 before it gets done.

HOLA4411

Yes, unlike Hillsborough, the DV Stadium is situated on a mountain top with inaccessible barriers at the base. There are no streets anywhere, getting to it is like a hobbit quest. There's no executive parking either. Unless of course you count the car park itself, which is surfaced, unlike the equivalent field across the road from SWFC. How great it would be to have houses on all the (non-existant) streets around, so that the locals can watch over your car while they are fuming about not being able to put a car down in front of their own abode.

Lets not even talk about the acres and acres of parking around Bramall Lane. It always puzzles me why so many of the fans walk from town.

Sheffield Arena is all of 700m walking distance away from DV and I guess no-one ever has the bright idea to use the parking there. I've walked futher than that from the car parks at the NEC to a gig.

Who in their right mind would situate a stadium only 2km from a motorway junction and on an arterial route into town?

Granted, it's 2.5km as the crow flies from the railway station at Meadowhall so that makes for a stiff walk if you don't want to mix it with the hoi polloi on the tram. Or else, there's middle of Sheffield, with a tram from that end also.

Nope, location isn't the problem for Don Valley. And given that the locals paid for it in the first place with no government funding, I struggle to understand how knocking it down will wipe out the debt and save money.

It was a much better idea to spend Yorkshore Forward grant money on yet another concert venue in Leeds so that it can compete with Sheffield Arena. It looks like they couldn't afford enough parking though.