Photo
- - - - -

How Much Is Your Weekly Food Shopping Bill?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#16 Number79

Number79

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

On food and drink around £130 per week for four of us. Shop at Waitrose as unfortunately I can tell the difference now between ok food/wine and good food/wine which is a handicap in some ways. Ignorance is bliss particularly when it comes to wine. I used to be happy on a £8 bottle of wine and when I was educated on the differences of more expensive wine I now have to buy that stuff.

Educated? I wouldnt waste your money. There is pretty much no difference between any reasonable bottle of wine between £5 and £50. If you want to taste the real difference then you have to open your wallet and you aint gonna find anything worth spending that amount on in waitrose.

#17 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,222 posts
  • About Me:Fount of wisdom, and pinnacle of taste!

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

Educated? I wouldnt waste your money. There is pretty much no difference between any reasonable bottle of wine between £5 and £50. If you want to taste the real difference then you have to open your wallet and you aint gonna find anything worth spending that amount on in waitrose.

I just look for the per-centage! 13.5% is good! ;)
Ignorance can be cured! Stupidity cannot!

#18 yellerkat

yellerkat

Meh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,179 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

Lidl beer is good too. For a tinned beer Grafenwalder Pils is very good and they do a bottled beer in cardboard six packs (name escapes me but big bottles, not stubbies and begins with P I think) which is very good. Being German beers they're brewed to the Rheinheitsgebot (or an expanded version of the same medieval regulations) .

Far better than any mass produced beers you get here; certainly on a par with bottled beer here and about 2/3 of the price.

Perlenbacher - worth going out of your way for!

Posted Image

#19 porca misèria

porca misèria

Porcine Aviation Enterprises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,175 posts
  • About Me:pig

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

Wines sold at lidl are regularly winning awards, take their tarragona reserve for example

I recollect getting a bottle as prize at a pub quiz. The small-print on the label identified it as coming from Lidl. Drinking it turned out to be a very pleasant surprise!

I try to buy as much of my wine as possible when our Morrisons has "half-price" offers (they're our only local shop with more than a very small range). With essentially-unlimited shelf life it's easy to buy when cheap and drink when wanted.

#20 porca misèria

porca misèria

Porcine Aviation Enterprises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,175 posts
  • About Me:pig

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

I just look for the per-centage! 13.5% is good! ;)

Whereas I usually avoid anything over 13%, though there are a few reds above that that are really nice.

#21 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,574 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

£50 for 2 people inc a couple of bottles of wine.

Switching from Tesco/Morrison to Lidl has deflated the inflation.

Anyone inc cigs in their shopping total? (don't smoke)

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#22 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,941 posts
  • About Me:Vote LABOURTORY. You have no choice!

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Picked up a bottle of Chilean Merlot from Lidl on the way back from town. £3.99. Will sample that later Posted Image

Pretty much the same as sold in local shops for £1-£2 more.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#23 Ascii

Ascii

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

Perlenbacher - worth going out of your way for!

That's the one. I frequently did go out of my way for it.

I'm off the sauce until June (felt I needed a dry period) but I'll be back to Lidl when the time comes.

#24 Ascii

Ascii

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

Picked up a bottle of Chilean Merlot from Lidl on the way back from town. £3.99. Will sample that later Posted Image

Pretty much the same as sold in local shops for £1-£2 more.

I've had that many times before, perfectly enjoyable.

#25 Ungeared

Ungeared

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • About Me:Let us be thankful for the fools; but for them the rest of us could not succeed.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

One man and his dog, £15 to £20 a week, always used to congratulate myself if i could keep it under a tenner, but good old inflation has put pay to that, another thing i have noticed is the former food snobs have alot more cheap brands in their baskets these days :rolleyes:
The unrest in London is a form of hooliganism by losers who are living in a society which no longer has anything left to offer losers

#26 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,941 posts
  • About Me:Vote LABOURTORY. You have no choice!

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

One man and his dog, £15 to £20 a week, always used to congratulate myself if i could keep it under a tenner, but good old inflation has put pay to that, another thing i have noticed is the former food snobs have alot more cheap brands in their baskets these days :rolleyes:

Yes in Lidl the shoppers use M&S and Sainsbury bags Posted Image

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#27 Number79

Number79

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Yes in Lidl the shoppers use M&S and Sainsbury bags Posted Image

you can always spot those shoppers, I like to drop a little something extra in their trolley's for them when I get chance - usually when they leave it in the middle of an aisle in my way whilst they look for something :)

Must be annoying when they get home and realise they have something they didnt want but not half as annoying as when they realise that I liberated their cheese or milk lol

#28 bearwithasorehead

bearwithasorehead

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

60-70 quid. family of four. Two little-uns have some treats. Includes one bottle of wine and packed lunches. Lots of cooking and freezing.

#29 Scunnered

Scunnered

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

60-70 quid. family of four. Two little-uns have some treats. Includes one bottle of wine and packed lunches. Lots of cooking and freezing.

How things have changed since I was a child ...
A man, a map, a canal. Anacapamanama!

#30 Darkman

Darkman

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

I'm starting to think we're spending too much after reading these posts. I didn't even include eating out, which probably adds at least £10 per week minimum.

My wife chucks in a lot of ready meals for lunch, and I suspect they are the culprit. But being American, she has a different approach to food generally. Dunno :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users