• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,088 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

http://www.dailymail...ubject-VAT.html

Confusion over which 'hot' foods will be liable for VAT
Bread not subject to the 20 per cent rise
But bakers argue there is no exact definition of bread

George Osborne's budget has left the taxman scratching his head after it prompted HM Revenue and Customs to launch a public consultation to discover the exact definition of bread.

Last week the chancellor announced VAT of 20 per cent will be extended to all hot takeaway foods such as pasties and pies which are ‘above the ambient air temperature at the time they are provided to the customer’.

However, as bread is considered a basic food, it is not subject to VAT whether it is warmed in the oven or served cold.

But bakers have pointed out there is no exact definition of bread.

For example, is a croissant considered a type of bread? Or a hot-cross bun?

:lol: :lol:

Brilliant.

At least HMRC can now have endless meetings at taxpayer expense deciding just what exactly bread is.

This could get very tricky because if bread is excluded aren't pizza bases bread?

Posted Image
Proof that Brown had repeated IMF / OECD / BIS warnings over house prices and did nothing!!!
Looting: The Economic Underworld Of Bankruptcy For Profit
The exponential growth of debt and the unsustainability of debt
The logic of HPI @ 10% YoY means your £100k house would be worth £1.38bn in 100 years
Paying down my mortgage with money found on the street

It's time to sue the Bank of England / Federal Reserve for GROSS NEGLIGENCE
If DEBT is the problem REPAYMENT is the solution or you default

"Northern unemployment is an acceptable price to pay for curbing southern inflation" Eddie George former Governor of the Bank of England

New digest on the credit crisis and economy Part2 Part 3

Posted Image

#2 gf3

gf3

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Brilliant.

At least HMRC can now have endless meetings at taxpayer expense deciding just what exactly bread is.

This could get very tricky because if bread is excluded aren't pizza bases bread?

Posted Image

So what happens if you buy a cold pie but there is free use of a microwave?

next time I buy a pizza I will ask for it uncooked and then ask if I can borrow their oven.

#3 South Lorne

South Lorne

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,030 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

Brilliant.

Posted Image

...'course...pizza is just cheese on toast..with tomato and other bits'n pieces added...why of course...Marie Antoinette defined cake as bread... :rolleyes:
The market goes up. The market goes down. It is all about timing. (unless it's rigged)

#4 the gardener

the gardener

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

flour
salt
yeast
sugar

You don't need the sugar or the salt.

You do need water however.

#5 Self Employed Youth

Self Employed Youth

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

Would be nice if the state education system ensured 100% of people upon the age of 18 (or after a period of 1 year for immigrants), could define 'money' and 'currency'.

33% of them attending the local establisment might get 5 A*-Cs at GCSE, but it seldom explains who is able and who is not.

The state can't define bread.  Will they tax the 'Chorleywood process'?

Be nice if they could define beer/alcohol! If I sold somebody a pint can containing two plastic sachets of water and beer to mix could I qualify for a lower rate of DUTY? People afterall could carry out reflux or freeze distillation... The separate ingredients often come mixed.
M/UST you sell them pre-mixed?

Edited by Seasonally Employed Youth, 25 March 2012 - 08:05 PM.

Have I not reason to lament what man has mas made of man?

Initially 'Unemployed Youth'
Then 'Formerly Unemployed Youth'
Then 'Unemployed Again Youth'
Hopefully soon to be 'Employed Again Youth' and not long after that I'll be eligible for working tax credits, if not I'll at least get adult rate dole and maybe car insurance will be potentially affordable!

#6 Nationalist

Nationalist

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

So, can anything be made VAT free just by baking it into a loaf of bread? Diamond encrusted loaves might sell well.... :lol:

#7 witsended

witsended

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

flour
salt
yeast
sugar

That also covers piklets, crumpets and most drop scones. But soda bread and varients don't use yeast along with many forms of flat bread.
Then if you add fruit does it become a cake and is Matza a biscuit ?

