Bloo Loo

Ripened on the Diversity Vine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,018 posts
  • About Me:Im Bloo yabba dee yabba die.

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

It's not isolated to Southend!

I love the comment that goes into great deal of detail of how its almost impossible to permanently blind a pilot using one of these devices. He seems to miss the point somewhat....

I would think it would be almost impossible to even hit the cockpit with one, let alone the eye of the pilot....and he has two of those and two spare.
WARNING

Your
country is at risk
if you
do not keep up repayments
on a gilt or other loan secured on it

#17 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,204 posts
  • About Me:Smashing it to LibLabCon & the NIMBY's

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

Someone on my facebook a few months ago was asking who were the new strangers (foreigners) in Southend were.

Looks as though its become part of the great multicultural experiment, that we have no control over.

Edited by "Steed", 08 April 2012 - 08:58 AM.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

Ignoring ALL UKIP and 'Election' threads on HPC until further notice

#18 thod

thod

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

I have always thought it should be straightforward to build a simple anti-aircraft missile. A tube of fuel with a few sensors and fins. Certainly within the range of a hobbiest club. They could fill them with paint and launch them at jet liners like this one. Once they work, they could go after low flying RAF jets. The RAF and the million dollar missile companies would not want to be shown up by being hit by 100 missiles.

#19 Bloo Loo

Bloo Loo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,018 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

I have always thought it should be straightforward to build a simple anti-aircraft missile. A tube of fuel with a few sensors and fins. Certainly within the range of a hobbiest club. They could fill them with paint and launch them at jet liners like this one. Once they work, they could go after low flying RAF jets. The RAF and the million dollar missile companies would not want to be shown up by being hit by 100 missiles.

I built a model spitfire once out of balsa wood...I guess Im a trainee terrist.
WARNING

Your
country is at risk
if you

#20 SpewLabour

SpewLabour

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

There is a solution:
Posted Image

Don't think I can fit one of those on a Cessna 150

#21 Redcellar

Redcellar

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

I would think it would be almost impossible to even hit the cockpit with one, let alone the eye of the pilot....and he has two of those and two spare.

I thought the same, but then if you sweep it around the cockpit it would be distracting if it hits the eyes for even a split second. Who in their right mind wants to blind a pilot anyway? Would they be pleased if the plane crashed killing all on board? Complete retards. And I mean that in the true sense of the word.
Allegedly.

#22 Bloo Loo

Bloo Loo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,018 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

I thought the same, but then if you sweep it around the cockpit it would be distracting if it hits the eyes for even a split second. Who in their right mind wants to blind a pilot anyway? Would they be pleased if the plane crashed killing all on board? Complete retards. And I mean that in the true sense of the word.

is this the cockpit that is 1-5 miles away?
WARNING

Your
country is at risk
if you

#23 The Generation Game

The Generation Game

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

is this the cockpit that is 1-5 miles away?

The class 4 laser I use in my lab has no minimum safe distance. I'm guessing most of these laser pens are class 2 which I'm reasonably sure is still powerful enough to dazzle a pilot over the distance of a final approach.

#24 The Ayatollah Buggeri

The Ayatollah Buggeri

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

I was once on a KLM flight that had to take off and go around after being lasered flying over the Stockton/Yarm area on the approach to Teesside (on the second attempt it landed in the other direction, approaching over Darlington, to avoid the lasers). The pilot explained on the Tannoy that this is happening "all the time" now. When I later told my sister about it (who at the time was a scheduled airline first officer, but now flies air ambulances), she said that it was a serious and growing issue at many of Britain's regional airports. The only way to catch these thugs is with large numbers of policemen spread out over a wide area, and they are very rarely available.

Edited by The Ayatollah Buggeri, 08 April 2012 - 05:38 PM.

#25 happy_renting

happy_renting

Mildly Irritated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

You seem to have spent a while fantasising over this bizzare project.

Do you seriously think that an RAF jet would be vulnerable to such a half-baked device?

Have you any idea what the g-forces in a typical missile are as it accelerates to full speed?

#26 The Ayatollah Buggeri

The Ayatollah Buggeri

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Something that just blasts off into the air is simple and cheap enough to build, hence the reason you can buy firework rockets for a tenner. However, aiming it at anything, and especially a moving object in mid-air, with any degree of accuracy is a different kettle of fish altogether; hence the reason Saddam's scuds "only" cost around 100k each and still failed to land within 50 miles of their intended target.

#27 frozen_out

frozen_out

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,238 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

I was once on a KLM flight that had to take off and go around after being lasered flying over the Stockton/Yarm area on the approach to Teesside (on the second attempt it landed in the other direction, approaching over Darlington, to avoid the lasers).

Got to be Stockton. No one in Yarm would do such a thing. :D
The only thing they'll understand is a wall against their backs. - Paul Weller

#28 Bloo Loo

Bloo Loo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,018 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

The class 4 laser I use in my lab has no minimum safe distance. I'm guessing most of these laser pens are class 2 which I'm reasonably sure is still powerful enough to dazzle a pilot over the distance of a final approach.

pilots wear raybans.

Edited by Bloo Loo, 09 April 2012 - 09:31 AM.

WARNING

Your
country is at risk
if you

#29 Bloo Loo

Bloo Loo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,018 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Something that just blasts off into the air is simple and cheap enough to build, hence the reason you can buy firework rockets for a tenner. However, aiming it at anything, and especially a moving object in mid-air, with any degree of accuracy is a different kettle of fish altogether; hence the reason Saddam's scuds "only" cost around 100k each and still failed to land within 50 miles of their intended target.

rubbish, that was the $100m dollar patriots that did that..
WARNING

Your
country is at risk
if you

#30 Lagarde's Drift

Lagarde's Drift

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

You seem to have spent a while fantasising over this bizzare project.

Do you seriously think that an RAF jet would be vulnerable to such a half-baked device?

Have you any idea what the g-forces in a typical missile are as it accelerates to full speed?

Yeah. The low-techie would just buy an assault rifle, or indeed a machine gun and many many many crates of ammunition and hope for a low flying RAF show-off and keeping lots of fingers crossed. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users