18 replies to this topic

#1 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,409 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

18yr old was interviewed and he had to use a food bank when he was made redundant with no money. He was upset because he is a young man that likes to "stand on his own two feet". I think he might have cried if the camera was on for longer.

Posted Image

I wish to thank the poster who recommended the TV series "Noahs Castle". History is repeating.

Edited by MrTReturns, 26 April 2012 - 06:12 AM.

shark.PNG

#2 Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

4 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,471 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:16 AM

18yr old was interviewed and he had to use a food bank when he was made redundant with no money. He was upset because he is a young man that likes to "stand on his own two feet". I think he might have cried if the camera was on for longer.

Free food, fill yer boots! I love how the people in this story are labelled scroungers.

Scroungers bullied foodbank staff to hand over provisions

A GROUP of scroungers have resorted to intimidation to obtain groceries from the emergency Camborne-Redruth Foodbank.

They have scared staff at agencies into handing over vouchers for food they were not entitled to.

The foodbank, stocked by donations from local people, is feeding up to 50 families a week.

The Rev Mike Firbank, rector of Camborne, said: "The foodbank is providing a service which is becoming more and more necessary."

Yet a gang of up to 20 people verbally abused staff at two distribution centres and frightened them into handing over six weeks' worth of food vouchers.

"We have discovered that this group have done the rounds of foodbanks in west Cornwall.

"They start with a sad story but it then turns into an aggressive tirade of verbal abuse and emotional tactics.

"When you have as many as 20 people and there's just one or two support workers, their presence is very intimidating.

"We know who they are, they have been spoken to by the police and given a final warning. If there is a repeat they will be arrested."

Mr Firbank wanted food donors to know the problem had been dealt with. "We have changed our procedures to make sure this cannot happen again.

"It's disappointing because these people don't need the food but there are an increasing number who do.

"The foodbank is desperately needed and this year will be far worse for local families than last year. We are now getting people from a middle-class background who suddenly find themselves on benefits and not knowing how to make it stretch."

The foodbank will feed families for a maximum of three weeks as by then they should have received assistance from statutory agencies.

Mr Firbank said a few agencies had been handing out food vouchers without providing support but this had now been put right.

He added: "We don't want people to stop donating food because it's obvious the need for the foodbank is becoming ever more critical.

"

http://www.thisiscor...tail/story.html
High house prices - wrecking economies worldwide since 2003

#3 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,409 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

They have scared staff at agencies into handing over vouchers for food they were not entitled to.

That is exactly what happened in "Noah's Castle". The full series is not available on Youtube unfortunately, but probably available through a torrent (I bought the DVD).

Here's some clips

shark.PNG

#4 Bloo Loo

Bloo Loo

Ripened on the Diversity Vine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,334 posts
  • About Me:Im Bloo yabba dee yabba die.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

a group of twenty..KNOWN to Police, terrorise indeed conspire and then RIOT to obtain criminally goods they are not entitled to...and the police only SPEAK to them?

are they bankers sons?
WARNING

Your
country is at risk
if you
do not keep up repayments
on a gilt or other loan secured on it

#5 Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

4 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,471 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

I'd never heard of Noah's Castle. The plotline sounds like a goldbug's wet dream.

TO YOUR average politically disinterested 1970s child, only two social phenomena provided sources of real terror. Nuclear Armageddon, of course, was up there at number one. Joining it slightly lower down the night terror pecking order was an altogether more mundane spectre: “prices”. These two sources of consternation couldn’t have been less alike. While atomic holocaust was enormous and vivid, inflation was fiddly and hard to understand, but the escalating cost of a Curly Wurly was a clear and present danger. So what seemed like an insanely counter-intuitive idea – making a futuristic children’s drama out of the stuff of pie charts and percentages and humorous Richard Stilgoe numbers – was actually a sound move from Lewis Rudd’s low budget mavericks at Southern’s children’s department.

