Shows how much confidence they have in "deflation kicking in". :lol:

#2 tomandlu

tomandlu

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/savings/9209004/Highly-unlikely-NSandI-will-bring-back-inflation-linked-savings-certificates.html

Gosh, I wonder why that could be?
Buy my book "All the Way Home"

#3 gf3

gf3

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/savings/9209004/Highly-unlikely-NSandI-will-bring-back-inflation-linked-savings-certificates.html

BM savings are doing inflation or 4.3% which ever is the higher

BM savings

#4 Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

4 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,012 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Rowlocks, they said a new issue in April and i have been holding 30k in a rubbish deposit account awaiting this. Why do I trust what they say?

Hmmm... share dealing fund it is then.
High house prices - wrecking economies worldwide since 2003

#5 msi

msi

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

Given our 2012/13 target is to deliver 0 Net Financing, we do not expect to be able to reintroduce Index-linked Savings Certificates in the coming financial year."

Eh? Does this mean the Treasury don't need to borrow any more money from Joe public?

I wonder why not, is is that the money markets are open and clamouring to lend to us, or that they think inflation will spike and devalue current debt?

#6 Wurzel Of Highbridge

Wurzel Of Highbridge

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts
  • About Me:What I find I keep.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

Eh? Does this mean the Treasury don't need to borrow any more money from Joe public?

I wonder why not, is is that the money markets are open and clamouring to lend to us, or that they think inflation will spike and devalue current debt?

The bankrupt of England want high street banks to be funded from customer deposits rather than the BOE, that is why they they are doing this.

Ultimately the money not being put into NS&I 'should' flow into the high street banks for mortgage lending.

I say screw them, I would rather keep my money in NS&I at a lower interest rate than lend my money to high street banks who lend it out at a margin and push up house prices. :angry:
  • I don't believe that there can be sustainable asset inflation when there is underlying wage deflation.
  • No matter what you choose to do in life, choose to do what you are best at and be the best you can be.
  • Everyone is a vested interest and everything is rigged.
  • Sometimes bubble dynamics just end, people stop believing and what was once a virtuous cycle suddenly morphs into vicious one.
  • The real value goes beyond the money.

I have come to realize that there is widespread belief in a 2015 global recovery.At this point in June 2013 is clear that there will be no recovery in 2015, central bankers have run out of tools to patch over the structural problems and the can can no longer be kicked.As we approach 2015 it will be clear that the emperor has no clothes and there will be an economic crash that makes 2009 look trivial.Note: I was wrong on 2nd May 2012 12:00 - London Top called prediction of London will fall by >10% in 12 months.

#7 msi

msi

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

The bankrupt of England want high street banks to be funded from customer deposits rather than the BOE, that is why they they are doing this.

Ultimately the money not being put into NS&I 'should' flow into the high street banks for mortgage lending.

I say screw them, I would rather keep my money in NS&I at a lower interest rate than lend my money to high street banks who lend it out at a margin and push up house prices. :angry:

In that case, go for the highest paying high street rates (around 4.5% fixed for 5 years), so they have to up their SVR, but then move after 3 so they have to look for short term funding, pushing the SVR up.

I'm fed up with all this c**p

#8 Quicken

Quicken

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

BM savings are doing inflation or 4.3% which ever is the higher

BM savings

Not bad if you don't mind locking your money away for 5 years min, but the 5% charge on early withdrawals will wipe out over one year's interest in the short term.
Q
Remember, if you need Government 'help' to get a mortgage then you are subprime.

Bubble Killer: Wages and salaries for the middle income quintile of non-retired households fell in real terms from 33,100 in 2007/08 to 28,300 in 2011/12. 15% fall.

My Songs: Money for Nothing, Home Foreclosed

#9 InlikeFlynn

InlikeFlynn

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

Just a thought but I suspect that this withdrawal of certificates will probably bring an end to rollovers of existing maturing certificates.

I haven't checked the small print however.

Flynn

#10 Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

4 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,012 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Just a thought but I suspect that this withdrawal of certificates will probably bring an end to rollovers of existing maturing certificates.

I haven't checked the small print however.

Flynn

Doubt it, I've even had second roll-overs of three year bonds into index-linked when current conditions say you only get one.
High house prices - wrecking economies worldwide since 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users