#8 mightytharg

mightytharg

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

Now I'm wondering about pasties and cakes.

When they take the tray of cakes out of the oven, they'll have VAT on them, but if you wait half an hour the sames cake will be VAT-free???

Some sort of ban on fresh tasty food or a subsidy for stale rubbish.

Are the government mad?

These will be selling like cold cakes.

#9 Monkey

Monkey

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

When they take the tray of cakes out of the oven, they'll have VAT on them, but if you wait half an hour the sames cake will be VAT-free???

Are the government mad?

there is going to be very clever ways round the tax i think over the next 6 months. its a stupid TAX if you ask me, how is it going to be 100% regulated?

#10 7 Year Itch

7 Year Itch

My member's title is Rodney.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,857 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

I've been wondering about the impact on someone like Greggs? Do they already charge VAT or will they have to?

There is no ladder.

JY

No need to sell up, the next phase of the economics cycle is going to be very positive for anyone that owns property.

All I'm sayings is, don't listen to the property bears people, they are wrong.

#11 witsended

witsended

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

I've been wondering about the impact on someone like Greggs? Do they already charge VAT or will they have to?

Greggs' lost £30 million off the share price and are now threatening to take the government to court.

Gideons attack on a successful and expanding British company, is a clear indication that him and Davey knows nothing of either Greggs' place on the high street, or its place in millions of lunch breaks. Don't do shopping.

#12 Son of Taeper

Son of Taeper

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

You don't need the sugar or the salt.

You do need water however.

And you don't need the yeast for that matter either.
The views expressed in my posts are my own based upon what I read on other information supplied by other HPC members.
These should not be used a a definitive answer to any posts I attempt to answer.

#13 Son of Taeper

Son of Taeper

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

Are the government mad?

The simple solution is to set up a committee to define Hot, Warm, and Ambient. I'll assume all food outlets will provide disposable thermometers to ensure Vat is not being charged when it should not be.
Might want to add cold and frozen to the list while they're at it as a hot pizza delivered by moped on a winters night is likely to be only warm or cold by the time it arrives, (maybe even frozen). As you open your front door there will be an inevitable change of temperature.

And where do we sit with something like this -
http://www.stellasof...cy-cheese-bread
The views expressed in my posts are my own based upon what I read on other information supplied by other HPC members.
These should not be used a a definitive answer to any posts I attempt to answer.

#14 porca misèria

porca misèria

Porcine Aviation Enterprises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts
  • About Me:pig

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

Would be nice if the state education system ensured 100% of people upon the age of 18 (or after a period of 1 year for immigrants), could define 'money' and 'currency'.

33% of them attending the local establisment might get 5 A*-Cs at GCSE, but it seldom explains who is able and who is not.

The state can't define bread.  Will they tax the 'Chorleywood process'?

Be nice if they could define beer/alcohol! If I sold somebody a pint can containing two plastic sachets of water and beer to mix could I qualify for a lower rate of DUTY? People afterall could carry out reflux or freeze distillation... The separate ingredients often come mixed.
M/UST you sell them pre-mixed?

You could easily spend more working around a tax than the cost of the tax itself. This particular tax was probably on balance an improvement on what we had before - whose flaws are conveniently ignored by bashers.

As for beer, you remind me of 1980s Iceland, where beer as we know it was technically illegal. Their bars got round that by selling a pint of non-alcoholic beer and a compatible measure of strong spirits as two drinks. Mind you, the cost was phenomenal: think £20/pint and you get an idea of the premium over UK prices.

#15 Goat

Goat

HPC livestock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

Last week the chancellor announced VAT of 20 per cent will be extended to all hot takeaway foods such as pasties and pies which are ‘above the ambient air temperature at the time they are provided to the customer’.

Surely the obvious answer is to heat the shop to 65 degrees centigrade.
Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware - anon 1523AD

Told you - Young Goat December 2007AD

We are all waking up to the reality that our houses aren't worth what we thought they were. - David Willetts MP 15 March 2011.

Join today: British Goat Society

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users