Photo
- - - - -

Are More People Giving Unexpired Car Park Tickets To Strangers?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 juvenal

juvenal

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,525 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

I think this is on the increase. Big Society? Austerity?
'And while I live, no fool or noble knave
Shall walk this world, in credit, to his grave..'

'The pension system has been a very nice gravy train for all of those involved except for those paying into it.'

'Let's see if we can get it for the asking price..' Kirstie Allsop

"Be under no illusion. You will not escape the net..." S'rAlan Sugar

Sex, drugs and sausage rolls...

The House of Lords: 'The Ermine Vermin....'

#2 Charlie The Tramp Returns

Charlie The Tramp Returns

EU Troll Buster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts
  • About Me:Originally joined the Forum on 30 October 2003

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

I`ve paid so let them pay, do a favour for somebody but they would not do one for you most probably offer it to you cheap. <_<
I have been studying the European Economic Community which became the European Community and finally becoming the European Union since the 1st January 1973. As each year passed the stench of corruption, financial recklessness, and Dictatorship has got totally out of control.

In an interview,( on holiday in the exclusive Swiss ski resort of Davos ) the Liberal Democrat leader was asked whether he was in charge while the Prime Minister was away from Britain travelling in the Middle East. Sipping from a mug marked “Deputy Prime Minister,” he said: “Yeah, I suppose I am. I forgot about that.( Proves what a total berk he is )

Cameron must learn the basic rule in politics and life ( Put brain in gear before putting mouth in motion ) and Miliband with no direct British Lineage should dig a hole and disappear down it.

Is Nicholarse Elcleggski ( 25% British ) insane? Who, in their right mind would willingly appease the French and Germans?

In our Country today THE TRUTH MUST NEVER BE SPOKEN, I will leave you all with your very bleak future as I will be gone.

The Lib/Dems who over the years have supported the demise of the moral and accepted standards we were all brought up to respect. The party who would lead us the way of the Ancient Greek and Roman Empires. We can Add David Cameron and Ed Miliband as Leaders of their parties who are heading for the buffers

#3 Game_Over

Game_Over

I live on HPC!

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

Who the Hell pays to park?

I park in the street a couple of hundred yards from the council car park and save myself £2.00.

In my local town, the council spent over £100,000 resurfacing and installing ticket machines on what had been a free car park

and since they did this NO ONE has parked there!

They now want to set up a residents parking scheme which will cost even more money to try and force people to use their car park.

The idea of actually reducing their costs and encouraging people into the town to shop is obviously too terrible to contemplate.

:blink:

#4 Darkman

Darkman

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

Yes, I have a few times.

And a few times I've been given a ticket too.

I think there's a common feeling that parking charges at shopping malls are a rip.

#5 Ruffneck

Ruffneck

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,478 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

council really shooting themselves in the foot with the parking charges , just driving more and more people onto online shopping
“The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years. If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.”
• Kenneth Watt, Ecologist , Earth Day 1970

#6 bewildered_renter

bewildered_renter

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:31 AM

All day bus tickets too.

Here, it's £1.60 for a single journey, £3.20 gets you the whole day.

#7 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,084 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

Who the Hell pays to park?

I park in the street a couple of hundred yards from the council car park and save myself £2.00.

In my local town, the council spent over £100,000 resurfacing and installing ticket machines on what had been a free car park

and since they did this NO ONE has parked there!

They now want to set up a residents parking scheme which will cost even more money to try and force people to use their car park.

The idea of actually reducing their costs and encouraging people into the town to shop is obviously too terrible to contemplate.

:blink:

I agree with all of that, it only makes the local council look bad, greedy and unhelpful to the struggling small local businesses...it makes people resent paying the council taxes even more.....soon only the people on company expenses will be able to pay to park, knowing they will get a full refund. ;)
What you don't owe won't worry you.

Less can be more.

#8 Errol

Errol

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,783 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

I often do this. I've paid for a space for a car - not specifically my car. If I leave and there's still time on the ticket someone else can have the benefit of it.

