Dave Beans

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,913 posts
  • About Me:Groping The Sands Of Time

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

http://www.thesun.co...Sun-survey.html

ALMOST half of all Britons are “seriously considering” moving overseas, an exclusive survey for The Sun has found.

Australia is top of the relocation wish list followed by the US, Canada and New Zealand. The cost of living, weather, unemployment and crime are the most common reasons for wanting to quit Britain. Pollsters YouGov quizzed 1,650 adults after The Sun told last week about Dave and Jackie Jones who emigrated to Australia with their 12 kids.

The family from Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria — who have never claimed benefits — quit in despair at what they see as soft-touch Britain’s emphasis on state handouts instead of opportunities. Dave, 42, said: “I have to do the best for my kids and I feel the opportunities I want for them will not be in the UK.”

Our poll found that most Britons agree. Three in five think quality of life will be worse for their kids than it has been for them. Just 13 per cent think their children will have it better. Six per cent of those polled are actively making plans to leave, and 42 per cent say they will seriously consider it. The cost of living was named by 52 per cent as a good reason for leaving.

The weather scored 37 per cent, job availability 31 per cent and crime 27 per cent. Britain’s countryside would be missed by 25 per cent, the NHS by 19 per cent and TV by ten per cent. Nothing else about life here rated double figures. Standards of education, pollution and the environment were listed as good reasons for moving abroad.

And incredibly, 11 per cent of those quizzed even listed “British people” as their motivation to go. Only 11 per cent of us said there was nothing that could make them want to leave the UK. The survey also shows a shift in attitudes to emigration. While half of us today would consider leaving our home nation, only 20 per cent say their parents, grandparents or great-grandparents moved to Britain from overseas.

When asked under what circumstances people should be allowed to move to Britain, 50 per cent say people should sometimes be allowed to come here to find work. But 38 per cent said this should never be allowed. Most agreed that people should be able to come to Britain to study at a university. The poll also found that most important aspects of life in Britain have worsened over the last 20 years. Manners and politeness were mentioned by 83 per cent, the economy by 81 per cent, crime 68 per cent and education 55 per cent. YouGov asked whether the last five PMs going back to Margaret Thatcher had made the country better or worse. All were deemed to have done more damage than good — with Gordon Brown and David Cameron doing especially badly.

The Sun told how hard-working Dave Jones — who earned £38,000-a-year doing night shifts at a paper mill — and Jackie, 43, left the country with their brood last Saturday. They will be staying with friends until Dave finds a job and a house big enough for them all. Dave paid £8,000 to fly the children — aged from four months to 18 - to Brisbane. He said: “It is a happy time because it is a new life and a new opportunity for all of us.”

myView

By CHARLOTTE WARD, Who moved to Australia

I LEFT London in September last year, moving to Sydney for a life overhaul. My job as a freelance writer had become harder over the previous months. The weather and lifestyle in Australia seemed better and I was sure I’d find new opportunities. A month before I jetted off, the riots broke out. It was depressing. Friends started to come out the woodwork, saying they wished they were going.

Six months on, it seems to have been the right choice. I’m getting regular work and other expats have similar stories. The only downfall is that Australia is extremely expensive with extortionate prices being charged in Sydney for retail goods, food and rent. But it’s a short bus ride into the bustle of city life and I can also step out my front door and be on the beach in five minutes. It beats the drudgery of the Tube.

YOUGOV quizzed 1,650 adults on April 12-13. Numbers do not always add up to exactly 100 per cent because of rounding or because multiple answers were allowed for some questions.

"seriously considering" - how many of them will actually go through with it? But 52% state its the "cost of living" thats the main reason behind it...

Posted Image

Edited by Dave Beans, 15 April 2012 - 04:26 PM.

"Wont someone please think of the children"

The Sad Faces Of Wronged Mail Readers

Eurocleese De Zouch

#2 papag

papag

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

well Its April 15th and in Leeds today its 5c raining and a cold northerly wind great ehh.
Money printed is like money from Heaven for the Bankers, however it leads the rest of us to the gates of Hell.

