144 replies to this topic

#91 Ill_handle_it

Ill_handle_it

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Yes - unless they're marked as two bays.

Oh right thanks - is that gospel ?

#92 thombleached

thombleached

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Oh right thanks - is that gospel ?

I'm guessing if there aren't any parking restrictions on that street - then a vehicle can park without obstruciton anywhere it chooses.

#93 pl1

pl1

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

As some people have mentioned the issue sometimes occurs with not enough parking for businesses in town centre locations. I honestly don't understand why companies situate themselves in town centres. They often cite access to shops and nearby bars for after-work drinks give a better working spirit, compared to the nasty industrial estate; but I don't go to work so I can visit the shops, I'd much rather work in an out-of-town location that had plenty of parking.

And doncha know it, the people praising their shiny new town centre, glassed office block often have one of the limited on-site parking spots, while everyone else has to do a 15 minute walk each morning in the rain and risk the wrath off p1ssed of residents.

Edited by pl1, 28 April 2012 - 05:04 PM.

#94 SNACR

SNACR

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

As some people have mentioned the issue sometimes occurs with not enough parking for businesses in town centre locations. I honestly don't understand why companies situate themselves in town centres. They often cite access to shops and nearby bars for after-work drinks give a better working spirit, compared to the nasty industrial estate; but I don't go to work so I can visit the shops, I'd much rather work in an out-of-town location that had plenty of parking.

And doncha know it, the people praising their shiny new town centre, glassed office block often have one of the limited on-site parking spots, while everyone else has to do a 15 minute walk each morning in the rain and risk the wrath off p1ssed of residents.

This is what leads to sh1thole town centres and no community. Soon the town is, just like so many in modern Britain, a collection of sh1tty new build houses and the odd school all penned in by a bypass with a choice of either a Tesco or McDonalds on each identical roundabout.

#95 Ill_handle_it

Ill_handle_it

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Where I work there's parking restriction in the immediate area,jointly due to the local school and businesses. I park around a half mile away, there's no restrictions whatsoever other than the residents preferring people not to park in "their" street. We don't have a perfect system,however I personally have chosen not to put in a dropped kerb outside my home as it would prevent people from parking there when I'm at work - sometimes it means I have to park a couple of blocks from where I live due to their being no spots when I get home,I honestly don't mind - it's give and take. As far as I'm concerned the people that take two spots with one car, when they have room for three cars on their drive are ****s.

#96 Jie Bie

Jie Bie

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

My own experience is that many companies (including my own) are eschewing city centre locations in favour of soulless out of town business parks.

I actually miss the days when I worked in a city centre office and we'd all head to the boozer after work on a Friday for a few post work drinks. Although I appreciate some people don't like or don't have a good provision for public transport.

#97 worzel

worzel

HPC Scarecrow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

Had another note on my car on Friday. Not sure how long it had been there as I don't drive it much if at all during the week. The note claimed that I was selfish, and that parking by a dropped kerb was illegal. They don't have a drive, so not sure what the dropped kerb is for anyway. Needless to say I'll be ignoring it and will park there again when it the closest spot to my house. I really don't get why walking 20m to your car is such a hardship, I walk several miles a day to and from the station at each end of my commute come rain or shine, so the obsession with having your car outside your house is just plain weird to me. If you ate that bothered the solution is to get a house with a drive rather than stick petty notes on people's cars.
Posted from my
Macbookwheel

#98 Ill_handle_it

Ill_handle_it

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

I normally park about half a mile from where I work as I save time and it's good to get a little free exercise. However, yesterday I couldn't park in the normal spot, so parked a little nearer. When I came out to my car a few hours later there was a piece of cardboard under my wiper that said "Stop parking outside other peoples houses and going to work - some people work from home and take deliveries" and my reg number was written on the top and bottom of both sides. Also a few weeks previously I parked outside a house with a double driveway (I was legally parked) and the guy parked halfway across his dropped kerb and left his rear bumper virtually touching my front bumper. I came back to my car and I couldn't move as I'd reversed in tight against the kerb with my front wheels at an angle when I arrived. I couldn't reverse at all. I knocked on the door and he moved it. He was a gorilla and it was late at night and I'd just finished a 10 hour shift. When he agreed to move the car - I decided it wasn't the best time to get into an argument. Where do I stand legally with this ? What if he hadn't move the car or not been home ? And are notes a form of intimidation ?

#99 The Eagle

The Eagle

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,692 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:13 AM

Didn't we have a very similar thread recently already? (I'm sure I didn't dream that...)
Owe no man anything but to love one another.
[Romans 13:8]
>>Thrive: What On Earth Will It Take? << - Must see movie! (click to watch on youtube)
Description from IMDB ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2063834/ ):
"An unconventional documentary that lifts the veil on what's really going on in our world by following the money upstream - uncovering the global consolidation of power in nearly every aspect of our lives. Weaving together breakthroughs in science, consciousness and activism, THRIVE offers real solutions, empowering us with unprecedented and bold strategies for reclaiming our lives and our future."

