• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,759 posts
  • About Me:Fount of wisdom, and pinnacle of taste!

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

I think the Government are finding out, rather late, what a "free market" is, and they don't like it! :unsure:
Ignorance can be cured! Stupidity cannot!

#17 hotairmail

hotairmail

Tired of life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,284 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

In theory it's 14% risk averted for banks 5% FTB, 3.5% builder indemnity and 5.5% government indemnity
http://www.communiti...y/newbuyglance/

So 86k risk per 100k loaned

However if the builder puts their 3.5% on to the price it's only 11% risk averted. It has to be disappointing for bankers when the council firstbuy scheme averts 25% for them.

Maybe the bankers are not favouring smaller builders as much because if things go wrong with the larger ones they have better landbanks and the can always take equity as part payment for failing loans?

I think you'll find that these days, every single site is a separate limited company.

That way, the builders argue, the entire company is not destroyed by downturns affecting individual sites.

Or, I would argue, it is another case of the limited liability laws being misused - so that profits can be extracted and losses taken by someone else.

"The chicken is radiating disorder out into the wider universe."

#18 wonderpup

wonderpup

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,850 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

Clearly the building trade did not donate enough money to buy them a premier league bailout scheme.

#19 okaycuckoo

okaycuckoo

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

I think many people have serious cognitive dissonance when it comes to MEW. They think the money they are spending came from the house, as if fivers started sliding out from between the bricks, when of course the money came from the lender who added it onto the mortgage.

I likes it!

Kind of creepy ...

#20 beccles

beccles

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

I only have a small part of my accumulated equity tied up in property and none of that property is a house, or even a flat :D.

Thanks for that bit of info Posted Image

Is there anyway on this forum to put people on ignore? I reckon I've read about BB savings pot about 200 times. Posted Image

Edited by beccles, 30 March 2012 - 10:44 PM.

#21 Shaneyson

Shaneyson

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

Is there anyway on this forum to put people on ignore? I reckon I've read about BB savings pot about 200 times. Posted Image

You are exaggerating, more like 500. Have some compassion though, because must be difficult to have loads of money whilst remaining so modest all the time.
TWITTER JOIN & FOLLOW EACH OTHER
MY TWITTER FEED

#22 bmf

bmf

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

+1MM

#23 ader

ader

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

There's a planned site for a bunch of new houses near me. 5 bed detached asking price 275k on rightmove. None built yet.

But propertyBee shows one sold in 2009 for 200k I wonder why no-one is interested at the new price and if they'll ever get built...

#24 Venger

Venger

HPC Great Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Here is Stewart Baseley's letter to Home Builders Federation in full.

http://www.telegraph...eys-letter.html

New Buy ?

Clicking on the large banner which appears on the Rightmove main page much of the time, their schemes are called FirstBuy (government scheme) and HomeBuy (UK Government). Now this New Buy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

They don't seem able to decide what to call it. They probably don't care. Just baffle mug first time buyers with jargony confusing schemes to make it look like you're helping them, whilst all the time helping the building buddies.

There's a map of the UK with regions these homes are in. Most of them look very unappealing. Jon Snow is right we need lots of new building, but not homes like these, nor through schemes where land and the build is a lot more expensive for the buyer because these 'buying help' schemes exist.

#25 MrB

MrB

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Here is Stewart Baseley's letter to Home Builders Federation in full.

http://www.telegraph...eys-letter.html

New Buy ?

Clicking on the large banner which appears on the Rightmove main page much of the time, their schemes are called FirstBuy (government scheme) and HomeBuy (UK Government). Now this New Buy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

They don't seem able to decide what to call it. They probably don't care. Just baffle mug first time buyers with jargony confusing schemes to make it look like you're helping them, whilst all the time helping the building buddies.

There's a map of the UK with regions these homes are in. Most of them look very unappealing. Jon Snow is right we need lots of new building, but not homes like these, nor through schemes where land and the build is a lot more expensive for the buyer because these 'buying help' schemes exist.

New Buy
First Buy
Home Buy.

I've got a name for a scheme:

Don't ******ing Buy (Rent Instead)
1. Get up
2. Have a piss
3. Go to work
4. Get back from work

5. Read HPC
6. Watch The Bill
7. Go to bed

Stages 1-4 will happen between 7am and 5.30pm. Stage 5 is happening now. Stage 6 & 7 could happen anytime soon. Protect yourselves: buy an overpriced house!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users