49 replies to this topic

#1 HovelinHove

HovelinHove

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

A few may remember me from years back. I was one of the miserable disenfranchised minority of renters in Britain, abandonded by successive governments desperate to keep the gravy train rolling for their chums in the financial sector. No longer. I have bought a property in Canada where I have lived and worked for nearly a year. I resisted the calls to buy a grotty two bed in hove for a ridiculous price for 8 long years. I'd love to say I squirreled away what I saved by renting, but that would be a lie, I pissed most of it up the wall on beer and holidays. There is no justice though...I got lucky last year...I walked from a company on a Friday in the uk with a tasty package and started a new job in Canada on the Monday...relocation thrown in.
Since then I pretty quickly Sussed that Canada is in a bubble, but if you choose the right area there are still bargains to be had. I snapped up a four bed house with a pool, an in law apartment, on a lovely oldish street where I can walk tothe pub and the beach (albeit on a lake) and be in downtown Toronto quicker than it would take me to get to London from hove all for the same price as a two bed in hove. All I have to do now is not piss my money up the wall down the pub, avoid having a heart attack shovelling snow, and things should be pretty cushdy. (mortgage free in 10 years).
The moral of the story is get the hell out of the uk, if you can, while you can.
For those thinking of canada, I highly recommend it. Come with your eyes open and it is a great place.

#2 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,366 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

Well done for doing what so many of us talk about!

What line of work are you in?
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#3 24gray24

24gray24

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

Toronto is as boring as buggery. The people are just so...frightened of telling the truth. Instead, everyone loves their job, and loves their boss, and loves their city, and next week you hear the same fellow took a dive off his high rise; and no one dares to mention the motorway cutting off the view of the lake. If you do get real, you get ostracised. They just don't know what a good time looks like, and would ban it if they ever found one breaking out.

Not to knock Canada, apart from the weather it's something special, but Toronto is awful. Cow Town just about sums it up (its original name).
2012 prediction:

banks fall like dominoes in 2013, as funds are withdrawn into PMs.

Sarkozy, Obama and Merkel all fall from power.

the british housing crash is not gradual and slow, it drops like a stone on the day interest rates rise.

#4 singlemalt

singlemalt

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:49 AM

Congrats OP. I hope it continues to work out.

Spent a week in Canada a few years ago including a few days in Toronto. I instantly liked the feel of the country and the economy seemed good, some of the people were annoyingly slow paced though. I'd consider moving abroad but Mrs Singlemalt would never leave her family behind. I suspect that the government know that the latter is true for most people in the UK so they aren't overly concerned about taxpaying labor fleeing the country in droves.

#5 TheBlueCat

TheBlueCat

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

Toronto is as boring as buggery. The people are just so...frightened of telling the truth. Instead, everyone loves their job, and loves their boss, and loves their city, and next week you hear the same fellow took a dive off his high rise; and no one dares to mention the motorway cutting off the view of the lake. If you do get real, you get ostracised. They just don't know what a good time looks like, and would ban it if they ever found one breaking out.

Not to knock Canada, apart from the weather it's something special, but Toronto is awful. Cow Town just about sums it up (its original name).

That's not the Toronto I live in, but each to his own I guess.

#6 TheBlueCat

TheBlueCat

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

A few may remember me from years back. I was one of the miserable disenfranchised minority of renters in Britain, abandonded by successive governments desperate to keep the gravy train rolling for their chums in the financial sector. No longer. I have bought a property in Canada where I have lived and worked for nearly a year. I resisted the calls to buy a grotty two bed in hove for a ridiculous price for 8 long years. I'd love to say I squirreled away what I saved by renting, but that would be a lie, I pissed most of it up the wall on beer and holidays. There is no justice though...I got lucky last year...I walked from a company on a Friday in the uk with a tasty package and started a new job in Canada on the Monday...relocation thrown in.
Since then I pretty quickly Sussed that Canada is in a bubble, but if you choose the right area there are still bargains to be had. I snapped up a four bed house with a pool, an in law apartment, on a lovely oldish street where I can walk tothe pub and the beach (albeit on a lake) and be in downtown Toronto quicker than it would take me to get to London from hove all for the same price as a two bed in hove. All I have to do now is not piss my money up the wall down the pub, avoid having a heart attack shovelling snow, and things should be pretty cushdy. (mortgage free in 10 years).
The moral of the story is get the hell out of the uk, if you can, while you can.
For those thinking of canada, I highly recommend it. Come with your eyes open and it is a great place.

