6 replies to this topic

#1 Si1

Si1

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,194 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

I don't want to berate what an awful condition clinical depression is, however the following prose rather surprised me, i mean, how on earth...???:

http://www.guardian....bout-depression

This time round there was a lot of sleeping, very low mood and I didn't want to talk to anyone or see anyone. There was self-harm and cutting. That led to three years of not being able to work, being on benefits, constantly ill, four hospital admissions, an absolute three-year hell. Nothing seemed to work. I was tried on a million different medications. I had a therapist who was doing cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). It didn't work.

In 2006, I stabilised. The turning point was finding the right combination of medication to make me stable enough to do the things that are good for me. I bought my own place, cut down on drinking, started seeing people and not isolating myself so much, and making the decision that I wanted to get better.

I took on a part-time job in a bar, moved back to Mum and Dad's, then moved to Maidenhead in Berkshire. I found I could do it, quickly went full-time, started enjoying my life, went a bit crazy, did all the things I should have done when I was 18.

Edited by Si1, 28 December 2012 - 01:55 AM.

#2 paulokes

paulokes

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

I don't want to berate what an awful condition clinical depression is, however the following prose rather surprised me, i mean, how on earth...???:

http://www.guardian....bout-depression

To be fair, the way I read that the turning point was right combo of meds.

Nice to know however that a chronic depressive with a part time bar job could afford to buy in 2006. That DLA payment really isn't to be sniffed at.

P
A message from the past to Jimmy Wales and Tim Berners-Lee:

...you give your disciples not truth, but only the semblance of truth; they will be hearers of many things and will have learned nothing; they will appear to be omniscient and will generally know nothing; they will be tiresome company, having the show of wisdom without the reality
Plato, The Phaedrus

#3 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,380 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

Lots of people need roots to feel happy and content. Buying a house helps people put those roots down. Allows them to settle.
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#4 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,035 posts
  • About Me:Smashing it to LibLabCon & the NIMBY's

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

Says they moved back to Mum and Dads in last paragraph. Maybe BTL cured their depression.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#5 porca misèria

porca misèria

Porcine Aviation Enterprises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,461 posts
  • About Me:pig

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

To be fair, the way I read that the turning point was right combo of meds.

Nice to know however that a chronic depressive with a part time bar job could afford to buy in 2006. That DLA payment really isn't to be sniffed at.

P

Could be more to do with sub-prime money lent into pork futures warehouse existence by Northern Rock or HBoS and subsequently queezed into partial existence.

#6 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,231 posts
  • About Me:Fount of wisdom, and pinnacle of taste!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Lots of people need roots to feel happy and content. Buying a house helps people put those roots down. Allows them to settle.

There is that, but the continual DIY can get you down! :huh:
Ignorance can be cured! Stupidity cannot!

#7 Blod

Blod

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

I wonder how the MSM will handle the impact on mental health of the millions who at the mo can only just afford their housing.

The NHS will need to get ready for a tsunami of depression when rates nudge back up to more normal levels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users