15 replies to this topic

#1 notnow

notnow

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Ok I admit I took the idea from the main forum, but can anyone show a for sale link to a really nice house, lets say up to £300k , (just to keep some semblance of sense) that is really seriously good value, and looks like the sort of place that should have a queue of buyers outside the door.
Shall we say any NR postcode? I have to admit that I have looked, and I've got nothing.

#2 notnow

notnow

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

Sorry, I forgot to add that anything likely to be uninsureable against flooding - which is just about to become a major headache for much of the area - does not count.

#3 Wurzel Of Highbridge

Wurzel Of Highbridge

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts
  • About Me:What I find I keep.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

TGB, they would want 200k - 250k around my way for this:

http://www.rightmove...y-20082843.html
  • I don't believe that there can be sustainable asset inflation when there is underlying wage deflation.
  • No matter what you choose to do in life, choose to do what you are best at and be the best you can be.
  • Everyone is a vested interest and everything is rigged.
  • Sometimes bubble dynamics just end, people stop believing and what was once a virtuous cycle suddenly morphs into vicious one.
  • The real value goes beyond the money.

I have come to realize that there is widespread belief in a 2015 global recovery.At this point in June 2013 is clear that there will be no recovery in 2015, central bankers have run out of tools to patch over the structural problems and the can can no longer be kicked.As we approach 2015 it will be clear that the emperor has no clothes and there will be an economic crash that makes 2009 look trivial.Note: I was wrong on 2nd May 2012 12:00 - London Top called prediction of London will fall by >10% in 12 months.

#4 Wurzel Of Highbridge

Wurzel Of Highbridge

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts
  • About Me:What I find I keep.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

And just for fun!

http://www.rightmove...y-33371683.html

I spent a very pleasant week in Ireland earlier this month.
  • I don't believe that there can be sustainable asset inflation when there is underlying wage deflation.
  • No matter what you choose to do in life, choose to do what you are best at and be the best you can be.
  • Everyone is a vested interest and everything is rigged.
  • Sometimes bubble dynamics just end, people stop believing and what was once a virtuous cycle suddenly morphs into vicious one.
  • The real value goes beyond the money.

I have come to realize that there is widespread belief in a 2015 global recovery.At this point in June 2013 is clear that there will be no recovery in 2015, central bankers have run out of tools to patch over the structural problems and the can can no longer be kicked.As we approach 2015 it will be clear that the emperor has no clothes and there will be an economic crash that makes 2009 look trivial.Note: I was wrong on 2nd May 2012 12:00 - London Top called prediction of London will fall by >10% in 12 months.

#5 Son of Taeper

Son of Taeper

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

Sorry, I forgot to add that anything likely to be uninsureable against flooding - which is just about to become a major headache for much of the area - does not count.

Lol.
When I str a few years back I ended up in an upper flat of a property where the ground floor flat had never flooded.
I knew that as a fact, but the area around it was all designated flood plain so I ended up paying a premium.
For my upper floor flat to flood out would have taken about the worst flood since records began (and then some)
We needed the specific location so we ran with it.
You need to do your homework my friend.
Check out the Environment website
http://www.environme...ds/default.aspx

As for the NR postcode, need way more of a postal area than that, It;s like saying your brother lives in London and we should know him by sight and name.
The views expressed in my posts are my own based upon what I read on other information supplied by other HPC members.
These should not be used a a definitive answer to any posts I attempt to answer.

#6 peter_2008

peter_2008

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

Can you elaborate on what is “good value” for you?

Personally, I always felt that 2001 price + 20% would be a fair value. My reason is that 2001 was post dot-com-bubble + 911, when all central banks started printing money and thing got really crazy. HPI was about 40 - 50% from 2001 to 2003.

So 2001 was the last time the majority of people had to buy with 25% deposit, 3 times income at 7% mortgage. In other words, 2001 was the last time property price was still somewhat linked to income. After that it was linked to the sheer magnitude of stupidity and ignorance.

If I buy a house at 2001 + 20% , I would be happy.

#7 peter_2008

peter_2008

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

Sorry, forgot to explain that 20% represented the wage inflation over ten years.

#8 MattW

MattW

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:18 AM

Ok I admit I took the idea from the main forum, but can anyone show a for sale link to a really nice house, lets say up to £300k , (just to keep some semblance of sense) that is really seriously good value, and looks like the sort of place that should have a queue of buyers outside the door.
Shall we say any NR postcode? I have to admit that I have looked, and I've got nothing.

Well I keep tabs on NR1 to NR7 and I haven't seen anything that represents good value so far. I did spot a house with an asking price £65k but that comes with a tenant who has a protected tenancy.
Insecure Tenant

#9 notnow

notnow

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Can you elaborate on what is “good value” for you?

Personally, I always felt that 2001 price + 20% would be a fair value. My reason is that 2001 was post dot-com-bubble + 911, when all central banks started printing money and thing got really crazy. HPI was about 40 - 50% from 2001 to 2003.

So 2001 was the last time the majority of people had to buy with 25% deposit, 3 times income at 7% mortgage. In other words, 2001 was the last time property price was still somewhat linked to income. After that it was linked to the sheer magnitude of stupidity and ignorance.

Hi Peter 2008, Good value? For me it comes down to genuinely wondering why on earth a house has not sold. It does not have to be rediculously cheap,

My point, perhaps clumsily made , is that pre 2007 there always were houses that you could pick out as ones you should go and see. Attractively priced and well presented. That was all that was expected. When you found it, you bought it.

Now, all those houses are competing for half as many purchasers as pre 2007 , yet none of them really strike me as good value. I am interested in your 2001 + 20% approach. I also tend to use data on the land registry , in particular the House price index. Many houses are selling at 2004 prices. I am waiting for a straight 2003 index figure, and then I might see "value".

#10 Russe11

Russe11

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

I see the bottom end 1bed flats are now dropping asking prices, instead of £65k offers above a couple have gone £55k offers above, another 40% in a couple of years time and we will be there?

#11 notnow

notnow

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

OK in terms of price this is more up with the original post concept and really not my sort of place but .....

http://www.rightmove...y-33706618.html

I dont know the area or the house but good value? I would have to say that this probably is. It beats so many two bed no garage 1950s dumps for the same price hands down. Unless there is a catch of course.

#12 notnow

notnow

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

Considering the original price, perhaps this represents value? Wierd layout though from the description

http://www.rightmove...y-32260687.html

Any more examples of good value ?

#13 notnow

notnow

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

Lousy value

http://www.rightmove...y-33104554.html

Nearly £100k more than any house there has ever sold for.

#14 MattW

MattW

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

Lousy value

http://www.rightmove...y-33104554.html

Nearly £100k more than any house there has ever sold for.

Agreed. Decent sized house but I'm surprised that it is over £250k. Nothing architectually special about it from what I can see.
Insecure Tenant

#15 notnow

notnow

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

http://www.rightmove...y-33967837.html

Where is the garage? Oh yes its a bedroom.... and exposed roof joinery....
I realise others may disagree but £300,000 ??? Really ????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users