House Price Crash Forum

Soldiers Stand By To Drive Petrol Tankers As Part Of Contingency Plans To Stop A Strike Plunging Britain Into Chaos

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2119917/Soldiers-stand-drive-petrol-tankers-contingency-plans-stop-strike-plunging-Britain-chaos.html

Will Labour back a crippling strike by union Unite, its biggest donor?

Emergency plans aimed at preventing a repeat of the turmoil caused by protesting lorry drivers when Tony Blair was Prime Minister in 2000

Results of a strike ballot of 2,000 tanker drivers will be announced tomorrow

Emergency plans for soldiers to drive petrol tankers to stop a threatened strike plunging Britain into chaos have been drawn up by the Government.

The price of fuel is only going to go up!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

I will support any strike action. I didn't during the last fuel strike but this time, the strikers get my full support.

They're not voting to strike over the price of fuel, but over the conditions under which they deliver it.

If their wages go up will fuel follow?

HOLA444

They're not voting to strike over the price of fuel, but over the conditions under which they deliver it.

If their wages go up will fuel follow?

Yes, I understand that. I still support them. It seems fuel is already going up regardless of any possible wage increase. My hope is that this will kickstart other fuel price strikes this summer. I will support those too.

HOLA445

Good. Seems this government is doing something right, despite the disgraceful position the then-tory-leader took back in 2000 (when the party went on to its worst and best-deserved electoral defeat, that would have been deeply satisfying if only it hadn't been The Liar in power).

HOLA446

What with legislation for CS Gas and water cannons use being rushed through, surely petrol rising like Hovis is another nail in the coffin for any protester with ideas of lobbing a Molotov cocktail :ph34r:

HOLA447
HOLA448

Yes, I understand that. I still support them. It seems fuel is already going up regardless of any possible wage increase. My hope is that this will kickstart other fuel price strikes this summer. I will support those too.

And where would you raise taxes to replace the money lost if fuel duties fall?

HOLA449

And where would you raise taxes to replace the money lost if fuel duties fall?

If fuel keeps going up, a lot of businesses will simply fold. At that point, the Government receives ZERO taxes and will also have to fork out more money in unemployment benefits. Better to have people in jobs paying taxes methinks.

HOLA4410

If fuel keeps going up, a lot of businesses will simply fold. At that point, the Government receives ZERO taxes and will also have to fork out more money in unemployment benefits. Better to have people in jobs paying taxes methinks.

If fuel stops flowing a lot of businesses fold too...

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Good. Seems this government is doing something right, despite the disgraceful position the then-tory-leader took back in 2000 (when the party went on to its worst and best-deserved electoral defeat, that would have been deeply satisfying if only it hadn't been The Liar in power).

+1

I am surprised at the comments in favor of bringing the country to a standstill. Then again, strikes worked just fine in Greece, didn't they?

HOLA4414

The govt is gambling that this point hasn't been reached.

HOLA4415

Why is it always soldiers? They are pretty ******ing busy at the moment and they've got better things to do. Why do we not see plans for local councillors to be driving these trucks, or MP's retinues (aside from the fact that they're not easy to drive, but then, it's not as if squaddie initial training consists of personal admin, rifle cleaning and driving a huge truck) ?

HOLA4416

Why is it always soldiers? They are pretty ******ing busy at the moment and they've got better things to do. Why do we not see plans for local councillors to be driving these trucks, or MP's retinues (aside from the fact that they're not easy to drive, but then, it's not as if squaddie initial training consists of personal admin, rifle cleaning and driving a huge truck) ?

They can be ordered to do things, won't care about a picket line, and don't have an overdeveloped sense of entitlement. It is also a good way of demonstrating that the strikers' jobs can be done very cheaply and don't require any magic skills that people who are only just literate could not acquire quickly. And it's probably a lot better than being shot at, so nearly everyone wins.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I would be happy if petrol doubled in price to be honest. Would just speed up the inevitable crash we need to clear out all the dead wood (mostly politicians and bankers).

You'd best get ready for anarchy then. Make sure you have plenty of guns. Find yourself a cave to defend in.

HOLA4421
Guest eight

Anecdotal. We live in Darlington, which is close to Catterick. Round here you can barely move for squaddies learning to drive trucks. I just asked my other half the other day if the army needed so many truck drivers - looks like my question has been answered.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Why is it always soldiers? They are pretty ******ing busy at the moment and they've got better things to do. Why do we not see plans for local councillors to be driving these trucks

Local councillors generally have day jobs, and do council work just a few days a week for a small amount of money.

Soldiers on the other hand have to be employed in their thousands just in case there's a war, so finding something useful for them to do is ideal.

HOLA4424

And then you get Wincanton...

"which employs 16,000 staff, pays its 450 drivers £45,000 a year before overtime, putting their wage rate in the top 25pc of haulage companies."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/9166214/Oil-tanker-boss-holds-firm-amid-risk-of-strike-by-drivers.html

Sounds like the unions are just being greedy shit stirring bastards (again)...

HOLA4425

There's a lot of bluster about Health and Safety from the unions when it's fundamentally about long-term highly paid driver contracts.

I know a tanker driver who works for a smallish firm and he's on over £10 an hour, plus overtime. He deserves it, it's hard and responsible work, especially delivering in the really bad weather, with what is basically a very big bomb behind him.

However, some drivers at firms have had long established ironclad wage increase contracts that are not reasonable any more. I hear Wincanton tanker drivers are on £16 per hour! If they don't change their terms and conditions, the companies will be undercut by other firms and job losses will follow instead.

At the last fuel blockades in 2000, Tony Blair basically s**t himself when he discovered (him and Brown didn't know) that the fuel companies contracted out their deliveries years ago and didn't employ many drivers themselves any more. So they couldn't just sack 'em and get some more because they didn't basically use their own drivers for forecourt deliveries.

Edited: Whilst I was typing this, someone beat me to it about Wincanton. Good link.

Archived