#1 interestrateripoff

interestrateripoff

Carry on banking.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,089 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

http://www.guardian....re-price-google

The world's insatiable appetite for all things Apple appears to be reaching new levels. Silicon Valley's hottest company could soon become the world's first trillion-dollar company, according to Wall Street analysts.

This week analyst Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets sparked a media frenzy with his headline-grabbing prediction that Apple's already sky-high share price will touch $1,000 within 12 months. Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster countered with an ever so slightly less bullish case that Apple's share price would hit four figures by 2014.

The technology group achieved another milestone on Thursday as Apple's stock price rose above Google's for the first time. Steve Jobs, Apple's late co-founder, is rumoured to have decided against splitting Apple's stock in order to one day pass Google's share price.

But for all the hoopla, the leap to $1,000 would be a big hike for a company that has already enjoyed a record run on the stock exchange.

Last week Apple's shares were worth $633.38 each slightly more than a mid-range iPad. A year ago they were changing hands at $341.
At its current price Apple is valued at $590.82bn (372bn), making it the most valuable company in the world.

Does Uncle Ben have an app for that?

Apple sounds like one massive bubble.

Why the ramp for Apple?

Proof that Brown had repeated IMF / OECD / BIS warnings over house prices and did nothing!!!
Looting: The Economic Underworld Of Bankruptcy For Profit
The exponential growth of debt and the unsustainability of debt
The logic of HPI @ 10% YoY means your £100k house would be worth £1.38bn in 100 years
Paying down my mortgage with money found on the street

It's time to sue the Bank of England / Federal Reserve for GROSS NEGLIGENCE
If DEBT is the problem REPAYMENT is the solution or you default

"The trouble with the world was that prices were so low that only the rich people could buy and the aim of the Conference was to raise them to a point where it would again be possible for poor people to buy something."

"Northern unemployment is an acceptable price to pay for curbing southern inflation" Eddie George former Governor of the Bank of England

New digest on the credit crisis and economy Part2 Part 3

smaller.jpg

#2 easy2012

easy2012

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

the only issue is when you time your short.

No, the issue is to find easier target then AAPL..

#3 Wurzel Of Highbridge

Wurzel Of Highbridge

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,777 posts
  • About Me:What I find I keep.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Can't wait for this bubble to burst.

Like I tell everyone I work with. Apple is a fashion accessory and it will go out of fashion quickly.

My money is on Google.

Posted Image
  • I don't believe that there can be sustainable asset inflation when there is underlying wage deflation.
  • No matter what you choose to do in life, choose to do what you are best at and be the best you can be.
  • Everyone is a vested interest and everything is rigged.
  • Sometimes bubble dynamics just end, people stop believing and what was once a virtuous cycle suddenly morphs into vicious one.
  • The real value goes beyond the money.

I have come to realize that there is widespread belief in a 2015 global recovery.At this point in June 2013 is clear that there will be no recovery in 2015, central bankers have run out of tools to patch over the structural problems and the can can no longer be kicked.As we approach 2015 it will be clear that the emperor has no clothes and there will be an economic crash that makes 2009 look trivial.Note: I was wrong on 2nd May 2012 12:00 - London Top called prediction of London will fall by >10% in 12 months.

#4 ader

ader

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

I have AAPL shares in my SIPP. I could sell them but what would I buy instead? I just can't see a reason for the shares to fall much for long. Mind you I'd be well up even if the share price fell by 75%

Their markets are growing their customer base is solid and won't move platforms now they have experienced quality and have so much invested in Apple kit and sw (apps) and frankly there is zero competition imho.

#5 petetong

petetong

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

Like I tell everyone I work with. Apple is a fashion accessory and it will go out of fashion quickly.

My money is on Google.

Posted Image

What have Google produced ? A search engine, a browser, a mobile JVM/SDK. How many projects have they started and then binned, bet Google Plus goes the same way. It looks to me that they are struggling to diversify from search. My money is on Apple: OSX, iPhone,iPad,iPod, Safari, etc ...
I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up.

#6 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,019 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

A female friend of mine who has had all the iphones up until the recent one - her last one fell in the sea and died - has been adamant for 3 months now that she will replace her dead iphone with the new one.

Went with her today to the mobo shop and she got to see Samsungs and HTCs alongside the new iphone.

When we walked into the shop she was determined to have an iphone - after 30 minutes of checking out and comparing the others she realised that the iphone was in third place behind the other two. She is going to buy a Samsung now.
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#7 easy2012

easy2012

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

A female friend of mine who has had all the iphones up until the recent one - her last one fell in the sea and died - has been adamant for 3 months now that she will replace her dead iphone with the new one.

Went with her today to the mobo shop and she got to see Samsungs and HTCs alongside the new iphone.

When we walked into the shop she was determined to have an iphone - after 30 minutes of checking out and comparing the others she realised that the iphone was in third place behind the other two. She is going to buy a Samsung now.

You wonder why AAPL is busy suing SAMSUNG nowadays..

