5 replies to this topic

#1 shortcake

shortcake

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

So, I completed on my property last week. Prior to completing, the mortgage company did a survey and I also instructed a surveyor myself to do a homebuyers report, just to be doubly sure.

Long story short, we noticed a drain-y type smell in the living room, eminating from a cupboard. Upon closer inspection we discovered a well!! Complete with pump.

My question is, why didn't a surveyor (well, both of them!) pick this up?! And should the vendor has disclosed this?

Has anyone had any experience, or have any advice for me? I have no idea how to go forward.

Thanks in advance :)

#2 Ascii

Ascii

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

Are you sure it's not a sump?

Either way I would have expected disclosure and survey to reveal its existence.

#3 The Eagle

The Eagle

ruffling feathers on a daily basis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,071 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

My question is, why didn't a surveyor (well, both of them!) pick this up?! And should the vendor has disclosed this?

IANAL but IMHO yes and yes, the surveyors should have picked it up (but most surveyors are IMHO completely useless) and the vendor should have told you, I imagine a lawyer could help you out with this if that's how you want to proceed.
Owe no man anything but to love one another.
[Romans 13:8]
>>Thrive: What On Earth Will It Take? << - Must see movie! (click to watch on youtube)
Description from IMDB ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2063834/ ):
"An unconventional documentary that lifts the veil on what's really going on in our world by following the money upstream - uncovering the global consolidation of power in nearly every aspect of our lives. Weaving together breakthroughs in science, consciousness and activism, THRIVE offers real solutions, empowering us with unprecedented and bold strategies for reclaiming our lives and our future."

#4 shortcake

shortcake

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Thanks. What is the difference between a well and a sump?

I've had a plumber cost up how much it would be to put a manhole cover on to try and contain the smell , he called it a well but who knows.

I will speak to my solicitor, I just don't want it costing me a fortune for them to send a couple of letters out.

#5 cartimandua51

cartimandua51

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

Thanks. What is the difference between a well and a sump?

I've had a plumber cost up how much it would be to put a manhole cover on to try and contain the smell , he called it a well but who knows.

I will speak to my solicitor, I just don't want it costing me a fortune for them to send a couple of letters out.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think about 200 feet! A well goes as far down as is necessary to tap the water table (the one outside my back door never dries up, doesn't smell and goes down about that far, according to local old-boy lore. A sump, I think, is an underground cellar-type tank which drains off surplus water - bit like a septic tank and will smell unless drained properly. They are usually outside though - has the house been extended over an old yard?
Posted Image

#6 7777777

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

first i wouuld be cautious with any person who called themselves a surveyor,, many years a go i did a long course at collage,,,, on that course were mostly trades men,, and a few surveyors,, one day one of the surveyors was asked me if i could fix a burst at is home for him,,he knew the theory behind the problem,, but was unable to but it in practice,, that same person got his qualifications and is now advising people with heating or plumbing problems etc,, ,,,,, still do work for him but its only as hes to busy to do it himself always makes me smile],,, a sump is a small hole in the ground usually built in brick and around 2 feet deep inside will be an electric pump when the sump fills with water the pump starts up to pump it away,,, have you been under the floor to check,,,,,, if theres no pump it could be a drain vent unlikely

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users