4 replies to this topic

#1 oligotroph

oligotroph

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:48 PM

A few weeks ago I was with a few companions from Occupy Wall Street in Union Square when an old friend — I’ll call her Eileen — passed through, her hand in a cast.

“What happened to you?” I asked.

“Oh, this?” she held it up. “I was in Liberty Park on the 17th [the Six Month Anniversary of the Occupation]. When the cops were pushing us out the park, one of them yanked at my breast.

“Again?” someone said.

We had all been hearing stories like this. In fact, there had been continual reports of police officers groping women during the nightly evictions from Union Square itself over the previous two weeks.

“Yeah so I screamed at the guy, I said, ‘you grabbed my boob! what are you, some kind of ******ing pervert?’ So they took me behind the lines and broke my wrists.”

Arbitrary violence is nothing new. The apparently systematic use of sexual assault against women protestors is new. I’m not aware of any reports of police intentionally grabbing women’s breasts before March 17, but on March 17 there were numerous reported cases, and in later nightly evictions from Union Square, the practice became so systematic that at least one woman told me her breasts were grabbed by five different police officers on a single night (in one case, while another one was blowing kisses.) The tactic appeared so abruptly, is so obviously a violation of any sort of police protocol or standard of legality, that it is hard to imagine it is anything but an intentional policy.

For obvious reasons, most of the women who have been victims of such assaults have been hesitant to come forward. Suing the city is a miserable and time-consuming task and if a woman brings any charge involving sexual misconduct, they can expect to have their own history and reputations—no matter how obviously irrelevant—raked over the coals, usually causing immense damage to their personal and professional life.

Full article:
http://www.nakedcapi...protestors.html

Video - Police Brutality by Zuccotti Park

#2 The Eagle

The Eagle

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

So they took me behind the lines and broke my wrists.”

That's just sick, what kind of sadist phsycos does the NYPD employ? :angry:
Owe no man anything but to love one another.
[Romans 13:8]
>>Thrive: What On Earth Will It Take? << - Must see movie! (click to watch on youtube)
Description from IMDB ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2063834/ ):
"An unconventional documentary that lifts the veil on what's really going on in our world by following the money upstream - uncovering the global consolidation of power in nearly every aspect of our lives. Weaving together breakthroughs in science, consciousness and activism, THRIVE offers real solutions, empowering us with unprecedented and bold strategies for reclaiming our lives and our future."

#3 AteMoose

AteMoose

INTJ <- No S :(

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

Its such a daft thing to do, politically its stupid. IMHO it sounds like a concerted effort by the campaigners to get media coverage. If you sex it up more people will be outraged/notice, wouldn't be difficult to arrange either. Get a number of women complaining at the same time. and you get into the media.

Edited by AteMoose, 05 May 2012 - 11:15 PM.

I have bought a newish (5 years) house in November 2006. I talked the vendor down 30% off peak 2004 price am am paying less than the 2002 price. I feel prices will continue to drop down to the 2001 price but saving for 5 years hopefully means i wont be stung. The price i am paying isn't much above the price the vendor paid for the place when it was new in 2000. However some idiot is trying to flog an identical house on my road for 55k above the price i paid, one month later!?!?! The housing market is frothy, no-one ever knows what the value of a house is, the value is what someone is willing to pay, make sure you pay alot less than the asking price.

Free to collect, like ebay but you dont pay, you just have to collect

QUOTE (sledgehead)If you make a living from something, you are a professional something: it is your profession. You could bake dog turds and flog them as ornaments. If that's how you make your living, you ARE a professional dog-turd baker. Period
QUOTE (Rolling Stone 13th July 2000)The first thing you need to know about Goldman Sachs is that it's everywhere. The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money.

QUOTE (Soon Not a Chain Retailer @ Aug 30 2009, 01:03 AM) Society should provide trampolines not safety nets.

QUOTE (GordonBrown Jan 27 2008 (warning about the coming inflation?))if you don't get the skills you wont get a job
if you get the skills you will earn ALOT of money

#4 thod

thod

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

How do you push a woman back without touching her breast? I think we should see the size of her breasts before passing judgement.

#5 oligotroph

oligotroph

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

I don't think the OWS protestors are just looking to get a bit of quick publicity and then hope everything will go 'back to normal', they see it as more of a long haul thing like greenham common.

The police are probably starting to realise this and are looking for ways to prevent it becoming a long term drain on police resources.

OWS seems to be extremely law abiding and peaceful (given the chance), quite a contrast with the protests in this country last year which just seemed to be a load of teenagers setting fire to stuff and nicking shoes out of JD Sports.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users