#8 Bear Goggles

Bear Goggles

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

I bought one Apple share in 2002 when they were about $12 per share, just for a laugh really, everyone said I was an Apple fanboy and I was banging on about how tech was going to bounce back after the dotcom crash (remember that?) so I was challenged to put my money where my mouth was. I didn't have much money back then, and I didn't know much about shares. I actually overpaid, because it was bought through one of those 'buy one share' places where they send it to you through the post in a frame! I could now apparently buy an iPad with it!

Anyway, I obviously wished I'd bought more than I did, just like I wish I'd bought more gold than I have. The experience did help me get into investing, and to realise I should trust my instincts. What I actually did was invest in my own tech company, which has already paid better dividends to me than Apple*.

*Apple don't pay dividends, and I now get the latest Apple gear through work (and dividends).
Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.

#9 Bear Goggles

Bear Goggles

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

You wonder why AAPL is busy suing SAMSUNG nowadays..

Samsung now have the potential to start being able to steer and manipulate Google through its domination of the hardware Andriod users are choosing to use, it's like Microsoft and IBM in reverse.

It's difficult to remember, but Microsoft was cool once too.

Don't be evil ;)
Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.

#10 MongerOfDoom

MongerOfDoom

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:31 AM

What have Google produced ? A search engine, a browser, a mobile JVM/SDK. How many projects have they started and then binned, bet Google Plus goes the same way. It looks to me that they are struggling to diversify from search. My money is on Apple: OSX, iPhone,iPad,iPod, Safari, etc ...

Would you rather be a) without Google, or B) without Apple?

If it was not for Google, we might still all be using Altavista or Yahoo. There would be fewer billions spent on useful research such as their self driving car. We would not have a free OS for mobile devices, so it would be a choice between getting screwed by RIM, Apple, or possibly some of the now dead other contenders. Admittedly, we might have some more privacy.

Maybe someone else can explain what is so great about having Apple around. Their iOS products now have cheaper alternatives that are also more useful because they do not come with bundled abuse and contempt. You end up owning the competing hardware, so it will do whatever you tell it to as opposed to whatever Apple approves of. There is no Apple tax on the apps and in-app purchases. You can probably run Flash (if you should want to) or an interpreter for any other language you like.

I guess you cannot really beat the argument that Apple must be doing something better because their market cap is larger. But then I expect no-one would make that argument on a site devoted to discussing how the housing market can be grotesquely wrong for the best part of a decade :-)

#11 'Bart'

'Bart'

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,421 posts
  • About Me:Mad as hell

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:52 AM

When we walked into the shop she was determined to have an iphone

#12 'Bart'

'Bart'

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,421 posts
  • About Me:Mad as hell

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:12 AM

I bought one Apple share in 2002 when they were about $12 per share

Apple were staggering around the grave before Steve Jobs returned.

Aug. 6, 1997: Apple Rescued by Microsoft

1997: Steve Jobs Was Wrong and Microsoft Saved Apple

The transformation in Apple's fortunes was entirely due to Steve Jobs. And he's gone now.

Expect a slow, steady decline in Apple's fortunes.

Oh we'll get the iPhone 7 with quintuple core processors and the iPad 5s with 3D VR icons. Faster, better specs. New, improved newness.

But the force that created new markets has gone.

By new markets I mean the smartphone and tablet markets we have today.

Yes, there were smartphones and tablets before then, but no sod bought 'em!

No one was busting a gut trying to come up with the "Palm OS Treo killer".

People weren't queuing up overnight to buy the Neoware Voyager.

Apple have been here before of course, 1985 to 1997 (by which time things had gotten so bad that Microsoft had to step in).

#13 StainlessSteelCat

StainlessSteelCat

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

I wouldn't bet against Apple in the short term. I think they have another 2-5 years in them before a steady decline ensures. Essentially, they are (were with Jobs?) a large company with a start up mentality - and have been able to fight senescence that way.

Google is looking rather like a one trick pony although fair play to them for funding Android (does it make money for them yet?) The rot has already set in though. Too much of the new elements of their portfolio appeals mostly to techies rather than the average person. It's easy to see why - compare Pinterest with Plus. One is simple, easy to understand, very monetiseable and fun - the other is Google Plus.
All of my posts are a work of fiction. Any resemblance between real life entities, events or persons (living or dead) mentioned within them is purely coincidental.

Typozay Find auction spelling mistakes

#14 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,711 posts
  • About Me:Fount of wisdom, and pinnacle of taste!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

Hmm, I wish I had got Apple shares at the right time, like Forrest Gump!

Not sure how much further they can go?

Can't wait for the new iToilet, or whatever the next thing is? :o
Ignorance can be cured! Stupidity cannot!

#15 Mikhail Liebenstein

Mikhail Liebenstein

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,141 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

My money is on Google.

Posted Image

I agree - Apple's share price is behaving like a late 1990s .com share.

It's a dangerous game, but at some point there will be an opportunity to short Apple and make a lot of money.

If Apple produced oil I might get the price rising and staying there, as we'll need oil for years to come, but let's face it there is nothing particularly great about Apple's products. I have PCs (Windows and Linux) and a MacBook Air and actually both Windows 7 and Ubuntu/OpenSuse are better than OSX.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users