20 replies to this topic

#1 SarahBell

SarahBell

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,067 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Please can we get our collective heads together and think of a better phrase to replace 'bedroom tax'.

--------------------------------
Oldham first choice

1 bed rents - 64.04, 67.25, 64.03, 80
2 bedroom 97.2, 98.08, 92, 81.85, 98.08
3 bedroom 99.8, 102.4, 102.2

So couple in 3 bedroom place that should only have 1 bedroom

From April 2013, if you live in council accommodation or other social housing and are assessed as having at least 1 extra bedroom in your house, your Housing Benefit could be reduced by:

14% if you have 1 extra bedroom
25% if you have 2 or more extra bedrooms

They'll only get about £75 in rent towards their HB and have to find the other £25 from their own money
But they'd still be getting more on average than the cost of a 1 bedroom property.
And if they can manage their money to pay for the extra bedrooms then they aren't forced to move - but some councils are offering that as an option.

And these exemptions:
https://www.gov.uk/h.../what-youll-get
Exception

If you’ve been getting Housing Benefit since before 7 April 2008, these limits only apply if you:

change address
have a break in your claim for Housing Benefit

mean some people won't be affected ...
Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

#2 righttoleech

righttoleech

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

It is a handout reduction rather than a tax.

#3 Access Denied

Access Denied

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

It's an under occupation charge but that's a bit of a mouthful so perhaps a bedroom offset?

#4 durhamborn

durhamborn

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

Is it only the amount of HB paid cut by 14% etc,or 14% of the rent.?

If it is the amount of housing benefit for instance someone who got half paid would lose £12.50,but if based on the rent itself £25.

So if they were paying £25 now towards the rent will they lose all that or only 14% of it,,anyone know?

#5 RichB

RichB

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,769 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

I think you'll find that the more expensive properties still only have 1 bedroom, but 3 reception rooms...

#6 Dorkins

Dorkins

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,616 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

From April 2013, if you live in council accommodation or other social housing and are assessed as having at least 1 extra bedroom in your house, your Housing Benefit could be reduced by:

14% if you have 1 extra bedroom
25% if you have 2 or more extra bedrooms

Why does the government always have to make things so complicated? Why not just reassess their needs and pay them the same rate that a new claimant would get?

#7 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,784 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

Please can we get our collective heads together and think of a better phrase to replace 'bedroom tax'.

Breeding Reward?

Have kids to fill spare rooms and you get more money.

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#8 RufflesTheGuineaPig

RufflesTheGuineaPig

is fluffy

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,038 posts
  • About Me:I am Ruffles, the destroyer of worlds....

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

So they'll have to use some of the £300 a month they get from their lodger towards paying their rent. Diddums.
It's time to pay the piper. There is no magician who will magic away the debt. Someone is going to have to pay it. Bend over and prepare to make payment.

In this glorious nation of ours, if you work hard and keep your head down for 25 years then you too can aspire to own one-eighth of a one bedroom flat in Manchester.

My mum and day always tell me how important it is to save to buy a house. They should know, it took them nearly 6 months to save for theirs. As teenagers, they bought a 3 bed semi.

#9 SarahBell

SarahBell

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,067 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

Is it only the amount of HB paid cut by 14% etc,or 14% of the rent.?

If it is the amount of housing benefit for instance someone who got half paid would lose £12.50,but if based on the rent itself £25.

So if they were paying £25 now towards the rent will they lose all that or only 14% of it,,anyone know?

Don't know. Sep thread for that point might attract someone who knows though.
Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

#10 plummet expert

plummet expert

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

Why does the government always have to make things so complicated? Why not just reassess their needs and pay them the same rate that a new claimant would get?

Why not require people to swap with tenants who need an extra bedroom? Give them reasonable notice - like 12 months - Pay for a bit of decorating if they are older folk. It hardly seems fair that someone in a 2 or 3 bedder who now lives alone or even with spouse, but no kids, can carry on ocupying a home indefinitely when a young couple with baby have to stay in a one bed place as there are no homes available. A council home/social housing, should not be for life and be open to review every 7 years or so. People who can afford to move into private rentals or buy should then do so on a one year notice.

#11 SHERWICK

SHERWICK

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,519 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

It is a handout reduction rather than a tax.

Like the granny 'tax'.
The mighty neo liberal steam roller that crushed all before it from the 1980s to the beginning of the new millennium has morphed in recent years into a Charlie Carioli clown car that now can not go two yards without loud bangs, smoke pouring out of the engine and the doors dropping off. (by stormymonday_2011, posted amidst the Barclays Libor crisis on 02/07/2012)

Polster: why did you vote labour?
Labour voter: because I hate Margaret Thatcher
Polster: how old were you when she left Downing st?
Labour voter: 3
(by Robo1968, posted 10/05/2010)

From BBC HYS 15/05/2009:
"Last year, my MP's second home claim was £5,000 more than my total salary and now I find out that he's trying to charge me for cleaning his swimming pool!"

"Whatever your argument it's wrong." bendy, 21/02/2014

#12 dendrite

dendrite

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

HMM why didnt the mansion tax come about ?????? . Lets look at this for one moment , The Torys are using the oldest trick in the book " DIVIDE AND CONQUER " . The welfare state was set up for us all , and we are falling for the story that folk on Benefits are the well off . They arnt trust me i was unemployed and it was a nightmare , but if we beleive the torys there will be no safe guards for us when we lose our jobs .

THE BEDROOM TAX , it would be laughable if it wasnt so serious , Look at this way people , You have brought your family up in this house with good memorys , your kids have left home , there is no houses to down size to , and the torys are now punishing you for this .

Wouldnt it be great if they could be as vicious with the power companys and the bankers , the real benefit cheats along with the many MP`s that never went to jail . Spin doctors are great in politics , As they keep us in the dark and feed us shite , the problem is we are all eating it and turning on each other , rather than focusing our anger on them .

TO ANY LIB/DEM READING THIS GET OUT NOW BEFORE YOUR FINISHED IN POLITICS

#13 sigma

sigma

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

THE BEDROOM TAX , it would be laughable if it wasnt so serious , Look at this way people , You have brought your family up in this house with good memorys , your kids have left home , there is no houses to down size to , and the torys are now punishing you for this .

As things go that really doesn't sound that serious.

#14 Executive Sadman

Executive Sadman

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Like the granny 'tax'.

AKA eliminating age discrimination in the tax code.

Am I an evil person? The good things the coalition have done the media say are evil. The Pasty tax seems to be getting rid of a nonsensical non-inclusion, the granny tax seems to be introducing fairness into the tax code, HB reductions are a reduction to landlords, yet the media tells me these are terrible things.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

#15 Executive Sadman

Executive Sadman

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,562 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

HMM why didnt the mansion tax come about ?????? . Lets look at this for one moment , The Torys are using the oldest trick in the book " DIVIDE AND CONQUER " . The welfare state was set up for us all , and we are falling for the story that folk on Benefits are the well off . They arnt trust me i was unemployed and it was a nightmare , but if we beleive the torys there will be no safe guards for us when we lose our jobs .

Wouldnt it be great if they could be as vicious with the power companys and the bankers , the real benefit cheats along with the many MP`s that never went to jail . Spin doctors are great in politics , As they keep us in the dark and feed us shite , the problem is we are all eating it and turning on each other , rather than focusing our anger on them .

TO ANY LIB/DEM READING THIS GET OUT NOW BEFORE YOUR FINISHED IN POLITICS

Keep your shirt on, your not going to be tossed out of the old one until a home with less rooms is found.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users