House Price Crash Forum

No Dss, Student Or Working Class

timebandit

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

I'm from Yorkshire. I guess my flat cap, hob nail boots and whippet would not be welcome?

Move along, nothing to see, its part of the "mental illness" called "being a landlord."

Edited by "Steed"

HOLA444

Doesnt sound very PC to me

They forgot Blacks and Irish.

BTW I dont think the DSS has existed for years

One point I saw on this topic on another board was that many landlords who exclude tenants in receipt of benefits are actually scamming the social themselves and do not want the authorities to know about their rental income.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Given the dot on the i in the shape of a circumflex accent and the lines through the middle of the 7s, I wonder if the author of the ad is French and thus doesn't quite understand the connotations of the phrase "working class" in the UK?

Still, all kudos to her (it looks like a woman's handwriting to me) - if it had been a case of no wogs or poofters she'd be in trouble, but I can't think of any anti-discrimination legislation that makes it an offence to discriminate on the grounds of social class specifically. If it did come to court, it would be interesting to say the least to hear the lawyers argue over the qualifying definition of working class!

HOLA448
HOLA449

I'm from Yorkshire. I guess my flat cap, hob nail boots and whippet would not be welcome?

Move along, nothing to see, its part of the "mental illness" called "being a landlord."

Steed, hailing fron Udder's, son of a LL, having witnessed the unsavory world of DSS/DHSS/Social/LHA/Karncil for 20+ years I can tell you it always ends badly for the LL.

They start off good, working, partner moves in/out, they move out 9/10 owing money, leaving the place in a poor state.

Life is hard, circumstances drive people to drink/drugs/illegal work/playing the system to survive, people get bitter, looking to blame someone. Invariably the LL takes the brunt, he is the 'visible one', the soft target, "the one with money".

Play with fire often enough, get burnt enough everyone wants out, dealing with 'difficult people' is difficult.

LL's in Udder's are basically social workers on Kirklees payroll.

Easier ways to make money IMHO

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Is this cheap for the area?

I saw one locally that said "strictly no HB" and was about 50% cheaper than you would expect for similar properties.

Which I thought is a pretty good indicator of how housing benefit makes rents unaffordable for everyone.

Often these room lets are claiming housing benefit themselves therefore do not want housing benefit claimants themselves.

The cheapest room let I have ever scene was £40 a week all bills inclusive for a single room, the owner was a naturist. I never did enquire.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

It's very common to see the 'female only' clause. It's not new it's been going on for years. Still it's discrimination against males so that's not proper discrimination so it's ok

To be honest, I think it's reasonable. If there are three women living in a house and they would feel safer having a fourth woman living there rather than a man, then I don't see a problem with that.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

To be honest, I think it's reasonable. If there are three women living in a house and they would feel safer having a fourth woman living there rather than a man, then I don't see a problem with that.

It's reasonable, just as long as the reverse is also considered reasonable (and allowed in law). For example, if a small business owner would feel safer employing someone who is not a maternity leave risk...

HOLA4424

I live very near Tulse Hill - it is not a smart area. It is mixed property with a lot of council and some streets were once posh. Like a lot of South

London it is very mixed socially and ethnically. But it is zone 3 within easy distance of central london.Three bed houses are a good 400 to 500k.

I thought the no working class prohibition particularly odd.

HOLA4425

I actually saw one in a Slough shop window that said Asians only, the Polish generally write their ads in Polish so no one else understands, kettle pot if you ask me ;)

http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-houses/szoba-kiado/99967650

Edited by Ungeared