14 replies to this topic

#1 FLASH_2007

FLASH_2007

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

The above topic seems to be an area I have a problem with. I remember a while back on this site there was a questionnaire about personality types and many people on here were INTJ the same as myself. I was wondering if others experience the same sort of problems as myself and what you have done to try and improve.

To be honest I think when people first meet me they don't like me at all, however I am a popular person with people who have known me a long time mainly as I think it takes a long time to understand the way my I think and the reasons I do things etc. Many of my friends are people who have known me along time due to having gone to school or worked with then over a period of time.

I am the sort of person who doesn't know a lot about many subjects but the things I know about I research in a lot of detail. A main draw back is when a conversation is about a subject I know nothing about I hardly have any input at all and say very little and when the subject comes round to something I know a lot about I tend to know a lot more than the average person so its usually a case of coming across very opinionated and a bit of a know it all. Also because I think very differently from the average person things like my STR status tend to make me come across a bit strange when they don't understand the reasons behind it.

I could give numerous examples of arguments people have had with me on a subject such as house prices or something else that they know nothing about.

Edited by FLASH_2007, 07 April 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#2 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,806 posts
  • About Me:Fount of wisdom, and pinnacle of taste!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

I am the sort of person who doesn't know a lot about many subjects but the things I know about I research in a lot of detail. A main draw back is when a conversation is about a subject I know nothing about I hardly have any input at all and say very little and when the subject comes round to something I know a lot about I tend to know a lot more than the average person so its usually a case of coming across very opinionated and a bit of a know it all. Also because I think very differently from the average person things like my STR status tend to make me come across a bit strange when they don't understand the reasons behind it.

I could give numerous examples of arguments with me on a subject such as house prices or something else that they know nothing about.

You are on the path to wisdom! ;)

Many people have a LOT of opinions, on subjects of which they know nothing! :blink:
Ignorance can be cured! Stupidity cannot!

#3 GBdamo

GBdamo

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

Many people have a LOT of opinions, on subjects of which they know nothing! :blink:

:D :P
<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--> <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

#4 porca misèria

porca misèria

Porcine Aviation Enterprises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,838 posts
  • About Me:pig

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

You think so?

I couldn't possibly say. <_<

#5 okaycuckoo

okaycuckoo

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,005 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Maybe the problem is in you misperceiving how people perceive you.
The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.

#6 thod

thod

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

Nobody 'likes' INTJ's get over it. They have the warmth of crocodiles.

#7 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,806 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

It takes a long time to know who your friends are! You won't get 5000 friends out of Facebook, in a week! :unsure:

#8 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,347 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

The above topic seems to be an area I have a problem with. I remember a while back on this site there was a questionnaire about personality types and many people on here were INTJ the same as myself. I was wondering if others experience the same sort of problems as myself and what you have done to try and improve.

To be honest I think when people first meet me they don't like me at all, however I am a popular person with people who have known me a long time mainly as I think it takes a long time to understand the way my I think and the reasons I do things etc. Many of my friends are people who have known me along time due to having gone to school or worked with then over a period of time.

I could give numerous examples of arguments people have had with me on a subject such as house prices or something else that they know nothing about.

Communication skills are important in life, but don't forget that some of the best bull-sh*tters have excellent communication skills with little or no depth and integrity behind their words.

Reading your post the first thing that struck me about what you said was that you are somewhere on the scale between being shy and having low-esteem. Don't worry, an awful lot of us either live in that space, or have lived in that space, at some point in our lives.

The problem with shyness is that it leads to low self-esteem and once you lose your confidence, suffer from low self-esteem, etc, it becomes a vicious and self-fulfilling circle that is hard to break out of.

But I think you have answered your question in your post - you say that people who know you well like you and listen to what you have to say. That is wonderful.

The people who don't take time to get to know you, and whom you think dislike you, well they are probably people best avoided anyhow. If people make instant assumptions about another person without getting to know that - and we all do it almost daily in our lives - then the problem is with the person making the assumptions.

