House Price Crash Forum

How Much Is Your Weekly Food Shopping Bill?

Darkman

HOLA441

One man and his dog, £15 to £20 a week, always used to congratulate myself if i could keep it under a tenner, but good old inflation has put pay to that, another thing i have noticed is the former food snobs have alot more cheap brands in their baskets these days :rolleyes:

Yes in Lidl the shoppers use M&S and Sainsbury bags wink.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Yes in Lidl the shoppers use M&S and Sainsbury bags wink.gif

you can always spot those shoppers, I like to drop a little something extra in their trolley's for them when I get chance - usually when they leave it in the middle of an aisle in my way whilst they look for something :)

Must be annoying when they get home and realise they have something they didnt want but not half as annoying as when they realise that I liberated their cheese or milk lol

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I'm starting to think we're spending too much after reading these posts. I didn't even include eating out, which probably adds at least £10 per week minimum.

My wife chucks in a lot of ready meals for lunch, and I suspect they are the culprit. But being American, she has a different approach to food generally. Dunno :ph34r:

HOLA446

I'm starting to think we're spending too much after reading these posts. I didn't even include eating out, which probably adds at least £10 per week minimum.

My wife chucks in a lot of ready meals for lunch, and I suspect they are the culprit. But being American, she has a different approach to food generally. Dunno :ph34r:

If it makes you feel any better the wife and I seem to spend £70+, although I'm hoping that this typically lasts more than 7 days. This includes no alcohol or ready meals.

People on here talk about fresh food being cheaper than ready meals but I don't see it personally. Added to that, we've discussed buying our meat from the local butcher (so add a few quid more) because the supermarket meat we buy is of questionable quality.

Speaking to my mother earlier, she was saying that a couple of years ago food was typically ~ £1 per item on average. Now it's more like £1.50!

HOLA447
HOLA448

People on here talk about fresh food being cheaper than ready meals but I don't see it personally. Added to that, we've discussed buying our meat from the local butcher (so add a few quid more) because the supermarket meat we buy is of questionable quality.

No not always, but I can fill two of those woven plastic bags with veg from the market for about £20 (for both, not each) and they'll see us through a week and beyond. There's that much that the missus can't carry them, probably 10-15kgs per bag,

Some veg it's better to pick and choose. If I were using broccoli for a soup I would buy frozen, but for veg as a meal then fresh. From the market though it's better quality, lasts longer and is cheaper than supermarkets and I can do the shop in 5 minutes, same with the market butcher. We do have a very good market here though, quite big and well frequented so lots of turnover of stock.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Picked up a bottle of Chilean Merlot from Lidl on the way back from town. £3.99. Will sample that later rolleyes.gif

Pretty much the same as sold in local shops for £1-£2 more.

I bought a box of half a dozen bottles of Bordeaux Red on special offer, €9 a box, at the local 'Super-U' the week before last, very drinkable after the first glass :D.

HOLA4417

I bought a box of half a dozen bottles of Bordeaux Red on special offer, €9 a box, at the local 'Super-U' the week before last, very drinkable after the first glass :D.

That's the problem. You can get some cheap stuff at Lidl but they lack the range. Thus you end up going to a second supermarket to pick up other bits. I find L'Clerc a bit cheaper than Super-U and Carrefour a bit more expensive.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Usually good for two days; after that cooking

It was a joke,maybe I should have used a smilie. With the amount of sulphites in modern wine they'll easily last 4 days if not a week if corked adequately.

Scotch on the other hand goes off overnight, you have to finish it in one sitting. :P

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

That's easy. £0.00.

The only decent sum for any able-bodied person.

with the amount of liquor i buy i wouldn't fancy carting it back on a bike. not bothered about the weight but some of the less savoury neigbourhoods i'd have to pass through would see the trailer empty by the time i got home!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

fail

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/apr/04/asa-bans-sainsburys-advertising-campaign?newsfeed=true

Sainsbury's 'feed your family for £50' ads bannedASA says meal plans failed to provide enough calories and cost more than advertised

£50 over what period of time?

You could feed a large family for £50/month. But not on the kind of foods I'd expect to see featured in an ad. campaign.

Archived