35 replies to this topic

#1 DTMark

DTMark

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

With the objective of trying to understand how the monetary system works, I've watched a few videos now the most memorable of which were "The Money Masters" and "The Creature from Jeklly Island - a Second Look..."

Both very informative (I'd recommend them, they're both on YouTube though the first of them was/is a commercial effort, I think, you can buy it, but then I doubt they're too bothered if they can get their message to a world audience, as it has never been taken down)

Can anyone recommend any others, preferably something free and on YouTube that I can download and write onto a DVD - what have you seen that has really "opened your eyes" on the subjects of money/democracy? Thanks.

#2 Bloo Loo

Bloo Loo

Ripened on the Diversity Vine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,754 posts
  • About Me:Im Bloo yabba dee yabba die.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

With the objective of trying to understand how the monetary system works, I've watched a few videos now the most memorable of which were "The Money Masters" and "The Creature from Jeklly Island - a Second Look..."

Both very informative (I'd recommend them, they're both on YouTube though the first of them was/is a commercial effort, I think, you can buy it, but then I doubt they're too bothered if they can get their message to a world audience, as it has never been taken down)

Can anyone recommend any others, preferably something free and on YouTube that I can download and write onto a DVD - what have you seen that has really "opened your eyes" on the subjects of money/democracy? Thanks.

WARNING

Your
country is at risk
if you
do not keep up repayments
on a gilt or other loan secured on it

#3 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,579 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

Bit of a conspiracy this one, more about power rather than money (but both go hand in hand)

untitled.PNG

#4 bmf

bmf

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

Been wanting to watch this for some time but never get time!!

http://oyc.yale.edu/...ics/econ-252-08

#5 DTMark

DTMark

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

That was quick!

Thanks - downloading now (something appears to have crippled the plugin for IE so when you click "Download Video" - I think I have the paid-for version of RealPlayer to get that - you just get 1.7MB of nothing, but it works in Firefox, just in case anyone else has this issue - this isn't a "here's how to get around copyright" tip, these aren't commercial blockbusters, the issue is tech not copyright here)

These are the two I mentioned, seems rude not to put them up when I'm asking for others' choices..

Great presenter, very clearly explained, I'd say this was pretty essential viewing

Long, interesting, IMO flawed in its bias (but that's why I want to watch more of these..)

#6 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,579 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

2003 podcast predicting recent events http://www.financial...ge-eliades-gold Follow link to podcast sorry, no video!

untitled.PNG

#7 bmf

bmf

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

That was quick!

Thanks - downloading now (something appears to have crippled the plugin for IE so when you click "Download Video" - I think I have the paid-for version of RealPlayer to get that - you just get 1.7MB of nothing, but it works in Firefox, just in case anyone else has this issue - this isn't a "here's how to get around copyright" tip, these aren't commercial blockbusters, the issue is tech not copyright here)

These are the two I mentioned, seems rude not to put them up when I'm asking for others' choices..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu_VqX6J93k

Great presenter, very clearly explained, I'd say this was pretty essential viewing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXt1cayx0hs

Long, interesting, IMO flawed in its bias (but that's why I want to watch more of these..)

Have you read this? Had it on my reading list for a while but not prioritised it yet so wondered as it is clearly linked to the video link you posted.

http://www.amazon.co...34437730&sr=1-1

Posted Image

#8 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,579 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

The Greed aspect of money.

Inside Job is excellent, and The Ascent Of Money (Niall Ferguson) is good, but no full version is available on youtube for free. 2nd best is this:

untitled.PNG

#9 long time lurking

long time lurking

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

Edited by long time lurking, 14 April 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#10 DTMark

DTMark

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

Have you read this? Had it on my reading list for a while but not prioritised it yet so wondered as it is clearly linked to the video link you posted.

http://www.amazon.co...34437730&sr=1-1

Posted Image

The presenter in the video is the writer of that book. The presentation is basically an evening speech, I haven't read the book, but I'd imagine it explores the items in the presentation and expands on them.

#11 DTMark

DTMark

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=U71-KsDArFM

Seems to be the same presenter as "The Money Masters" - I had thought the Oz video was an updated version of the former but a quick scan through shows it is different

Right, I've downloaded the Enron and Austrian ones so far (there's 700MB of my data allowance gone already, the internet seems to be bizarrely fast tonight) with the Oz one queued behind. Will pop back and get the others later. Should keep me busy for a while :)

#12 long time lurking

long time lurking

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

I watched money master`s a few years ago and IMO it is a must watch and a real eye opener

Something I have never looked into is when it was made it looks like early 2000`s late 90`s ?

The amazing part for me is the cycle that was predicted in the film has/and is now happening

#13 long time lurking

long time lurking

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

Seems to be the same presenter as "The Money Masters" - I had thought the Oz video was an updated version of the former but a quick scan through shows it is different

Right, I've downloaded the Enron and Austrian ones so far (there's 700MB of my data allowance gone already, the internet seems to be bizarrely fast tonight) with the Oz one queued behind. Will pop back and get the others later. Should keep me busy for a while :)

The secret of oz is just a condensed and a little updated version of the money masters same story but a hour or so shorter

#14 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,579 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

untitled.PNG

#15 Nuggets Mahoney

Nuggets Mahoney

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,223 posts
  • About Me:Doesn't believe anything.
    Has many suspicions.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

edit: typo

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that many are not genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users