I think one of the great life lessons is learning to respect others and take the time to get to know them.

The people in your life already who know you have done this with you - and you have undoubtedly done it with them. The secret, I think, is to be careful about whom you let into your life, whom you allow to become your friends and to learn how to build an invisible protective shield around you only allowing good people in... and keeping out the numerous nutters.

You see, and I can't emphasise it enough, the problem is probably with those making instant judgements about you - why do they make such judgements? Is it only you they are making judgements about - probably not?

I have said a 1001 times on here to numerous people, go and buy 'Life Lessons' by Elisabeth Kubler Ross and David Kessler because it is a wonderful book that teaches people how to step back, look at the world and people around them, and put things into perspective.

What are the lyrics from that song... "some people enjoy putting other people down..." People who do - well, they have the problem and not you.
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#9 tinker

tinker

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

A bit too much jargon on this thread the curse of poor communication. INTJ!

#10 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,806 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

A bit too much jargon on this thread the curse of poor communication. INTJ!

I had to look it up on the Internet! :huh:

#11 FLASH_2007

FLASH_2007

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Communication skills are important in life, but don't forget that some of the best bull-sh*tters have excellent communication skills with little or no depth and integrity behind their words.

Reading your post the first thing that struck me about what you said was that you are somewhere on the scale between being shy and having low-esteem. Don't worry, an awful lot of us either live in that space, or have lived in that space, at some point in our lives.

The problem with shyness is that it leads to low self-esteem and once you lose your confidence, suffer from low self-esteem, etc, it becomes a vicious and self-fulfilling circle that is hard to break out of.

But I think you have answered your question in your post - you say that people who know you well like you and listen to what you have to say. That is wonderful.

The people who don't take time to get to know you, and whom you think dislike you, well they are probably people best avoided anyhow. If people make instant assumptions about another person without getting to know that - and we all do it almost daily in our lives - then the problem is with the person making the assumptions.

I think one of the great life lessons is learning to respect others and take the time to get to know them.

The people in your life already who know you have done this with you - and you have undoubtedly done it with them. The secret, I think, is to be careful about whom you let into your life, whom you allow to become your friends and to learn how to build an invisible protective shield around you only allowing good people in... and keeping out the numerous nutters.

You see, and I can't emphasise it enough, the problem is probably with those making instant judgements about you - why do they make such judgements? Is it only you they are making judgements about - probably not?

I have said a 1001 times on here to numerous people, go and buy 'Life Lessons' by Elisabeth Kubler Ross and David Kessler because it is a wonderful book that teaches people how to step back, look at the world and people around them, and put things into perspective.

What are the lyrics from that song... "some people enjoy putting other people down..." People who do - well, they have the problem and not you.

Good post. I think there's a lot of truth in what you've said. I will take a look at that book, it sounds very interesting.

Edited by FLASH_2007, 07 April 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#12 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,347 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

“The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassions, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.”

Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#13 erranta

erranta

Knows he doesn't know

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,716 posts
  • About Me:Too old for another mortgage

- fighting slavery and serfdom by despotic 'false' leaders of mock-democracy, their mega-corps and corporatism for the next ignorant generation

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

There are millions of Great Queen Coven members who make assumptions, physically attack, disable and Judge people without knowing the full picture

You still don't know after nearly 7 years!

You fu-cked up cultists. May God destroy you all :P

"The rich man's wealth is his strong city, and as an high wall in his own conceit." Proverbs Ch18 v.11

Whistle Blow!
You know 'IT' makes sense!

Exploitation & corrupt Government / Elite Rule? They have nowhere to hide if we all EXPOSE their corruption!

"Most propaganda is NOT designed to fool the critical thinker but only to give MORAL COWARDS an excuse not to think at all!"

#14 bewildered_renter

bewildered_renter

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

+1, a lot of good stuff in that post.

#15 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,806 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Always a big-up to Mr Tulip! ;)

And I think Erranta's pills have run out again! :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users