I'm right 51% of the time... beat that.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

not sure you can get much info in a cookie

about 4000 bytes max

and this

There is a lot of fear on the Internet that cookies will damage your hard drive, copy your data or reveal your secret super hero identity. But this is not true. cookies are not dangerous. According to the Computer Incident Advisory Capability (CIAC)

"[the] vulnerability of systems to damage or snooping by using web browser cookies is essentially nonexistent."

In fact, the vulnerability is more in what information you give to the website, than what they can take. If you fill out a form on a website, and give them your name, address, and phone number, they could conceivably store that information in a cookie to retrieve the next time you came to that site. But this is very unlikely. They are more likely to give you a unique ID that is stored in a cookie, and relate that to a database entry with your name, address, and phone number.

In this case, the cookie isn't the problem, it's that you gave information to that website.

Of course, IDS's magic cookies will be of little use if the unemployed person, unable to afford a PC or ISP account, has to use the PC in the public library. IDS is an idiot.

BTW, not exactly 'real' cookies, but one reason why I won't have Adobe (Macromedia) Flash on my system any more:-

"United Virtualities is offering online marketers and publishers technology that attempts to undermine the growing trend among consumers to delete cookies planted in their computers.

According to JupiterResearch, a division of Jupitermedia Corp., 58 percent of Internet users have deleted [their normal web browser] cookies, essentially making many consumers anonymous during site visits. In addition, 39 percent of consumers are deleting cookies from their primary computer monthly.

United Virtualities's PIE helps combat this consumer behavior by leveraging a feature in Flash MX called local shared objects. Flash MX is a Macromedia Inc. application for developing multimedia Web content, user interfaces and Web applications. The technology runs on a Flash Player that the company says is deployed on 98 percent of Internet-capable computers.

When a consumer goes to a PIE-enabled website, the visitor's browser is tagged with a Flash object that contains a unique identification similar to the text found in a traditional cookie. In this way, PIE acts as a cookie backup, and can also restore the original cookie when the consumer revisits the site.

While consumers have learned to delete cookies, most are unaware of shared objects, and don't know how to disable them.

Mookie Tanembaum, founder and chief executive of United Virtualities, says the company is trying to help consumers by preventing them from deleting cookies that help website operators deliver better services.

"The user is not proficient enough in technology to know if the cookie is good or bad, or how it works," [CEO] Tanembaum said."

Edited by happy_renting, 20 December 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#47 Dave Beans

Dave Beans

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts
  • About Me:Groping The Sands Of Time

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

Of course, IDS's magic cookies will be of little use if the unemployed person, unable to afford a PC or ISP account, has to use the PC in the public library. IDS is an idiot.

BTW, not exactly 'real' cookies, but one reason why I won't have Adobe (Macromedia) Flash on my system any more:-

"United Virtualities is offering online marketers and publishers technology that attempts to undermine the growing trend among consumers to delete cookies planted in their computers.

According to JupiterResearch, a division of Jupitermedia Corp., 58 percent of Internet users have deleted [their normal web browser] cookies, essentially making many consumers anonymous during site visits. In addition, 39 percent of consumers are deleting cookies from their primary computer monthly.

United Virtualities's PIE helps combat this consumer behavior by leveraging a feature in Flash MX called local shared objects. Flash MX is a Macromedia Inc. application for developing multimedia Web content, user interfaces and Web applications. The technology runs on a Flash Player that the company says is deployed on 98 percent of Internet-capable computers.

When a consumer goes to a PIE-enabled website, the visitor's browser is tagged with a Flash object that contains a unique identification similar to the text found in a traditional cookie. In this way, PIE acts as a cookie backup, and can also restore the original cookie when the consumer revisits the site.

While consumers have learned to delete cookies, most are unaware of shared objects, and don't know how to disable them.

Mookie Tanembaum, founder and chief executive of United Virtualities, says the company is trying to help consumers by preventing them from deleting cookies that help website operators deliver better services.

"The user is not proficient enough in technology to know if the cookie is good or bad, or how it works," [CEO] Tanembaum said."

Cant you use a proxy to get around the cookie issues?
"Wont someone please think of the children"

The Sad Faces Of Wronged Mail Readers

Eurocleese De Zouch

#48 Charlie The Tramp Returns

Charlie The Tramp Returns

EU Troll Buster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts
  • About Me:Originally joined the Forum on 30 October 2003

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

I have a program installed for many years on my Laptop which is no longer available which virtually sterilises my laptop.

Finds cookies and IE cache what others fail to detect. Then I use disk scrubber software to overwrite to US Defence Standards. :)
I have been studying the European Economic Community which became the European Community and finally becoming the European Union since the 1st January 1973. As each year passed the stench of corruption, financial recklessness, and Dictatorship has got totally out of control.

In an interview,( on holiday in the exclusive Swiss ski resort of Davos ) the Liberal Democrat leader was asked whether he was in charge while the Prime Minister was away from Britain travelling in the Middle East. Sipping from a mug marked “Deputy Prime Minister,” he said: “Yeah, I suppose I am. I forgot about that.( Proves what a total berk he is )

Cameron must learn the basic rule in politics and life ( Put brain in gear before putting mouth in motion ) and Miliband with no direct British Lineage should dig a hole and disappear down it.

