HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-17457098

Clue to male baldness discoveredBy Helen Briggs

Health editor, BBC News website

A biological clue to male baldness has been discovered, raising the prospect of a treatment to stop or even reverse thinning hair.

In studies of bald men and laboratory mice, US scientists pinpointed a protein that triggers hair loss.

Drugs that target the pathway are already in development, they report in the journal Science Translational Medicine.

The research could lead to a cream to treat baldness.

Most men start to go bald in middle age, with about 80% of men having some hair loss by the age of 70.

The male sex hormone testosterone plays a key role, as do genetic factors. They cause the hair follicles to shrink, eventually becoming so small that they are invisible, leading to the appearance of baldness.

Reverse balding?

Now, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania have analysed which genes are switched on when men start to go bald.

They found levels of a key protein called prostaglandin D synthase are elevated in the cells of hair follicles located in bald patches on the scalp, but not in hairy areas.

Mice bred to have high levels of the protein went completely bald, while transplanted human hairs stopped growing when given the protein.

Prof George Cotsarelis, of the department of dermatology, who led the research, said: "Essentially we showed that prostaglandin protein was elevated in the bald scalp of men and that it inhibited hair growth. So we identified a target for treating male-pattern baldness.

"The next step would be to screen for compounds that affect this receptor and to also find out whether blocking that receptor would reverse balding or just prevent balding - a question that would take a while to figure out."

The inhibition of hair growth is triggered when the protein binds to a receptor on the cells of hair follicles, said Prof Cotsarelis.

Several known drugs that target this pathway have already been identified, he added, including some that are in clinical trials.

The researchers say there is potential for developing a treatment that can be applied to the scalp to prevent baldness and possibly help hair regrow.

I thought this was quite old news, but seems to have a recent date on it.

Meanwhile, any news of progress on returning grey hair back to its natural colour? Hair dyes are tedious and I worry about the chemicals in them. Anyone heard of herbal suggestions such as fo-ti or he shou wu, which are supposed to work for some people? Any good? I know there are said to be side effects http://www.livestron...-of-he-shou-wu/

In Traditional Chinese Medicine, the herbal remedy he shou wu (sometimes known as fo ti) is prescribed to enhance general health and increase life span, but its claim to fame is that it also is said to return gray hair to its original color. The direct English translation of he shou wu is "Black-haired Mr. He." In Chinese medicine theory, the kidneys control the growth and color of hair, and he shou wu is said to benefit the liver and kidneys

Kidneys? Hair colour? Are they serious?

#2 erat_forte

erat_forte

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

Baldness and grey hair is cool, distinguished, handsome, natural. Creams and dyes are for vain twatts. Eat well, sleep well, exercise well, stay handsome and healthy for life.
CAESAR AD ERAT FORTE BRVTVS ADSUM IAM CAESAR SIC INTRA LIBUS BRVTVS SIC INTRAM

#3 57percent

57percent

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

Baldness and grey hair is cool, distinguished, handsome, natural. Creams and dyes are for vain twatts. Eat well, sleep well, exercise well, stay handsome and healthy for life.

No, I want my hair back! :(

#4 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,887 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

You can have mine - it is falling out fast enough.
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#5 happy_renting

happy_renting

Mildly Irritated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,668 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

Embrace your greyness. Be at ease with yourself.

Grey hair is the least problematic body change that occurs with age.

#6 md23040

md23040

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

Cultivated Kombucha Tea apparently reverses greyness but will do nothing for slap heads. It's an antioxidant drink that basically clears all the crap out of the body and has many positive health advantages.

"Deficits mean future tax increases, pure and simple. Deficit spending should be viewed as a tax on future generations, and politicians who create deficits should be exposed as tax hikers".
Proud Member of the RP Fan Club

#7 Austin Allegro

Austin Allegro

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

The problem with dyeing your hair is that it might look ok at first but once you're past mid forties it starts to look more and more suspect. However if you want a non-dyeing method of darkening, there used to be something called Morgan's Hair Darkening Pomade that I used as a teenager when I wanted black hair, for some long forgotten reason (trying to look like a 1930s film star I think). It worked quite well but you do look a bit of a greaseball with it.
Why treat those who call themselves atheists as enemies? Why not simply say to them: ‘We have no quarrel. The “God” whose existence you deny you do well to deny. It is an object among other objects and I deny it also. The necessary ground of all rational thought, on which you and I both depend to make sensible statements, that is what I mean by God.’ Rev Anthony Freeman

#8 Englebert

Englebert

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

Who cares about being bald? The only people who worry about it are self absorbed imbeciles. Get a life you wassocks!

#9 eight

eight

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Like he says in Men Behaving Badly, the reason men go bald is to stop them having any more crap hairstyles.

If it went the other way, and you were born bald but started to go hairy in middle age, I think you would find hair to be strange and annoying and would look for a "cure" for it.
There is a war going on for your mind. If you are thinking, you are winning.

#10 57percent

57percent

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

Like he says in Men Behaving Badly, the reason men go bald is to stop them having any more crap hairstyles.

Good way to look at it.

Mine's gone quite quickly. Was always gonna have a bit of bald patch, but I wasn't expecting the thinning at the front which has all happened in less than a year.

Have gone with a number 3 cut for now, but think I need to go lower.

Some people look better without hair. I will not.

#11 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,978 posts
  • About Me:Vote LABOURTORY. You have no choice!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

I've heard iodine can help with baldness. Perhaps pop into the chemist for Tincture of Iodine and apply it to your bald patch. Its not very expensive and will help top up your general iodine levels. I'm a great believer in iodine, but am sceptical about this:

http://www.iodine-re...ite-iodine.html

It is his theory that fungus and mycoplasma cause hair loss by attacking hair follicles. The iodine stops the fungus from devouring the hair follicle.

Edited by "Steed", 22 March 2012 - 03:23 PM.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#12 ccc

ccc

I make myself sick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,689 posts
  • About Me:German Girl avatar - http://www.nerve.com/files/archive/theremoteisland/2009/02/german-girl-10.jpg

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

Loads of burds LOVE a bald heed - FACT
"****** you - you carwash ****"

March 2007 - Suzy Essman.

#13 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,978 posts
  • About Me:Vote LABOURTORY. You have no choice!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

Loads of burds LOVE a bald heed - FACT

They make like a shaved head, but a bald one? Hmmm

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#14 Joan of The Tower

Joan of The Tower

HPC Shoeboxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

This thread reminds me of Viz's eternal reference to the magician, "TV slaphead Paul Daniels.."

Look out Dave, you will soon be handing the keys back mate.

The knimbies who say "No" demand..... a sacrifice!
Arthur: Knimbies of No, we are but simple hardworking families who seek affordable housing on the scrubland beyond these woods.
Knimbies of No: No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No!
Bedevere: Please stop opposing our reasonable demands!
Knimby of No: We shall say "No" to you... if you do not appease us.
Arthur: Well what is it you want?
Knimby of No: We will allow you to build your precious high density shoeboxes, so long as you do not move so much as....

(pregnant pause)

A SHRUBBERY!!!!

#15 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,777 posts
  • About Me:Fount of wisdom, and pinnacle of taste!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

I reccomend hat! :o
Ignorance can be cured! Stupidity cannot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users