29 replies to this topic

#16 Byron

Byron

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

A number of posters, including myself have had incredibly bad experiences of Santander. Do a search on the forum.

#17 Pent Up

Pent Up

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

A number of posters, including myself have had incredibly bad experiences of Santander. Do a search on the forum.

I've have a much worse opinion of Halifax. I've been with santandire for 3 years now and only experienced mild incompetence.
Remember that buying a house is a highly leveraged investment and can result in losses that exceed your initial deposit. Buying a house may not be suitable for everyone, so please ensure that you fully understand the risks involved.

"The time to buy is when blood is running in the streets" Baron Nathan Rothschild

#18 madpenguin

madpenguin

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

I've have a much worse opinion of Halifax. I've been with santandire for 3 years now and only experienced mild incompetence.

I have had lots of problems with Santander, as has my wife who has recently received 2 gift baskets from them for serious errors on her bank account.

I was talking to a Spanish colleague at work the other day who says they have just as bad a reputation in Spain.

Their UK operation has got a bit better but not much, they are the only UK bank I know who can have their ATM network down for several days in a row and not treat this as a serious problem

#19 ader

ader

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

Been with Santander since A&L takeover. Not a. single problem. So far.

#20 Nationalist

Nationalist

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

Halifax have treated me so badly in the past I told them I was minded to skip their internal complaint procedure, skip the financial services ombudsman, and go straight to the fraud squad. They created a direct debit without authority on an HSBC account of mine (possible, using something called AUDDIS) and used it to debit money I didn't owe them. If an individual did that they'd be looking at jail time.

The first call centre person I spoke to was very dismissive but as I climbed the management tree they got more and more concerned and ended up paying me some ex gratia cash - so I'm still with them. :rolleyes:

#21 Speak&Spell

Speak&Spell

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

I've been with Santander (and before that Abbey) for the past 15 years and have never had any problems banking with them. Their online banking has always worked for me, and it only took a phonecall to update 2 of my existing Santander cash ISA's to their new 2yr 4% fixed rate deal.

#22 inflating

inflating

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Not great news regarding Santander and default insurance costs
http://uk.reuters.co...E83A08F20120411

#23 Byron

Byron

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

Strange. Santander have been steadily issuing new shares since they took over A+L etc.
Their share price remained steady until recently.

#24 Bruce Banner

Bruce Banner

Targ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,481 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

Not great news regarding Santander and default insurance costs
http://uk.reuters.co...E83A08F20120411

Which is why I wouldn't put more than 85K, per person, into any bank in the current economic climate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lest there be any doubt.

No I believe prices will fall and am astounded that a so called Conservative led government could act in such a stupid way. As you can see from today, there are 2,000 HtB applicants and it has been on MSM none stop all day and they make up about 3.5% of a typical months mortgages.

BTL is a good potential way to bankruptcy and yes sometimes I make points to hopefully make people think.

#25 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,713 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

Which is why I wouldn't put more than 85K, per person, into any bank in the current economic climate.

If a big one went down could it be like this?

Where are you going to keep moving your 85k's?

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#26 Bruce Banner

Bruce Banner

Targ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,481 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

If a big one went down could it be like this?

Where are you going to keep moving your 85k's?

Just leave them in the various banks. As I just said in another thread, in my opinion, HMG would print whatever money is necessary to pay all the 85Ks which would, of course, devalue Sterling, but that's another matter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lest there be any doubt.

No I believe prices will fall and am astounded that a so called Conservative led government could act in such a stupid way. As you can see from today, there are 2,000 HtB applicants and it has been on MSM none stop all day and they make up about 3.5% of a typical months mortgages.

BTL is a good potential way to bankruptcy and yes sometimes I make points to hopefully make people think.

#27 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,713 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

Just leave them in the various banks. As I just said in another thread, in my opinion, HMG would print whatever money is necessary to pay all the 85Ks which would, of course, devalue Sterling, but that's another matter.

It's not really "another matter" though is it? In your HMG printing scenario, if you are putting your money within FSCS limits to keep it safe but you only get devalued pounds, it wasn't safe after all was it? Every 10% devaluation reduces the 85k by 10%?

I'm not suggesting instead using the money to buy a UK house (as often said on here) because that would be demoninated in the devalued currency.

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#28 Bruce Banner

Bruce Banner

Targ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,481 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

It's not really "another matter" though is it? In your HMG printing scenario, if you are putting your money within FSCS limits to keep it safe but you only get devalued pounds, it wasn't safe after all was it? Every 10% devaluation reduces the 85k by 10%?

I'm not suggesting instead using the money to buy a UK house (as often said on here) because that would be demoninated in the devalued currency.

It is another matter as far as which banks to keep the 85Ks in is concerned.

With regard to the value of Sterling, one could go round the bend trying to anticipate every possible eventuality, so I keep liquid funds in more than one currency and am prepared to act, in whatever way I see fit, as and when required.

Lest there be any doubt.

#29 juvenal

juvenal

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,481 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

My son failed to get them to open an ISA in time to catch last years allowance, despite applying well in advance. Their total incompetence caused the problem.. But he came out of it with something, as per their communication below. Anyone else been on the end of their largesse?

Due to the delay in opening your ISA account in the previous tax year we will be crediting your new account with a one off payment of 272.54 as a goodwill gesture. This amount is the equivalent of 1% interest on a fully funded 2011/12 cash ISA account balance over a 5 year period. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

I've encountered both very good, and awful customer service from them over the years, to be fair...
'And while I live, no fool or noble knave
Shall walk this world, in credit, to his grave..'

'The pension system has been a very nice gravy train for all of those involved except for those paying into it.'

'Let's see if we can get it for the asking price..' Kirstie Allsop

"Be under no illusion. You will not escape the net..." S'rAlan Sugar

Sex, drugs and sausage rolls...

The House of Lords: 'The Ermine Vermin....'

#30 Phil S

Phil S

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

My son failed to get them to open an ISA in time to catch last years allowance, despite applying well in advance. Their total incompetence caused the problem.. But he came out of it with something, as per their communication below. Anyone else been on the end of their largesse?

Due to the delay in opening your ISA account in the previous tax year we will be crediting your new account with a one off payment of 272.54 as a goodwill gesture. This amount is the equivalent of 1% interest on a fully funded 2011/12 cash ISA account balance over a 5 year period. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

I've encountered both very good, and awful customer service from them over the years, to be fair...

I am considering the major ISA. What's the latest opinion on Santander?

I understand that their british arm has ring fenced funding - is this true??

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users