Photo

What Is It With Wrinklies And Their Sense Of Entitlement?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 montesquieu

montesquieu

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

Just had an offer rejected of about 18% off asking. :angry:

Wrinkly boomer has told estate agent that she is holding firm for her asking price after a year and a half on the market (apparently she got an offer at asking near the start from a coupe who hadn't sold, which of course went pear shaped when they in turn couldn't sell).

Place is rather nice but - patently - not worth asking if it hasn't sold in 18 months. It's a nice place but is in shared grounds, and comes with a really steep monthly service charge. I think my offer price is fair.

Dipshit estate agent arguing the toss got my goat as well. Why should he be pissed off at me when it's the boomer that's wasting his time and advertising budget?

What is it with these people and their sense of entitlement? Asking is more than double what she paid in 2000, so she gets it for free plus a chunk of additional free money, assuming she's also been paying down a mortgage what's the ******ing problem? :blink:

Edited by montesquieu, 16 April 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#2 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,879 posts
  • About Me:Fount of wisdom, and pinnacle of taste!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

You have to find a "committed seller"! Too many bloody "kite flyers"! :blink:
Ignorance can be cured! Stupidity cannot!

#3 geezer466

geezer466

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • Location:200 Meters from Probably the Most Famous Prom in the World

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

Go back near Xmas time and offer 20% under your 18%.......

Or....

Get a mate to view it and offer 25% off asking...... ;)
This is the space for the signature thingy.........

#4 Saver

Saver

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

Just had an offer rejected of about 18% off asking. :angry:

Wrinkly boomer has told estate agent that she is holding firm for her asking price after a year and a half on the market (apparently she got an offer at asking near the start from a coupe who hadn't sold, which of course went pear shaped when they in turn couldn't sell).

Place is rather nice but - patently - not worth asking if it hasn't sold in 18 months. It's a nice place but is in shared grounds, and comes with a really steep monthly service charge. I think my offer price is fair.

Dipshit estate agent arguing the toss got my goat as well. Why should he be pissed off at me when it's the boomer that's wasting his time and advertising budget?

What is it with these people and their sense of entitlement? Asking is more than double what she paid in 2000, so she gets it for free plus a chunk of additional free money, assuming she's also been paying down a mortgage what's the ******ing problem? :blink:

She's not "giving it away" you know! As someone I know said when I suggested maybe she could sell it if she dropped the price a bit (despite trying to sell it for well over double what she paid many years ago).

The weird thing is I have heard her comment to younger friends "you'd never be able to afford it on your salary", but no connection seems to register....! Its a 2 bedroom terraced house, sort of thing a FTB should be after.

#5 bmf

bmf

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

She's not "giving it away" you know! As someone I know said when I suggested maybe she could sell it if she dropped the price a bit (despite trying to sell it for well over double what she paid many years ago).

The weird thing is I have heard her comment to younger friends "you'd never be able to afford it on your salary", but no connection seems to register....! Its a 2 bedroom terraced house, sort of thing a FTB should be after.

Best one I saw was on a BBC forum. They needed the wealth transfer from housing because their pension (invested in stocks and shares) had not gone up by enough to pay for 30 years retirement with a good disposable income.

Well - I'm sorry about that! Let's enslave the next generation to fulfil your absurd expectations (which have never happened in history) at once.

#6 Wurzel Of Highbridge

Wurzel Of Highbridge

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

You will find that most of these 'entitled' elders want their Cake and to eat it.

The other half's mother is trying to do the same. House on the market for 2 years, one offer and 1/2 dozen viewings.

Well I can't payback my mortgage and buy another house if I do not get the full asking price. The outstanding mortgage on the ex-council house is £40k, she paid £40k for in 1993!

That generation seem to think that they are entitled to a free house.
  • I don't believe that there can be sustainable asset inflation when there is underlying wage deflation.
  • No matter what you choose to do in life, choose to do what you are best at and be the best you can be.
  • Everyone is a vested interest and everything is rigged.
  • Sometimes bubble dynamics just end, people stop believing and what was once a virtuous cycle suddenly morphs into vicious one.
  • The real value goes beyond the money.

I have come to realize that there is widespread belief in a 2015 global recovery.

At this point in June 2013 is clear that there will be no recovery in 2015, central bankers have run out of tools to patch over the structural problems and the can can no longer be kicked.

As we approach 2015 it will be clear that the emperor has no clothes and there will be an economic crash that makes 2009 look trivial.

Note: I was wrong on 2nd May 2012 12:00 - London Top called prediction of London will fall by >10% in 12 months.

#7 montesquieu

montesquieu

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

You will find that most of these 'entitled' elders want their Cake and to eat it.

The other half's mother is trying to do the same. House on the market for 2 years, one offer and 1/2 dozen viewings.

Well I can't payback my mortgage and buy another house if I do not get the full asking price. The outstanding mortgage on the ex-council house is £40k, she paid £40k for in 1993!

That generation seem to think that they are entitled to a free house.

Interesting thing is she's selling to rent ... wants to buy near daughter in Dorset down the line without a chain to limit her options.

Wouldn't be surprised of course if it's mortgaged to the hilt .... paid £180k in 2000, wants £400k now ... probably owes at least £180k :P

#8 Executive Sadman

Executive Sadman

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,449 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Heres a story i came across that sums up the miserable coffin dodging wretches.

http://www.thisisloc...ty_development/

Bald/grey old coots? Check
Retired/Nothing better to do than create misery? Check

http://www.thisisloc...rticleLandscape

The owners of the property applied to raise the roof of the bungalow and turn it into a two storey house with an extra third bedroom.