#100 houses-do-my-head-in

houses-do-my-head-in

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:03 AM

I think a driveway has to have a dropped kerb under most councils to be classed as a driveway which you cannot block. If they have a dropped kerb they should have council permission.

Providing you are not blocking driveway, double yellows etc you can park infront of anyones house.

I bloody hate people that think they OWN the road infront of their house even if they have no driveway. I was once blocked in by a guy who had 3 cars and a works van. I expertly manouevred out of the space which angered him as he wanted me to have to knock on the door to ask him to move. He came out and threats followed that I shouldnt park there again and if I did he would damge my car etc blah blah blah.
I pointed out that I knew where he lived and he didnt know where I lived and his windows would go through PLUS his cars would get done if there was any damage to my car which was a 300quid scrapper anyway, and that I was now going to park there again just to prove a point.

Sorry if I seems obnoxious but I have a severe dislike of these people. If my car is taxed I will legally park where I want and I would encourage you to do the same. Obviously if there are disabled people needing access etc I wouldn't take this stance.
AT MY COMMAND UNLEASH HELL

#101 houses-do-my-head-in

houses-do-my-head-in

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:09 AM

Where do I stand legally with this ? What if he hadn't move the car or not been home ? And are notes a form of intimidation ?

Ive seen 1 of those cop programs where police forcefully moved a car that was blocking access and towed away, so I assume it will be the same for you if you are legally parked and are prevented from moving your car. Whether the cops could be bothered is another matter.
I doubt the note is a threat if they didnt threaten a consequence. However if you get threatened in person like I did thats a different matter.

Just tell the whingers that your tax disc is your personal parking permit to legally park anywhere you bloody want!!
AT MY COMMAND UNLEASH HELL

#102 The Knimbies who say no

The Knimbies who say no

HPC Crusader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,195 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:39 AM

I normally park about half a mile from where I work as I save time and it's good to get a little free exercise. However, yesterday I couldn't park in the normal spot, so parked a little nearer. When I came out to my car a few hours later there was a piece of cardboard under my wiper that said "Stop parking outside other peoples houses and going to work - some people work from home and take deliveries" and my reg number was written on the top and bottom of both sides. Also a few weeks previously I parked outside a house with a double driveway (I was legally parked) and the guy parked halfway across his dropped kerb and left his rear bumper virtually touching my front bumper. I came back to my car and I couldn't move as I'd reversed in tight against the kerb with my front wheels at an angle when I arrived. I couldn't reverse at all. I knocked on the door and he moved it. He was a gorilla and it was late at night and I'd just finished a 10 hour shift. When he agreed to move the car - I decided it wasn't the best time to get into an argument. Where do I stand legally with this ? What if he hadn't move the car or not been home ? And are notes a form of intimidation ?

Some people think they own the road, as others have pointed out. I can understand frustrations, as over the years some once-deserted streets will now be packed with other people's cars, but that's just the way it is. As long as everyone is legally parked, and sensible, there should be no problems. Some people have nowt better to do.

Look out Dave, you will soon be handing the keys back mate.

The knimbies who say "No" demand..... a sacrifice!
Arthur: Knimbies of No, we are but simple hardworking families who seek affordable housing on the scrubland beyond these woods.
Knimbies of No: No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No!
Bedevere: Please stop opposing our reasonable demands!
Knimby of No: We shall say "No" to you... if you do not appease us.
Arthur: Well what is it you want?
Knimby of No: We will allow you to build your precious high density shoeboxes, so long as you do not move so much as....

(pregnant pause)

A SHRUBBERY!!!!

#103 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,161 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

The UK loves "property" rights.

#104 GinAndPlatonic

GinAndPlatonic

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

Sorry if I seems obnoxious but I have a severe dislike of these people. If my car is taxed I will legally park where I want and I would encourage you to do the same. Obviously if there are disabled people needing access etc I wouldn't take this stance.

Totally agree. Car is taxed? then park anywhere as long as it is legal....end of story. If you are blocked in afterwards,and the car owner will not move then call police and explain.
Jack Palance: "Do you know what the secret of life is? One thing. Just one thing. You stick to that and everything else don't mean shit."
Billy Crystal: "Yeah, but what's that one thing?"
Jack Palance: "That's what you've got to figure out."

#105 Battenberg

Battenberg

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:43 AM

You should be able to park in any street where parking restrictions aren't in place such as resident permit holders only. Just don't park over anybody's access to their drive or opposite somebodies drive.
property ladder funnies :-
<a href="http://images.google...120&tbnw=97&hl" target="_blank">http://images.google...;tbnw=97&hl</a>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users