#1 inflating

inflating

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

As featured on R4 "You and Yours"

Sites are now online allowing tenants to be checked based on a landlord's reference.
R4 asked "How do you know what a landlord says about a tenant is true?"

"An infringement of tenants' privacy", said one guest on the show.

Landlordrefrencing.co.uk
TenantID.co.uk

How come this is allowed but tenants don't have a website to check what landlords are like?
Oh that's right, tenants are just nobodies

#2 Sine270

Sine270

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

I'd be happy to pay a fiver to check out my landlord before entering into a tennancy agreement. I'd then be happy to post a rating about him onto the website.
Anyone starting a website like this could eventually turn it into a nice little earner.

#3 Swansea Estate Agent

Swansea Estate Agent

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

As featured on R4 "You and Yours"

Sites are now online allowing tenants to be checked based on a landlord's reference.
R4 asked "How do you know what a landlord says about a tenant is true?"

"An infringement of tenants' privacy", said one guest on the show.

Landlordrefrencing.co.uk
TenantID.co.uk

How come this is allowed but tenants don't have a website to check what landlords are like?
Oh that's right, tenants are just nobodies

Because nobody has set one up.

Tenant referencing sites have been built because there have been so many problems with bad tenants and it is very costly for landlords to gain back posession of their properties and put them back to a good condition.

When tenants have bad experiences with landlords, they move somewhere else and this does not usually end up going to court or costing a lot of money.

It makes sense that a landlord that is usually somebody that ends up with a huge bill from a bad tenant would find this kind of website useful.

Perhaps if I had a bad experience renting, then I might look at naming and shaming a landlord etc.

This is all down to landlords not doing any due dilligence before tenanting their properties though. If they used credit checking and referencing companies to check tenants, then they would not run the risk of finding a bad tenant. Or at least heavily reduce the risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users