Similar story for me. I had a mortgage free small house in the UK a million miles away from work and swapped it for a larger, also mortgage free, house in a great area in downtown Toronto 15 minutes cycle ride from work.

#7 TheBlueCat

TheBlueCat

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:43 AM

Cow Town just about sums it up (its original name).

Oh, and that should be Hog Town. I think Calgary is Cow Town.

#8 Executive Sadman

Executive Sadman

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,343 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:46 AM

Wonder how easy it is to work in Canada and live in America. Some of the US towns near Vancouver are dirt cheap in comparison, and according to streetview there isnt so much as a fence seperating the two countries.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

#9 TheBlueCat

TheBlueCat

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:50 AM

Wonder how easy it is to work in Canada and live in America. Some of the US towns near Vancouver are dirt cheap in comparison, and according to streetview there isnt so much as a fence seperating the two countries.

Don't kid yourself, there's a full border crossing at all points with 1 hour wait times at least. Also, the visa issues would be a nightmare if you weren't a citizen of both. Oh, and the tax would be a real pain too.

#10 Moneyalchemist

Moneyalchemist

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

Great and insightful post about the people.

I lived in Vancouver a while back - a great city, wonderful scenery etc - but "The people are just so...frightened of telling the truth"

Makes for a boring place in the long run.

When I was there it reminded me of the movie "Casablanca" - a place full of recent immigrants from everywhere looking longingly over the US border - to a place they longed to live in but were disallowed through crazy immigration laws.

#11 tahoma

tahoma

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

Best of luck HiH, hope you love it there.

Virtually no idea is too ridiculous to be accepted, even by very intelligent and highly educated people, if it provides a way for them to feel special and important. Some confuse that feeling with idealism.

The vision of the anointed is one in which ills as poverty, irresponsible sex, and crime derive primarily from 'society,' rather than from individual choices and behavior. To believe in personal responsibility would be to destroy the whole special role of the anointed, whose vision casts them in the role of rescuers of people treated unfairly by 'society'.

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.

Thomas Sowell

#12 jfk

jfk

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

good on you OP.

as for moving - too right, this country has nothing to offer, especially our kids (who I would hate to enter adulthood in), me and mrs jfk are seriously looking into emigration to new zealand in a few years.

f*ck this squalid shit hole

#13 campervanman

campervanman

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

I remember a few years ago on the TV series 'no going back' about someone who had moved to Canada. Pissing money up the wall and shovelling snow were issues but nothing compared to bears wandering about in the garden :blink:

Edited by campervanman, 08 April 2012 - 09:13 AM.

Still not young enough to know everything

_57919089_share_income464x332.gif

#14 KingBingo

KingBingo

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

I lived in Vancouver a while back - a great city, wonderful scenery etc - but "The people are just so...frightened of telling the truth"

Somebody who knows Canada help me out here, what's up with this comment about be afraid to tell the truth?

My spider-senses tell me it could just be that they lack the chattering class (Guardian/New York Times reading) folk, but I could be wrong. Just not sure what to make of the comment.

[edit] Oh and Hovelinhove, CONGRATULATIONS, if it were not for family I would have long since done the same.

Edited by KingBingo, 08 April 2012 - 09:20 AM.

The truth is that the economies of rich countries, including the UK, are being kept alive by another and astonishingly under-reported bull market in government debt. This is the bond bubble; and when it bursts, as it surely will, the result will be a recession far deeper than the crash from which we are trying to recover.

Allister Heath
17 September 2011

#15 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,223 posts
  • About Me:Fount of wisdom, and pinnacle of taste!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

One of my colleagues recently went back to Vancouver! You know what? I think they are having a housing bubble there too!

Still, it looks nice!
Congratulations on your move! It seem positive!

BTW, I used to live in Hove! :blink:
Ignorance can be cured! Stupidity cannot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users