Is Nicholarse Elcleggski ( 25% British ) insane? Who, in their right mind would willingly appease the French and Germans?

In our Country today THE TRUTH MUST NEVER BE SPOKEN, I will leave you all with your very bleak future as I will be gone.

The Lib/Dems who over the years have supported the demise of the moral and accepted standards we were all brought up to respect. The party who would lead us the way of the Ancient Greek and Roman Empires. We can Add David Cameron and Ed Miliband as Leaders of their parties who are heading for the buffers

#49 Dave Beans

Dave Beans

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

I have a program installed for many years on my Laptop which is no longer available which virtually sterilises my laptop.

Finds cookies and IE cache what others fail to detect. Then I use disk scrubber software to overwrite to US Defence Standards. :)

I find CCleaner pretty good, but I'm not sure if its to those standards :)

Eurocleese De Zouch

#50 Charlie The Tramp Returns

EU Troll Buster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

Signed up a JS today under this new JS website for Job Seeker plus. Submitted his CV and skills and type of job he was looking for. Six came up but were all Management jobs way above his skills. Applied for 3 driving jobs just required to attach his CV. The page showed how many jobs he had applied for which is accessible by the JC staff at his interviews.
Most of the jobs were through private recruitment companies who tend to post non existent jobs or those which have already been filled. Tested this out for him a year ago and found the job he had applied for was filled 6 months previously.
So employers receive a CV and if interested reply by email if not in the bin it goes and no we regret email sent to the JS.

As I said before those who think up this method of applying for jobs live on a different planet.
I have been studying the European Economic Community which became the European Community and finally becoming the European Union since the 1st January 1973. As each year passed the stench of corruption, financial recklessness, and Dictatorship has got totally out of control.

In an interview,( on holiday in the exclusive Swiss ski resort of Davos ) the Liberal Democrat leader was asked whether he was in charge while the Prime Minister was away from Britain travelling in the Middle East. Sipping from a mug marked “Deputy Prime Minister,” he said: “Yeah, I suppose I am. I forgot about that.( Proves what a total berk he is )

Cameron must learn the basic rule in politics and life ( Put brain in gear before putting mouth in motion ) and Miliband with no direct British Lineage should dig a hole and disappear down it.

Is Nicholarse Elcleggski ( 25% British ) insane? Who, in their right mind would willingly appease the French and Germans?

In our Country today THE TRUTH MUST NEVER BE SPOKEN, I will leave you all with your very bleak future as I will be gone.

The Lib/Dems who over the years have supported the demise of the moral and accepted standards we were all brought up to respect. The party who would lead us the way of the Ancient Greek and Roman Empires. We can Add David Cameron and Ed Miliband as Leaders of their parties who are heading for the buffers

#51 Charlie The Tramp Returns

EU Troll Buster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

If employers don't boycott it it will be a waste of their time when an extra hundred jobseekers (on top of the 50-100 that would apply anyway) are forced to apply regardless of whether the job vacancy would be suitable for them.

They are told they must apply for 2 jobs a day even if they do not have the skills or the jobs are impracticable for travelling.

The JC staff like the Bank`s selling staff are in fear of their own jobs IMHO.

FFS what happened to the old and reliable Labour Exchanges. <_<

IDS you need to get a life and return to the real world. By all means go for the p*****s but don`t destroy the genuine who are desperate to find work. :angry:

#52 stormymonday_2011

stormymonday_2011

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

They are told they must apply for 2 jobs a day even if they do not have the skills or the jobs are impracticable for travelling.

The JC staff like the Bank`s selling staff are in fear of their own jobs IMHO.

FFS what happened to the old and reliable Labour Exchanges. <_<

IDS you need to get a life and return to the real world. By all means go for the p*****s but don`t destroy the genuine who are desperate to find work. :angry:

IDS is a man without an ounce of talent.

The British Army may be many things but its judgement of leadership potential amongst officers is usually pretty sound. It is therefore significant that it chose never to promote IDS above the rank of Captain despite the fact he had been to Sandhurst and spent 6 years under the colours. His achievements outside the military before he went into politics were also less than stunning

http://en.wikipedia....in_Duncan_Smith

How this crushing mediocrity ever got to be leader of the Conservative Party and to head a large government Department is one of life's unfathomable mysteries.

Years of toiling under Britain's useless and dysfunctional managerial class has led me to set the bar for achievement pretty low for leaders. Therefore I am usually prepared to put up with people who are bastards providing they know what they are doing and can get results. I can also live with incompetence amongst my bosses provided it is leavened with a degree of humanity and a recognition that perhaps they ought to get out of the way and let their underlings do the job for them. What I can not stand are people who manage to combine being bastards and completely useless f*ckwits at the same time. Sadly IDS like most of the current government seems to be in that category
The certainty of misery is preferable to the the misery of uncertainty

#53 Dave Beans

Dave Beans

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:01 AM

Can JS staff see your CV on jobmatch? You could (and of course I wouldn't subscribe to this), is to put "You are massive berk" on a blank document...watch the job offers fly in...

Edited by Dave Beans, 22 December 2012 - 03:01 AM.

Eurocleese De Zouch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users