#3 nmarks

nmarks

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

It's not a happy country, is it? :(

Given the problems that prospective emigrants have identified you'd think that the TPTB would take action to address those problems but they don't.

For me, sunshine and weather is a very important aspect of quality of life. Get that right and I am a happy-bunny and it looks like a lot of others feel the same way.

Obviously, there's nothing TPTB can do about the weather but there are a great many things they can do to make the grass greener here so that people have less reason to leave - for instance redeveloping British High Streets with attractive state-of-the-art visions.

Edited by nmarks, 15 April 2012 - 04:31 PM.

The 25 Most Dangerous People In Financial Media

There are some things that men must do in order that they remain as men.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove in court. Didn't you tell me that once?

It is the duty of all good men to nurture the seed of self-destruction that lies at the core of every evil.

The biggest delusion that humans suffer is to abrogate their powers to others then expect something other than despair.

#4 Kilham

Kilham

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • About Me:Tin Foil Bear

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

But 52% state its the "cost of living housing" thats the main reason behind it...

A broken people, taken, shattered and scattered over the land once theirs for the taking.
Heritage, traditions, skills and songs forgotten, the anchors lost.
Drifting aimlessly from 60 inch LCD TV to Footballers sex life.
Purposeless but used, leaderless but led.

#5 madpenguin

madpenguin

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

Given the problems that prospective emigrants have identified you'd think that the TPTB would take action to address those problems but they don't.

For me, sunshine and weather is a very important aspect of quality of life. Get that right and I am a happy-bunny and it looks like a lot of others feel the same way.

Obviously, there's nothing TPTB can do about the weather but there are a great many things they can do to make the grass greener here so that people have less reason to leave - for instance redeveloping British High Streets with attractive state-of-the-art visions.

To be honest the British weather isn't all bad, I spent some time in Germany and it got very humid when it get's hot and the rain can be monsoon like, I found myself hankering for the nice fresh breezes in the UK and rain that doesn't hurt or soak you through to your underwear inside 30 seconds.

I hear people get fed up with the sun in Spain and Australia, certainly I spend most med holidays under an umbrella even though I don't burn easily, each to their own I guess.

From what I hear Sydney is very expensive, someone from work went their on business for a month or so and was saying fruit such as apples or oranges cost ridiculous prices.

That's not to say I don't agree with the sentiments in the survey, the UK has become seriously broken in so many ways, I certainly don't intend going back unless things change radically

Edited by madpenguin, 15 April 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#6 Game_Over

Game_Over

I live on HPC!

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

Millions of people want to come here

and Millions of people want to leave.

You have just got to look at who is coming and why

and who is leaving and why and

If you do this you will realise that whatever anyone does this country is finished.

:blink:

#7 madpenguin

madpenguin

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

and who is leaving and why and

If you do this you will realise that whatever anyone does this country is finished.

The problem with UK is that our govenrments of all colours are totally beholden to big business and the banking industry, ok it's true thats the case in many countries but in the UK we have an exterme form, most countries seem to at least make an effort to make life reasonable for ordinary people but in the UK there's not even the pretence.

High immigration as we have discussed on here numerous times depresses wages and keeps people more worried about keeping their jobs than trying to improve their conditions and high property costs and loans makes us literal slaves, I have spoken to a number of people who emmigrated to the UK some time ago (20-30 odd years ago) and even they despair at the high immigration and it's effect on jobs/services, it's fair to say it's out of control

In the UK letters from government agencies especially the Inland Revenue have a tone which reminds you of the Sheriff of Nottingham talking to downtrodden serfs. :angry:

Edited by madpenguin, 15 April 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#8 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,385 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

and who is leaving and why

There will always be someone better off and always someone worse off, human nature is to try and improve your lot if what you have does not satisfy your wants/needs.....this country is not a bad place to live, there are things that could be improved....better the devil you know sometimes......and the weather is good though. ;)
What you don't owe won't worry you.

Less can be more.

#9 TheBlueCat

TheBlueCat

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

If there's one thing Britain leads the world in it's malcontents. I don't think I know anyone that's emigrated because 'they've had enough of the UK' as a primary reason that has suddenly found happiness in their new home, it just doesn't work that way.