The dateline is our old favourite, an unspecified near future which studio accountants will be pleased to know looks exactly like today. The air is thick with unease. Fuzzy transistor radios buzz at the breakfast table with the latest OPEC worries, rubbish piles up in the streets, and the price of a tin of PAL is frankly unbelievable. Sternly moustachioed, self-made shoe shop manager Norman Mortimer, head of the solidly upper middle class Mortimer household and played with zeal by the reptilian DAVID NEAL in a militaristic register somewhere between Maurice Bronson and Keith off Nuts in May, has seen the writing on the wall. He hikes his brood off to a country manor house he’s bought, stuffed with carton upon carton of the finest cash-’n'-carry produce money can still just about buy, there to sit out the ensuing social calamity in Angel Delight-fuelled security. (It’s a sign of the times that the tins of Bartlett pear halves, rather than the Portland stone des. res., are seen as the major investment.)

http://www.tvcream.co.uk/?p=1565

A hard-to-recognise Mike Reid and Zammo:

Posted Image

#6 Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

4 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,471 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

all through this 'we're not in a double dip' gubbermint/BBC/MSM effort,you only had to open your eyes to see the shuttered up pubs,shops and factories and the queues in aldi to know all was not well.GDP growth is a much manipulated indicator of economic health.

Really? It must be different in your town. The only thing I'm seeing is pubs closing and that's usually down to landlords' inability to make a living due to excessive lease costs and the price at which they have to buy their drinks from the brewery.

#7 Bloo Loo

Bloo Loo

Ripened on the Diversity Vine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,334 posts
  • About Me:Im Bloo yabba dee yabba die.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

Really? It must be different in your town. The only thing I'm seeing is pubs closing and that's usually down to landlords' inability to make a living due to excessive lease costs and the price at which they have to buy their drinks from the brewery.

reporters fail to report real news until there is a headline.

food banks didnt just appear yesterday.
the recession didnt happen yesterday.
WARNING

Your
country is at risk
if you
do not keep up repayments
on a gilt or other loan secured on it

#8 SarahBell

SarahBell

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,740 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

So a load of people are starving whilst a load of others are happy to self-serve themselves out of hunger?
Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

#9 porca misèria

porca misèria

Porcine Aviation Enterprises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,156 posts
  • About Me:pig

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

TO YOUR average politically disinterested 1970s child, only two social phenomena provided sources of real terror. Nuclear Armageddon, of course, was up there at number one. Joining it slightly lower down the night terror pecking order was an altogether more mundane spectre: “prices”.

Evidently written by someone who wasn't a child at the time. I was!

Nuclear armageddon was a much-faded threat by then. It was much more a spectre of our parents generation: those who had seen the 1950s/60s when the cold war was advancing.

And prices were also the concern of our parents, since they were the ones who had to provide for us. If you have no money then prices are neither here nor there.

#10 Sour Mash

Sour Mash

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

That is exactly what happened in "Noah's Castle". The full series is not available on Youtube unfortunately, but probably available through a torrent (I bought the DVD).

Here's some clips

That was a brilliant show - I loved it when I was a kid. Probably contributed to my 'inflationist' expectations from the current crisis :-)

Anyway, didn't realise you could now buy it on DVD so I have placed an order, thanks for the heads up!

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#11 timebandit

timebandit

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

I always wondered why Camborne house prices, compared to other parts of Cornwall so reasonable.
Good links to the A30, the lovely St Ives coastline and countryside.
Like Wales is it lack of employment, mundic, outsiders buying property & dumping town for problem families?
Twitter account Join and follow each other

Home Buyers' Strike- Join the group

http://www.facebook....104936389547036

#12 Monkey

Monkey

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

http://www.housepric...#entry909023113

re label the tescos scanners "food bank redemption till" problem solved

#13 Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

4 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,471 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

I always wondered why Camborne house prices, compared to other parts of Cornwall so reasonable.
Good links to the A30, the lovely St Ives coastline and countryside.
Like Wales is it lack of employment, mundic, outsiders buying property & dumping town for problem families?

If you live in Cornwall you usually want to live by the sea and beaches so the coastal towns are the more expensive.

Camborne / Redruth are good for jobs but many people doing them live elsewhere because they can afford to. CamRed are the ex-mining towns without much going for them. They're not actually that bad and both have nice bits but people in general don't choose to live there if they can afford elsewhere, hence cheap houses.

#14 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,409 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

They use a Food Stamp swipe card at Walmart/Supermarket for food. It could work here. Although nearly 1/3 of Americians are on food stamps now :o

shark.PNG

#15 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,549 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

More Labour propaganda from the BBC. Those nasty cuts.

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users