Want to get paid for polls? Try YouGov

#9 SarahBell

SarahBell

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,966 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

We have done this many times at the local hospital where a minimum ticket is for 3 hours regardless of whether you spend 5 minutes in there having blood drawn.

(They did for a while move the blood taking bit to the walk in centre but decided the free parking there was too helpful for people so moved it back)
Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

#10 Fully Detached

Fully Detached

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

I often do this. I've paid for a space for a car - not specifically my car. If I leave and there's still time on the ticket someone else can have the benefit of it.

Legally you have paid specifically for your car, and not for the space. That said, I think the law sucks, and always offer my ticket to someone else if there is any worthwhile time left on it - it's up to them if they want to take the risk.

It might save someone couple of quid, I can't see any harm in that.
"When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank... You are a den of vipers and thieves."

- Andrew Jackson President of the US, 1829-1837 correctly noting that bankers are a bunch of *****.

"Men, it has been well said, go mad in crowds and only come to their senses slowly and one by one."

- Charles MacKay, 1856.

#11 Bossybabe

Bossybabe

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

We have done this many times at the local hospital where a minimum ticket is for 3 hours regardless of whether you spend 5 minutes in there having blood drawn.

(They did for a while move the blood taking bit to the walk in centre but decided the free parking there was too helpful for people so moved it back)

In my local hospital, it takes almost 3 hours to get blood drawn!
QUOTES:

• "This is going to hurt you much more than it will hurt me." - Bossybabe
  • "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein.
  • "This fellow is wise enough to play the fool, and to do that well craves a kind of wit. He must observe their mood on whom he jests, The quality of persons, and the time" VIOLA, Twelfth Night, William Shakespeare
  • "Oh, when she's angry, she is keen and shrewd! She was a vixen when she went to school. And though she be but little, she is fierce." - HELENA, A Midsummer Night's Dream, William Shakespeare

#12 Bossybabe

Bossybabe

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

I agree with all of that, it only makes the local council look bad, greedy and unhelpful to the struggling small local businesses...it makes people resent paying the council taxes even more.....soon only the people on company expenses will be able to pay to park, knowing they will get a full refund. ;)

Seems to me it would SAVE councils money if they got rid of car park charges and parking wardens in one fell swoop.
QUOTES:

• "This is going to hurt you much more than it will hurt me." - Bossybabe
  • "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein.
  • "This fellow is wise enough to play the fool, and to do that well craves a kind of wit. He must observe their mood on whom he jests, The quality of persons, and the time" VIOLA, Twelfth Night, William Shakespeare
  • "Oh, when she's angry, she is keen and shrewd! She was a vixen when she went to school. And though she be but little, she is fierce." - HELENA, A Midsummer Night's Dream, William Shakespeare

#13 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,084 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

Seems to me it would SAVE councils money if they got rid of car park charges and parking wardens in one fell swoop.

They should do.......one car park I know of makes you type in your car registration to get a ticket so that you can't give the unused time away...... :angry:

Edited by winkie, 07 April 2012 - 10:12 AM.

What you don't owe won't worry you.

Less can be more.

#14 ChumpusRex

ChumpusRex

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

I believe the solution was reported here:

http://www.housepric...showtopic=76969

Edited by ChumpusRex, 07 April 2012 - 10:30 AM.

Of course there have been winter gales and storms and fog and the like. But in all my experience I have never been in any accident, or any sort worth speaking about. I have seen but one vessel in distress in all my years at sea. I never saw a wreck and never have been wrecked nor was I ever in any predicament that threatened to end in disaster of any sort - Capt. Edward J Smith, Captain RMS Titanic

#15 Mr. Miyagi

Mr. Miyagi

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • About Me:Black Belt 10th Dan

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

This used to happen all the time in my little Valleys town. The council got wind of it and 'upgraded' the ticket machines so that you need to input your reg number to get a ticket :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users