#10 concerned_money

concerned_money

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

When a population is being ethnically cleansed - sorry enriched via multiculturalism the host population tends to not be too happy b'out stuff.

The Ab'os & Red Indians favoured the ole fire water.......fast forward 200 years to prozac, jet planes & tesco and hey presto !

Pubs, churches, community, civic values, identity - these instituation have been systematically taken down, why ?

ISOLATED = WEAK = LONELY = power transfer to state to do as they please :ph34r:

#11 Game_Over

Game_Over

I live on HPC!

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Those coming here are coming for free housing, welfare payments, free health care and free education

and those who are leaving, are leaving because they are having to work round the clock to pay for it.

Pretty soon there will be more people taking out than paying in, particularly since the new migrants all seem to have loads of kids and poor health.

And that is why we are now screwed forever

F*ck all to do with banks.

#12 wherebee

wherebee

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts
  • About Me:So I bought a house in Australia in June 2014. Expect a collapse in the western world within 12 months.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

If there's one thing Britain leads the world in it's malcontents. I don't think I know anyone that's emigrated because 'they've had enough of the UK' as a primary reason that has suddenly found happiness in their new home, it just doesn't work that way.

wrong - my move overseas gets better every day. Primary reason for moving were the taxation/legal regime in the UK (taking money off the squeezed middle), the lack of opportunities for my kids (employment/education), and my view that clashes between fundamentally culturally incompatible imported groups in the UK will turn increasingly violent in my lifetime, up to and including civil war. I am so much happier overseas than I was in the UK, even after counting in the friends etc left behind.

and yes, I know I am an 'immigrant' in my new country, but it has an anglo-christian basis with a very strong state established atheist/secular streak - as do I.

There is always death and taxes; however, death doesn't get worse every year.....

How the flipping 'eck did we get to 2014 without flying cars and laser guns?

#13 concerned_money

concerned_money

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

wrong - my move overseas gets better every day. Primary reason for moving were the taxation/legal regime in the UK (taking money off the squeezed middle), the lack of opportunities future for my kids (employment/education), and my view that clashes between fundamentally culturally incompatible imported groups in the UK will turn increasingly violent in my lifetime, up to and including civil war. I am so much happier overseas than I was in the UK, even after counting in the friends etc left behind.

and yes, I know I am an 'immigrant' in my new country, but it has an anglo-christian basis with a very strong state established atheist/secular streak - as do I.

This is the strongest motivation I see, crops up in the sub text over & over & over again.

#14 concerned_money

concerned_money

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

Those coming here are coming for free housing, welfare payments, free health care and free education

and those who are leaving, are leaving because they are having to work round the clock to pay for it.

Pretty soon there will be more people taking out than paying in, particularly since the new migrants all seem to have loads of kids and poor health.

And that is why we are now screwed forever

F*ck all to do with banks.

firewater, drugs, shopping& xfactor will blot this out, just "tune in"

#15 RufflesTheGuineaPig

RufflesTheGuineaPig

is fluffy

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,038 posts
  • About Me:I am Ruffles, the destroyer of worlds....

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

48% Of Britons Want To Emigrate

"seriously considering" - how many of them will actually go through with it? But 52% state its the "cost of living" thats the main reason behind it...

I think they'll find the door firmly closed in their face.

Those countries they want to move to have strict immigration rules and limits.

I've always said, when the time comes that everyone wants to leave, they will have no-where to go.

Th other European countries are highly zenophobic and if you don't speak the language you will have no chance of getting a job or claiming benefits, and the counties that speak english like Canada and Australia and New Zealand have Entry requirements and caps on numbers.

There's only 1 westernised country in the world that welcomes immigrants with open arms and wallets, and that's ours.
It's time to pay the piper. There is no magician who will magic away the debt. Someone is going to have to pay it. Bend over and prepare to make payment.

In this glorious nation of ours, if you work hard and keep your head down for 25 years then you too can aspire to own one-eighth of a one bedroom flat in Manchester.

My mum and day always tell me how important it is to save to buy a house. They should know, it took them nearly 6 months to save for theirs. As teenagers, they bought a 3 bed semi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users