House Price Crash Forum

Tumble Dryers

Si1

HOLA441

Hi All

is it possible to have a tumble drier in a rented house that has no external vent for a tumble dryer fitted, or indeed a combo washing machine / tumble dryer?

and how do you do this if it is possible?

thanks all

Si1

Edited by Si1

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

We had this problem. If you already own a non condenser dryer then you can purchase a separate condenser box that you can put the hose into. I have however heard some bad reviews about these. Or you can aim the hose out of an open window which is what we do. Ours is in our porch and we have to keep the window open all the time anyway due to condensation problems (luckily we live in the sticks in a low crime area, although we'll probably get burgled now I've said this!).

HOLA445
HOLA446

We recently bought a condenser drier to put in a window-less, boiler-room/cupboard, which is were the washer is meant to go. (There is a water supply pipe and a water drainage pipe in there.)

The drier model we chose allows the water to be drained automaticall, if you set it up that way. So we got a "Y" shaped plastic piece fitted, & now the condenser-drier extracted water goes down/out same drain pipe as water from the washer. Before that, emptying the reservoir after each use was not a problem, just shows you how much water comes out of a load of wet washing!

We actually don't use our drier much, (as we try to hang/air-dry stuff round the flat), but it works well when it is needed.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA447

dont do a combo washer dryer, they are expensive and tbh not great at either function. They breakdown with alarming regularity and when one function doesnt work you are often left with neither. I wouldnt have another one if I won it for free.

HOLA448

dont do a combo washer dryer, they are expensive and tbh not great at either function. They breakdown with alarming regularity and when one function doesnt work you are often left with neither. I wouldnt have another one if I won it for free.

by reputation on web-discussions/reviews, as far as I can tell, miele, bosch, siemens, whirlpool, zanussi are all good washer-dryers

hotpoint, indesit, hoover are bad, unreliable

what brand did you have?

HOLA449

by reputation on web-discussions/reviews, as far as I can tell, miele, bosch, siemens, whirlpool, zanussi are all good washer-dryers

what brand did you have?

hotpoint and indesit. :)

I wouldnt have another one though because if the tumble drier packs in then you have no washing machine and vice versa - not sure that better makes alleviate that problem or willing to risk it.

HOLA4410

hotpoint and indesit. :)

I wouldnt have another one though because if the tumble drier packs in then you have no washing machine and vice versa - not sure that better makes alleviate that problem or willing to risk it.

fair play; it's about space actually, not cost, but thanks for this

HOLA4411

what brand did you have?

Not sure where my candy combo fits on that list, but its still going after 12 years. What is the expected lifespan?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

condenser driers work really well.

We bought one for our rented place.

The water bottle is very large so it doesn't need emptying very often.

Remember to clean the filters and condenser frequently (in the former case almost after every use) otherwise they don't work.

HOLA4414

The condenser option is superb.

Our fridge, freezer , dishwasher, washing machine and drier were all Boshe, but I don't rate the washing machine or fridge units at all as both are way too noisy.

The engineer said it was normal but in my experience, there are quieter models out there.

Try this link

http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/misc.html

if you're looking to upgrade.