4 replies to this topic

#1 amateursurgeon

amateursurgeon

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:38 AM

I've just seen a property which I quite like, that come back onto the market.

The story the EA gave me is that the buyers got into the buying process then decided they wanted to live elsewhere. I know that they had a survey done... but the EA was a bit vague about what was in it ("just a new updating and stuff like that").

Is there anything specific I should ask for that they're obliged to tell me? I'd be very interested to know what the surveyor thought it was worth, and what the problems (if any) were.

#2 manchester50

manchester50

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

I've just seen a property which I quite like, that come back onto the market.

The story the EA gave me is that the buyers got into the buying process then decided they wanted to live elsewhere. I know that they had a survey done... but the EA was a bit vague about what was in it ("just a new updating and stuff like that").

Is there anything specific I should ask for that they're obliged to tell me? I'd be very interested to know what the surveyor thought it was worth, and what the problems (if any) were.

The EA won't have the information and (for most surveys) the previous 'buyer' would not be allowed to share the survey with you. A survey is produced for a potential buyer's 'eyes only'. There are normally clauses to prevent the info being shared with other buyers/sold on.

#3 Mildura

Mildura

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

The EA won't have the information and (for most surveys) the previous 'buyer' would not be allowed to share the survey with you. A survey is produced for a potential buyer's 'eyes only'. There are normally clauses to prevent the info being shared with other buyers/sold on.

Really? News to me.

There will of course be a clause to say that only the person who commissioned the survey has any form of comeback on the surveyor, should a defect be missed. But I've never heard that a buyer is not allowed to share survey results.
Yes I am an EA, but try not to hold it against me. The vast majority make the rest of us look bad.

#4 manchester50

manchester50

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

Really? News to me.

There will of course be a clause to say that only the person who commissioned the survey has any form of comeback on the surveyor, should a defect be missed. But I've never heard that a buyer is not allowed to share survey results.

I may have been unlucky with the particular surveyors, but I've tried twice to buy buildings surveys after the person commissioning them have lost interest in the house. Both times they were happy with the idea but couldn't without breaching their contract with their surveyors. Might be worth a web search to find if that's common or not.

#5 porca misèria

porca misèria

Porcine Aviation Enterprises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,738 posts
  • About Me:pig

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

I'd try writing a letter to the buyers who pulled out, explaining your situation and offering (modest) payment for access to their report.

Since you don't know who they are, you'd then have to ask the agent to forward the letter. Hand them a stamped, unaddressed envelope ...

I'd imagine that's most likely to work if the agent sees you as a serious buyer and anticipates the likelihood of an acceptable offer from you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users