#2 Bradbury Robinson

Bradbury Robinson

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

I think it might have been a database problem. :rolleyes:

Seems to happen quite often on this forum for some reason.

#3 Wurzel Of Highbridge

Wurzel Of Highbridge

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts
  • About Me:What I find I keep.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

I would like to know what system Fubra are using? It is the most unreliable system I have ever encountered!

I run a LAMP based web service which is approximately the same size and popularity as housepricecrash and do not get anywhere as many issues.

At times I do wonder if this site is earning Fubra so little that they really don't care about it that much?
  • I don't believe that there can be sustainable asset inflation when there is underlying wage deflation.
  • No matter what you choose to do in life, choose to do what you are best at and be the best you can be.
  • Everyone is a vested interest and everything is rigged.
  • Sometimes bubble dynamics just end, people stop believing and what was once a virtuous cycle suddenly morphs into vicious one.
  • The real value goes beyond the money.

I have come to realize that there is widespread belief in a 2015 global recovery.At this point in June 2013 is clear that there will be no recovery in 2015, central bankers have run out of tools to patch over the structural problems and the can can no longer be kicked.As we approach 2015 it will be clear that the emperor has no clothes and there will be an economic crash that makes 2009 look trivial.Note: I was wrong on 2nd May 2012 12:00 - London Top called prediction of London will fall by >10% in 12 months.

#4 Gone baby gone

Gone baby gone

So long, it's been a blast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,383 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

At times I do wonder if this site is earning Fubra so little that they really don't care about it that much?

It's probably costing them - they sell a hosting platform and it's not a great advert - I certainly wouldn't consider using their platform after my experiences with outages here....

#5 pajd

pajd

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

Got a database/SQL error telling me it was my computer that was the issue.

#6 Wurzel Of Highbridge

Wurzel Of Highbridge

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

Just to rub it in a bit. Both of our dedicated servers have an uptime of over a year B)

We use http://ovh.co.uk because they are cheap and reliable. That is also the reason we use a linux LAMP stack.
  • I don't believe that there can be sustainable asset inflation when there is underlying wage deflation.
  • No matter what you choose to do in life, choose to do what you are best at and be the best you can be.
  • Sometimes bubble dynamics just end, people stop believing and what was once a virtuous cycle suddenly morphs into vicious one.

I have come to realize that there is widespread belief in a 2015 global recovery.At this point in June 2013 is clear that there will be no recovery in 2015, central bankers have run out of tools to patch over the structural problems and the can can no longer be kicked.As we approach 2015 it will be clear that the emperor has no clothes and there will be an economic crash that makes 2009 look trivial.Note: I was wrong on 2nd May 2012 12:00 - London Top called prediction of London will fall by >10% in 12 months.

#7 geezer466

geezer466

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  • Location:200 Meters from Probably the Most Famous Prom in the World

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

Is it possible it was a server issue at a major hosting supplier?

One of my other favourite sites (army rumour service) went down at and for exactly the same time?
This is the space for the signature thingy.........

#8 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,936 posts
  • About Me:Vote LABOURTORY. You have no choice!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

Just to rub it in a bit. Both of our dedicated servers have an uptime of over a year B)

We use http://ovh.co.uk because they are cheap and reliable. That is also the reason we use a linux LAMP stack.

Mine do too with the help of K-Splice to update running kernels!

The only major outages I've experienced have been network related, DDoS attacks and so on, which can take time to manage. Thankfully they are rare.

It is also common for data centre sites to have back up power, usually in the form of substantial diesel generators. Loss of power is not an acceptable excuse. Having said that I have hosted at the likes of Redbus Telehouse, which have managed to loose power.

Edited by "Steed", 22 March 2012 - 09:06 AM.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#9 Wurzel Of Highbridge

Wurzel Of Highbridge

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

I have not heard of K-Splice before, sounds like it could be usedful if you are using the very latest OS builds. Our systems are running Cent OS 5.x and 6.x, before that we used Suse and Mandrivia.

#10 Rare Bear

Rare Bear

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

In the days when I used Netware 3.12 I would have been seriously disappointed to not get several years at a time.

Edit to add: Not much use for a wb server of course.:)

Edited by Rare Bear, 22 March 2012 - 11:31 AM.

#11 Monkey

Monkey

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

It is also common for data centre sites to have back up power, usually in the form of substantial diesel generators. Loss of power is not an acceptable excuse. Having said that I have hosted at the likes of Redbus Telehouse, which have managed to loose power.

you'd be a tad bit annoyed if your online business was on one of these servers. loss of revenue etc.

#12 'Bart'

'Bart'

I live on HPC!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,421 posts
  • About Me:Mad as hell

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

Got a database/SQL error telling me it was my computer that was the issue.

From my experience, if you were logged in, you got that message.

If you weren't, you could see the forum and read the posts, but as soon as you logged in....

#13 Hectors House

Hectors House

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • About Me:WOOF!

I hate politicos

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

A lot of sites have been/are at this moment suffering hacking attacks, both UKpoliceonline and policespecials .com are offline because its so bad, the hackers have got hold of individuals email accounts as well. hackers seem to have something against Bankers.

Surprised Arrse hasn't been taken out as well as this site.
"I'm Professor Brian Cox and I'm standing on one of the two largest things in the universe... that's right Sarah Beeney's breasts!"

"Property, was the wrong thing for my business to get involved in" Lord Alan Sugar on why his personal fortune decreased in recent years.

"The property market is a car crash happening in slow motion, this is going to play out for the next twenty years like Japan" Radio 5 Live 15/12/11

The suburbs where they rip out trees, and name streets after them.

#14 Son of Taeper

Son of Taeper

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

I would like to know what system Fubra are using? It is the most unreliable system I have ever encountered!

I run a LAMP based web service which is approximately the same size and popularity as housepricecrash and do not get anywhere as many issues.

Forget your KFC.
You need to delete your cookies then log back into HPC and see how many new ones you have.
The views expressed in my posts are my own based upon what I read on other information supplied by other HPC members.
These should not be used a a definitive answer to any posts I attempt to answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users