• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SEW247

SEW247

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • About Me:I used to thinking rising house prices were the holy grail, but I have now seen the error of my ways. They only benefit the few and whilst I am currently in a good position, lower prices would be better for me.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

A real quick one!

1) What's to stop someone doing this, by having two different Cash ISAs with two separate banks?

2) How would you get caught?

3) What would happen?

#2 rit

rit

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

You have to provide your NI number as well as all your other personal details, these are then used to link you account(s) back to the tax office. The result is once caught all the accounts will be closed and and interest will then be taxed - or if you opened term accounts you may not see any interest.

#3 giveusthefacts

giveusthefacts

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

A real quick one!

1) What's to stop someone doing this, by having two different Cash ISAs with two separate banks?

2) How would you get caught?

3) What would happen?

3 years ago, my father topped up his Isa, and a few months later opened a new Isa which was offering a headline rate,(forgetting he had already used his annual allowance)

This resulted in him paying in more than his annual Isa allowance.

He received a very abrupt and threatening letter from HMRC and they closed down his new ISA and transferred funds back to his bank account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users