14 replies to this topic

#1 SHERWICK

SHERWICK

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,519 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

As some of you know, I cancelled Sky back in Feb. So here I was with the afternoon off today and, instead of enjoying the lovely weather, I settled down in front of my laptop to watch the final 2 episodes of Magnum P.I. Now, although I was a regular MPI watcher back in the 80s, I never got to see the final 2 episodes screened some time in 1988 (probably because back in 1988 I was in my early 20s and out on the lash most evenings :D ).

Anyway, what great fun it was!!! I've got to admit I loved 80s TV back then, though I hardly watch TV these days....

Edited by SHERWICK, 28 March 2012 - 12:08 AM.

The mighty neo liberal steam roller that crushed all before it from the 1980s to the beginning of the new millennium has morphed in recent years into a Charlie Carioli clown car that now can not go two yards without loud bangs, smoke pouring out of the engine and the doors dropping off. (by stormymonday_2011, posted amidst the Barclays Libor crisis on 02/07/2012)

Polster: why did you vote labour?
Labour voter: because I hate Margaret Thatcher
Polster: how old were you when she left Downing st?
Labour voter: 3
(by Robo1968, posted 10/05/2010)

From BBC HYS 15/05/2009:
"Last year, my MP's second home claim was 5,000 more than my total salary and now I find out that he's trying to charge me for cleaning his swimming pool!"

"Whatever your argument it's wrong." bendy, 21/02/2014

#2 The Eagle

The Eagle

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

As some of you know, I cancelled Sky back in Feb. So here I was with the afternoon off today and, instead of enjoying the lovely weather, I settled down in front of my laptop to watch the final 2 episodes of Magnum P.I. Now, although I was a regular MPI watcher back in the 80s, I never got to see the final 2 episodes screened some time in 1988 (probably because back in 1988 I was in my early 20s and out on the lash most evenings :D ).

Anyway, what great fun it was!!! I've got to admit I loved 80s TV back then, though I hardly watch it these days....

I watched all episodes from all seasons (DVD boxset) a couple of years ago, it certainly was great fun, they don't do TV series like this anymore.

Another one I watched recently was The Rockford Files, it's vaguely similar to Magnum P.I. and almost as much fun.
Owe no man anything but to love one another.
[Romans 13:8]
>>Thrive: What On Earth Will It Take? << - Must see movie! (click to watch on youtube)
Description from IMDB ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2063834/ ):
"An unconventional documentary that lifts the veil on what's really going on in our world by following the money upstream - uncovering the global consolidation of power in nearly every aspect of our lives. Weaving together breakthroughs in science, consciousness and activism, THRIVE offers real solutions, empowering us with unprecedented and bold strategies for reclaiming our lives and our future."

#3 funinhounslow

funinhounslow

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

I would out Hawaii 5-0 in the same camp. And what was that weird one with the bloke living in a caravan outside his half-built house? And it's not Alan Partridge...

Eta it was Petrocelli. Haven't seen it for ages and I wonder if it's stood the test of time...

Edited by funinhounslow, 27 March 2012 - 10:54 PM.

#4 SHERWICK

SHERWICK

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,519 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

I watched all episodes from all seasons (DVD boxset) a couple of years ago, it certainly was great fun, they don't do TV series like this anymore.

Another one I watched recently was The Rockford Files, it's vaguely similar to Magnum P.I. and almost as much fun.

Yep, Rockford Files was another great one... apparently Tom Selleck appeared in a few episodes of that too.. as a private investigator!
The mighty neo liberal steam roller that crushed all before it from the 1980s to the beginning of the new millennium has morphed in recent years into a Charlie Carioli clown car that now can not go two yards without loud bangs, smoke pouring out of the engine and the doors dropping off. (by stormymonday_2011, posted amidst the Barclays Libor crisis on 02/07/2012)

From BBC HYS 15/05/2009:
"Last year, my MP's second home claim was 5,000 more than my total salary and now I find out that he's trying to charge me for cleaning his swimming pool!"

#5 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,104 posts
  • About Me:Smashing it to LibLabCon & the NIMBY's

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:55 AM

Dallas is returning again soon, with some of the original cast.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

Ignoring ALL UKIP and 'Election' threads on HPC until further notice

#6 SHERWICK

SHERWICK

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,519 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:37 AM

Dallas is returning again soon, with some of the original cast.

Amazing! Bring 'em all back I say!

Life was so much simpler then. For example, take a look at a selection of headlines from the Main Forum - back in the 80s I would have had no clue about any of them and ignorance was BLISS!!

Government To Sell 1/3 Of Rbs To Abu Dhabi - WOULDN'T HAVE CARED!

Briton's Are "19 Years Behind Life Goals" - AGAIN, COULDN'T HAVE GIVEN A T0SS.

Merv (Fpc) Advises Osborne Doesn't Want 'directed' Ltv Or Lti (Income) - GOOBLEDIGOOK TO ME.

National Planning Policy Framework 1 2 - WTF???!?

S&p/case-Shiller Monthly - QUE???

Unfortunately, today, all those topics make perfect sense to me!

From BBC HYS 15/05/2009:

#7 Big Orange

Big Orange

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

From the late 1990s I really liked Season 2 of Stargate SG-1, which I saw fairly recently on DVD.

#8 funinhounslow

funinhounslow

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

The only way to test it is to have a wavy line "flashback".

Great clip, thanks. I was quite getting into that, must try and track it down on DVD...

#9 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,104 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

The only way to test it is to have a wavy line "flashback".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckEFeNb-h-8

Cannon... A Quinn Martin Production !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGJ82yhdMqk

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#10 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,104 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

This was a particular favourite and it was recently being shown on a loop on one the ITV digital channels:

#11 PunK BeaR

PunK BeaR

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

Some great old shows. This one was probably my fav when i was growing up. All the episodes are available on DVD

#12 Dave Beans

Dave Beans

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,177 posts
  • About Me:Groping The Sands Of Time

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

Good to see Tom Selleck still making personal appearances..

Posted Image

I loved Airwolf & Streethawk...
"Wont someone please think of the children"

The Sad Faces Of Wronged Mail Readers

Eurocleese De Zouch

#13 pl1

pl1

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

yadyadaofftopicyadayeeyadayah

(probably because back in 1988 I was in my early 20s and out on the lash most evenings :D ).

You were that man on Hit Man & Her in the blond wig & I claim my free drink.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298662/

All free movement of labour between countries with vastly disparate GDP's means, is that the labour gravitates to the country paying the highest relative wage; and it was always ever thus.

#14 nmarks

nmarks

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

There isn't a lot of contemporary stuff I'll watch.

QI, Horizon, Through The Worm Hole, Top Gear. The quality of BBC Four is way above average, but the rest, especially the reality and lifestyle shows, you can keep.

One contemporary show I do like is Suits. This got a lot of promotion and in my opinion desevedly so. It has the feel of one of those classic 70's or 80's series but in a modern context.

Missed a couple of episodes, which I regret now, but hopefully they will repeat. This show has been worth watching,
The 25 Most Dangerous People In Financial Media

There are some things that men must do in order that they remain as men.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove in court. Didn't you tell me that once?

It is the duty of all good men to nurture the seed of self-destruction that lies at the core of every evil.

The biggest delusion that humans suffer is to abrogate their powers to others then expect something other than despair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users