#1 interestrateripoff

interestrateripoff

Carry on banking.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,449 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

http://www.telegraph...downgrades.html

Lloyds and RBS are set to be among the banks hardest hit by the planned dowgrades by Moody's, the most important of the three established ratings agencies.

Profits at Lloyds are forecast to fall 16pc next year, while RBS's earnings will drop 8pc, as the banks face higher funding costs, as a result of their downgrades by Moody's, according to Citigroup.

Both banks have put in place major turnaround programmes aimed at returning them to profitability. But Citigroup warned these plans could be disrupted by the downgrades, which could also upset plans to privatise the lenders.

Lloyds, which is 41pc owned by the state, is currently rated A1 by Moody's but is expected to be downgraded by two notches to A3. Citigroup said the lender would as a result have to put up a further 24bn of assets against its secured borrowings, to compensate for the increase in its perceived riskiness.

Lloyds shareholders must love the genius that is Gordon.

Mystic Merv to the rescue?
Proof that Brown had repeated IMF / OECD / BIS warnings over house prices and did nothing!!!
Looting: The Economic Underworld Of Bankruptcy For Profit
The exponential growth of debt and the unsustainability of debt
The logic of HPI @ 10% YoY means your 100k house would be worth 1.38bn in 100 years
Paying down my mortgage with money found on the street

It's time to sue the Bank of England / Federal Reserve for GROSS NEGLIGENCE
If DEBT is the problem REPAYMENT is the solution or you default

"Northern unemployment is an acceptable price to pay for curbing southern inflation" Eddie George former Governor of the Bank of England

New digest on the credit crisis and economy Part2 Part 3

Posted Image

#2 koala_bear

koala_bear

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

I presume that this assumes the same level of lending by both continuing, surely as the cost of borrowing goes up, borrowing will go down a bit to compensate as well as IR going up?

Wonder if this is factored into the SVR increases we are seeing today?

#3 koala_bear

koala_bear

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

I presume that this assumes the same level of lending by both continuing, surely as the cost of borrowing goes up, borrowing will go down a bit to compensate as well as IR going up?

Wonder if this is factored into the SVR increases we are seeing today?

#4 8 year itch

8 year itch

My member's title is Rodney.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,963 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

Lloyds legacy SVR pegged at BR +2%. Egg on faces to get out of that.

There is no ladder.

JY

No need to sell up, the next phase of the economics cycle is going to be very positive for anyone that owns property.

All I'm sayings is, don't listen to the property bears people, they are wrong.

#5 thecrashingisles

thecrashingisles

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

It's an odd headline which illustrates what a mess we're in. Are profits now determined solely by the stroke of a pen at the ratings agencies?

#6 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,465 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Haven't looked at RBS shares for ages - didn't they rise from 19p to 28pish?
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#7 bland unsight

bland unsight

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts
  • About Me:Formerly CotB

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

It's an odd headline which illustrates what a mess we're in. Are profits now determined solely by the stroke of a pen at the ratings agencies?

Isn't it a post hoc fallacy. These funding costs were going to rise and profits were going to tank even if we confiscated every Moody computer and blackberry. Presumably money market participants do their own research these days - I'd speculate that the rating agencies are more like commentators than opinion formers.

Classic "bust" phase feedback loop, lower profits weakens ability to handle losses leading to rising funding costs, reducing lending which lowers profits and leads to the fall in the value of the loan collateral which causes funding costs to rise, which weakens profits...

It certainly does show how the banks are in a corner.

Could be totally wrong, but I can't see King stepping in to help them. Regardless of his role in getting us into this mess, it seems to me that his mood has changed.

Osborne has been loathe to borrow if he can avoid it, I can't see him chipping up to help out a political constituency upon whom the sun is most definitely going down.

It looks to me like the banks are on their own on this one, in which case they'll need to throw their customers overboard. Blowing up nonsense mortgages by the sh!t ton will get you de-leveraged faster than capitalising arrears, at least as I understand things... ;)

Hopefully the government's long game is to have the crash, put in the banking sector ring-fence as per the Vickers report and try and get the economy going before the next election. If that is their plan they must be itching for this crash.

I hate to say it and generations of forbears will be spinning in their graves, but I've got some time for these posh boys in Downing Street. Mind you as the act that followed Brown, they didn't have to do too much right to look like an improvement.

Edited by ChairmanOfTheBored, 01 May 2012 - 06:42 PM.

Wendell: It's a mess, ain't it, sheriff?
Ed Tom Bell: If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.

#8 (Blizzard)

(Blizzard)

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

Isn't it a post hoc fallacy.

Pretty much, yes.

EDIT: It does have some implications, for bureaucratic reasons. Banks and pensions funds have to apply different rules to debt with different ratings.

I never understood why banks outsource the basic function of a bank - assessing the credit quality of potential borrowers - to independent companies.

Edited by (Blizzard), 01 May 2012 - 06:46 PM.

"As soon as the land of any country has all become private property, the landlords, like all other men, love to reap where they never sowed, and demand a rent even for its natural produce. The wood of the forest, the grass of the field, and all the natural fruits of the earth, which, when land was in common, cost the labourer only the trouble of gathering them, come, even to him, to have an additional price fixed upon them. He must then pay for the licence to gather them; and must give up to the landlord a portion of what his labour either collects or produces. This portion, or, what comes to the same thing, the price of this portion, constitutes the rent of land ...." Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations[17]

#9 R K

R K

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,695 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

Pretty much, yes.

EDIT: It does have some implications, for bureaucratic reasons. Banks and pensions funds have to apply different rules to debt with different ratings.

I never understood why banks outsource the basic function of a bank - assessing the credit quality of potential borrowers - to independent companies.

So they could focus on mis-selling PPI presumably.

"The problem with capitalism is that eventually you end up with everyone else's money" RK
"We have now entered The Great Rebalancing 2007-20xx" - RK
"Gold will go to $1000, Silver to $18" - RK August 2011
QE 100bn and build 1m council homes - RK
Carney announces the launch of Empire 2.0 - Rise of the Banksters Oct '13

#10 bland unsight

bland unsight

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

So they could focus on mis-selling PPI presumably.

I understand from younger colleagues that apparently I am not a "digital native" - too old.

Right now, for the first time, I understand the need for "emoticons" and phrases like LMAO and ROFL - to properly reflect amusement that might not otherwise be acknowledged in sober prose... ;)

I still ****ing laughing.

Nice work.

As Fats Waller was keen to say during some particularly successful piano playing - "Someone shoot me whilst I'm happy".

(I'm still laughing.)

#11 billybong

billybong

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

But Citigroup warned these plans could be disrupted by the downgrades, which could also upset plans to privatise the lenders.

Well it's so easy. Just get the ratings agencies to say that the profits next year are going to be huge huge huge, problem solved. That's what they used to do and that was a great success for all concerned.

(Top tip - put the boomy bank rating in writing and sign it - that always convinces people just like signed party political manifestos)

#12 bland unsight

bland unsight

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

Privatise the lenders? Really?

I'm not a betting man but if Lloyds Group are 3bn+ in the hole over PPI before they face the music on the property bust...

Once the market finds a mechanism to extract dividends from apocalyptic losses we can return to thinking about privatising lenders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users