9 replies to this topic

#1 notnow

notnow

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

Is it just the classic over supply in the last few years or what? I lived in Worcester 5 years ago and they were like hens teeth. Are landlords having a lousy time?
Many thanks for any input.

#2 Russe11

Russe11

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

single under 35 drop in housing benefit

#3 long time lurking

long time lurking

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

single under 35 drop in housing benefit

Yep thats the reason ,they have been bailing out in mass around my way ,catching a falling knife comes to mind

The price gap between 1 and 2 bed place`s is at a embarrassing level now

#4 notnow

notnow

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

Thanks to you both for your replies.
I suppose this explains the thousands of 1 bed flats for sale countrywide now. As you say, falling knife comes to mind. I do wonder just how long anybody could stay sane living in one of these. Even if it comes at the right price, a shoebox is still a shoebox.
Do you have any examples of typical worcester 1 bed flats that were built pre crash having fallen price wise over the years? Rightmove ads often do not give addresses of buildings, but I suppose that is to make it harder looking them up on Mouseprice or similar.
Thanks once again

#5 long time lurking

long time lurking

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

Thanks to you both for your replies.
I suppose this explains the thousands of 1 bed flats for sale countrywide now. As you say, falling knife comes to mind. I do wonder just how long anybody could stay sane living in one of these. Even if it comes at the right price, a shoebox is still a shoebox.
Do you have any examples of typical worcester 1 bed flats that were built pre crash having fallen price wise over the years? Rightmove ads often do not give addresses of buildings, but I suppose that is to make it harder looking them up on Mouseprice or similar.
Thanks once again

http://www.mouseprice.com/ Just put in the post code of the place`s you are looking at it will list sold prices from the land registry ,there can be a 3 month lag if you are looking for recently sold places and I don`t think it includes repossessions sold at auction

#6 Superted187

Superted187

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:44 AM

Hi guys

I'm moving to Worcester in August with my gf. We live in Reading at the mo but have had enough of paying through the nose for largely poor quality accommodation.

We'll be renting a 2 or 3 bed place initially. We've been looking at it looks like there are a lot of rentals being offered, with a few even looking empty. This is completely opposite to the situation we're used to seeing.

Do you guys know if it quite easy for renters to get a goodish deal at the mo?

#7 Lacuna

Lacuna

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

Superted- I wouldn't necessarily say there are good deals in Worcester. There's a fair bit of ropey old housing stock with BTL landlords trying to rip off tenants. Plus there are hardly any private lets. Best agent in Worcester is Hills and the worst by a mile is premier places (I know lots of people who have rented from them and no one has had even an ok service).

Worcester is like anywhere it's all about location, so to give you an idea, there is cheap accommodation to be found up the Tolladine road, round Wyld's Lane and the Arboretum these areas equate to Cemy Junction or the Oxford Rd in Reading. The nearest place that equates to Caversham would be Hallow or the area between the Tything and the racecourse. Most of the rental places seem to either be flats that are overpriced in the city centre or in the dodgier areas, the nicer the area the less rental properties. Diglis is a new development by the Severn and parts of it are ok and there is a massive newish estate in Warndon villages that is a bit souless but is handy for the motorway.

Hope this helps. I have lived in both places so if you want more info post here.

#8 Superted187

Superted187

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

Superted- I wouldn't necessarily say there are good deals in Worcester. There's a fair bit of ropey old housing stock with BTL landlords trying to rip off tenants. Plus there are hardly any private lets. Best agent in Worcester is Hills and the worst by a mile is premier places (I know lots of people who have rented from them and no one has had even an ok service).

Worcester is like anywhere it's all about location, so to give you an idea, there is cheap accommodation to be found up the Tolladine road, round Wyld's Lane and the Arboretum these areas equate to Cemy Junction or the Oxford Rd in Reading. The nearest place that equates to Caversham would be Hallow or the area between the Tything and the racecourse. Most of the rental places seem to either be flats that are overpriced in the city centre or in the dodgier areas, the nicer the area the less rental properties. Diglis is a new development by the Severn and parts of it are ok and there is a massive newish estate in Warndon villages that is a bit souless but is handy for the motorway.

Hope this helps. I have lived in both places so if you want more info post here.

Hi Lacuna

Thanks for the reply :)

We've got the move all sorted now. And we did find it was a VERY different experience to renting in Reading. We:
* Had no viewings cancelled on us
* Found there was lots of choice
* Found it to be massively cheaper than Reading
* Got the first place we made an offer on
* Had an offer for less than the asking accepted

We're moving into the K2 building on Sunday. Really nice flat and we want to live in a city centre for at least a year. We currently live in Caversham.

What gets me about Worcester is that there is actually a fair bit of new accommodation. You get sod all new accommodation in Reading, and if it's half decent, it's very expensive.

We'll be paying 750 pcm. This is the same as what we're paying now, but we get a lot less for that. (Smaller, less bedrooms, less bathrooms, little natural light, little privacy, and I can hear the people upstairs talking to their pets)

We've also gone through Taylors. They've been ok so far but you never know until you actually move out!

#9 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,107 posts
  • About Me:Smashing it to LibLabCon & the NIMBY's

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

I used to live in Worcestershire and lived in Droitwich and used to commute to Malvern. The Worcester ring road was a nightmare being single lane. Don't know if this has improved (this is over ten years ago now). Had a tiny one bed and rented from Simply Lets in Worcester who seem to have expanded somewhat. No issues. Think that was around 350 a month even back then. Don't think rents have moved much.

Edited by Socially Housed, 30 July 2012 - 03:47 PM.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

Ignoring ALL UKIP and 'Election' threads on HPC until further notice

#10 SarahBell

SarahBell

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,108 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

I used to live in Worcestershire and lived in Droitwich and used to commute to Malvern. The Worcester ring road was a nightmare being single lane. Don't know if this has improved (this is over ten years ago now). Had a tiny one bed and rented from Simply Lets in Worcester who seem to have expanded somewhat. No issues. Think that was around 350 a month even back then. Don't think rents have moved much.

The bit from the M5 across to St Peters is a bloody nightmare. Don't take the left turn lane. Ignore that and rush down to the roundabout and turn left.
The traffic in the left only lane has to give way to the proper roundabout.

Then go in the right hand lane down the hill (when it opens up into two lanes) and turn whatever way you want at the roundabout. The poor mugs sat in that queue can't do anything about that either.
Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users