Sounds reasonable, eh...maybe they have an expanding family and thanks to boomer NIMBYs cant trade up to a bigger house.

but no...

CAMPAIGNERS said their pretty street scene will be ruined if owners of a bungalow are given permission to turn it into a two storey house.

So, their pretty street scene might be 'ruined'
Must be pretty darned amazing, huh. maybe some listed cottages, or a tudor street, something like this comes to mind...
Posted Image

erm, not quite. They destroyed one families right to improve their own home, to protect this, a run of the mill, grey, dull, souless 70s estate. A van in a driveway creates a bigger visual impact than turning a bungalow into a chalet.
http://maps.google.c...,185.46,,0,8.54

IS THIS COUNTRY UTTERLY UTTERLY MAD?

But funnily enough, if they all had big plots and could make money for themselves out of it, somehow i dont think 'ruining' the street scene would get talked about...

Thats the funniest bit for me...its that about 90% of this countrys housing stock is already ugly as sin. Theres nothing worth preserving in most cases.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

#9 thecrashingisles

thecrashingisles

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,046 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Thats the funniest bit for me...its that about 90% of this countrys housing stock is already ugly as sin. Theres nothing worth preserving in most cases.

+1000

#10 Wurzel Of Highbridge

Wurzel Of Highbridge

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

It's crap isn't it?

YOU buy a your own house as some ridiculous price, then THEY will not let you do what you want with it.

THEY forget it's your house, not theirs. :angry:

Might as well rent it because when you get old they will sell it to pay for your care.:unsure:

Edited by khards, 16 April 2012 - 08:11 PM.

• I don't believe that there can be sustainable asset inflation when there is underlying wage deflation.
  • No matter what you choose to do in life, choose to do what you are best at and be the best you can be.
  • Everyone is a vested interest and everything is rigged.
  • Sometimes bubble dynamics just end, people stop believing and what was once a virtuous cycle suddenly morphs into vicious one.
  • The real value goes beyond the money.

I have come to realize that there is widespread belief in a 2015 global recovery.

At this point in June 2013 is clear that there will be no recovery in 2015, central bankers have run out of tools to patch over the structural problems and the can can no longer be kicked.

As we approach 2015 it will be clear that the emperor has no clothes and there will be an economic crash that makes 2009 look trivial.

Note: I was wrong on 2nd May 2012 12:00 - London Top called prediction of London will fall by >10% in 12 months.

#11 Mickey

Mickey

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

I do not understand the thinking of planning officials on such bungalows myself. We live on a 1970s estate and the local planners will not permit the 2 bed detached bungalows to be extended upwards. They are all on good size plots and the walls are strong enough. The estate is a mixture of single and two storey houses anyway - some detached and some semi-detached.

The only thing I can think is that the planners want these bungalows to remain smaller 2 bed properties because the town has an ageing demographic.

However, it is younger families and couples who have been buying these bungalows when they come up for sale because 1970s properties are unpopular and relatively cheap for the available space. We now have families stuck in 2 bed accommodation who cannot afford to move to a larger home and who are being prevented from creating an extra bedroom [alongside retired neighbours in four bed detached houses bought in 1974].

#12 Diver Dan

Diver Dan

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Heres a story i came across that sums up the miserable coffin dodging wretches.

http://www.thisisloc...ty_development/

From teh comments at the bottom:

"Stick with it - or Epping will deteriorate into another Brentwood."

rofl

Edited by Diver Dan, 16 April 2012 - 08:54 PM.

That's it, I'm getting a wall-safe.

I'd be happy if I were right but I'll settle for being Less Wrong

#13 Charlie The Tramp Returns

Charlie The Tramp Returns

EU Troll Buster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts
  • About Me:Originally joined the Forum on 30 October 2003

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

What Is It With Wrinklies And Their Sense Of Entitlement?

If they can`t get what they think it`s worth they don`t see the point in selling or moving on so at the end of the day they decide to stay where they are. Source a frustrated local Estate Agent. <_<

Would Errol sells you his holding of Gold at $500 an ounce. :rolleyes:
I have been studying the European Economic Community which became the European Community and finally becoming the European Union since the 1st January 1973. As each year passed the stench of corruption, financial recklessness, and Dictatorship has got totally out of control.

In an interview,( on holiday in the exclusive Swiss ski resort of Davos ) the Liberal Democrat leader was asked whether he was in charge while the Prime Minister was away from Britain travelling in the Middle East. Sipping from a mug marked “Deputy Prime Minister,” he said: “Yeah, I suppose I am. I forgot about that.( Proves what a total berk he is )

Cameron must learn the basic rule in politics and life ( Put brain in gear before putting mouth in motion ) and Miliband with no direct British Lineage should dig a hole and disappear down it.

Is Nicholarse Elcleggski ( 25% British ) insane? Who, in their right mind would willingly appease the French and Germans?

In our Country today THE TRUTH MUST NEVER BE SPOKEN, I will leave you all with your very bleak future as I will be gone.

The Lib/Dems who over the years have supported the demise of the moral and accepted standards we were all brought up to respect. The party who would lead us the way of the Ancient Greek and Roman Empires. We can Add David Cameron and Ed Miliband as Leaders of their parties who are heading for the buffers

#14 bmf

bmf

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

If they can`t get what they think it`s worth they don`t see the point in selling or moving on so at the end of the day they decide to stay where they are. Source a frustrated local Estate Agent. <_<

Would Errol sells you his holding of Gold at $500 an ounce. :rolleyes:

Does everyone have to buy gold or sleep in the streets?

#15 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

This sense of entitlement is endemic. It will humble many.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users