happy_renting

Mildly Irritated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

How can this be true?

http://www.vetstreet...utbrain_7418158

Surprisingly easily done. I have dialled 999 twice by accident.

On the first occassion, I was fitting a phone to a wall, and did not bother to unplug it. During the process I must have held the 9 key down.

A few minutes later I had a call from emergency services checking I was all right.

On the second, I dialed a normal number but a fault connected me to emergency services.

All the dog had to do was keep pressing the 9 (obviously) but if something was pressing on that particular button it would be only a matter of time before 999 is dialled.

Also, dogs have their own secret emergency number.

#3 inflating

inflating

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

Surprisingly easily done. I have dialled 999 twice by accident.

On the first occassion, I was fitting a phone to a wall, and did not bother to unplug it. During the process I must have held the 9 key down.

A few minutes later I had a call from emergency services checking I was all right.

On the second, I dialed a normal number but a fault connected me to emergency services.

All the dog had to do was keep pressing the 9 (obviously) but if something was pressing on that particular button it would be only a matter of time before 999 is dialled.

Also, dogs have their own secret emergency number.

:) Oh but a big paw on a dog pressing accurately enough to hit 112 or 999? It's a bit unlikely. I tried to train a dog to press anything with his paw some years ago, it was impossible for him to be nimble enough to press less than 2 buttons at a time. There is just a slight chance, IMO, the dog dialled 112, but I really can't believe it

#4 okaycuckoo

okaycuckoo

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

:) Oh but a big paw on a dog pressing accurately enough to hit 112 or 999? It's a bit unlikely. I tried to train a dog to press anything with his paw some years ago, it was impossible for him to be nimble enough to press less than 2 buttons at a time. There is just a slight chance, IMO, the dog dialled 112, but I really can't believe it

Reminds me of the Simpsons - Homer puts on weight to qualify for workplace disability, but he has a heart attack at home and tries to ring 911 - his fingers are so fat he keeps mashing the keypad and ends up with the talking clock service.

911 is also an emergency number in the UK - dialled it a few months ago by mistake when accessing my answer service.

Anyway, funny quote from the article: "Lydia Brown, the daughter of George's owner, expressed equal amazement at the Basset's lifesaving feat, telling The Sun, "He's really dopey and just likes to chew socks.""

#5 inflating

inflating

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

911 is also an emergency number in the UK - dialled it a few months ago by mistake when accessing my answer service.

I never knew that - so the UK has now adopted the US's SOS number! In Poland, 999 also gets you all the emergency services - but you can reach an individual emergency service by dialling 997 etc.

Edited by inflating, 15 April 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#6 Errol

Errol

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,663 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

I tried to train a dog to press anything with his paw some years ago

Why?

Want to get paid for polls? Try YouGov

#7 inflating

inflating

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Why?

Because he preferred it to bark-activated dialling.

#8 happy_renting

happy_renting

Mildly Irritated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Why?

To dial 999 in an emergency, of course.

#9 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,014 posts
  • About Me:Vote LABOURTORY. You have no choice!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

Just to say the title of this thread alone had me laughing out loud in the coffee shop this morning

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#10 nmarks

nmarks

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

Can he predict this weeks lottery numbers too?

Edited by nmarks, 16 April 2012 - 04:19 PM.

The 25 Most Dangerous People In Financial Media

There are some things that men must do in order that they remain as men.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove in court. Didn't you tell me that once?

It is the duty of all good men to nurture the seed of self-destruction that lies at the core of every evil.

The biggest delusion that humans suffer is to abrogate their powers to others then expect something other than despair.

#11 thecrashingisles

thecrashingisles

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,898 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

I always thought that any digit repeated 3 times will dial the emergency services - 111, 222, 333 etc.

#12 longtomsilver

longtomsilver

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

I always thought that any digit repeated 3 times will dial the emergency services - 111, 222, 333 etc.

That's not the case.

It's just 999 and 112 (possibly 911 now too) this is the reason you dial 9 for an outside line from your office.... 9999, 99999 or 99999999 etc etc if it's really serious and your just hitting that button in panick :D
10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash - Now we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash So, what left? Alcohol.

John Baker, Aberdeen 8/10/2011 22:34
http://www.dailymail...n.html#comments

"the world seems a better place when you're wearing beer goggles".

Quote buried in same article from 27 year old female subject painting the town of Cardiff red on a booze fuelled night out.

#13 Ungeared

Ungeared

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • About Me:Let us be thankful for the fools; but for them the rest of us could not succeed.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

Believe it or not my dog text me 3 times a day ;)
The unrest in London is a form of hooliganism by losers who are living in a society which no longer has anything left to offer losers

#14 jonb

jonb

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

111 is the NHS non-emergency number. The others are potentially the first three digits of a local phone number.

#15 acidreign

acidreign

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

Can he predict this weeks lottery numbers too?

Nah that's Paul the Octopus. He's dead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users