15 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Hun

Peter Hun

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:59 AM

Going to McDonalds is more expensive in Argentina than in USA, I knew that much, but seems that the evil looking clown has no problem in playing along the local corrupt government.
You see, thereís this thing called the Big Mac Index, an informal index created by The Economist in 1986 to measure purchasing power parity, or in other words how expensive stuff is compared from one country to another. To do that you need a product that is similar in each country, and the BigMac does just that. As informal as the Big Mac Index is, its been around long enough to be taken very seriously.

Surprised was I when I read that Argentina does quite well in the BigMac IndexÖ but why is it then that Iíve always found it to be MORE expensive than other countries where Ive been to McDonalds?Ö wait.. why is it that Iíve always ordered Quarter Pounders with cheese instead of BigMacs?Ö oh! Thatís right! Thereís NO BIGMAC in Argentina! Its not advertised, its not displayed in any of their menu options, at least not openly in those big banners with pictures and menus. If you donít see it offered, you donít order it, and thatís the idea. McDonalds doesnít want you to order the BigMac in Argentina.

But why would they do this? Simple. To LIE about the BigMac Index, and make Argentina sound 50% cheaper than it actually is. If you compare the unusually low official price of the BigMac to the rest of the menus you see how its surprisingly low. The Argentine government came to some sort of arrangement with McDonalds: Keep the BigMac at X price, and weíll make it up to you. Thatís why the price is kept so low, and thatís why they donít tell anyone the BigMac is listed.
But can you actually get the BIgMac in Argentina, even if itís a best kept secret? I do remember this one time when my father visited us in Argentina and ordered a BigMac and they told him they didnít have it, but other sources assure that they are obligated to sell it to you, so give it a try!
Thatís how it works in Argentina. In any other sane country a company would openly advertise a product that they have at a very low price. In Argentina, its kept secret so as to not lose money, yet officially have it listed.

NY Times details -

http://latitude.blog...big-mac-attack/

http://ferfal.blogsp...ne-big-mac.html

Edited by Peter Hun, 19 March 2012 - 08:02 AM.

#2 interestrateripoff

interestrateripoff

Carry on banking.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,997 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

Genius idea.

We could solve inflation in a few minutes doing this.

Proof that Brown had repeated IMF / OECD / BIS warnings over house prices and did nothing!!!
Looting: The Economic Underworld Of Bankruptcy For Profit
The exponential growth of debt and the unsustainability of debt
The logic of HPI @ 10% YoY means your £100k house would be worth £1.38bn in 100 years
Paying down my mortgage with money found on the street

It's time to sue the Bank of England / Federal Reserve for GROSS NEGLIGENCE
If DEBT is the problem REPAYMENT is the solution or you default

"The trouble with the world was that prices were so low that only the rich people could buy and the aim of the Conference was to raise them to a point where it would again be possible for poor people to buy something."

"Northern unemployment is an acceptable price to pay for curbing southern inflation" Eddie George former Governor of the Bank of England

New digest on the credit crisis and economy Part2 Part 3

smaller.jpg

#3 tomandlu

tomandlu

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

I don't get this. What happens if you ask for a big mac? If they give you one, then surely the 'secret' would be out, and everyone would always just buy big macs? If they don't actually sell them at all, then how would this be allowed?
Buy my book "All the Way Home"

#4 scrappycocco

scrappycocco

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

and they want the falklands oil........the argentines should direct their hate towards their government.......

#5 Peter Hun

Peter Hun

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

I don't get this. What happens if you ask for a big mac? If they give you one, then surely the 'secret' would be out, and everyone would always just buy big macs? If they don't actually sell them at all, then how would this be allowed?

They don't have them in store, the price is 35% cheaper but you you can't actually buy it. Laws in Argentina are flexible.

Edited by Peter Hun, 19 March 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#6 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,715 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

Mervyn King may want to do this with all food in the UK.

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#7 RufflesTheGuineaPig

RufflesTheGuineaPig

is fluffy

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,038 posts
  • About Me:I am Ruffles, the destroyer of worlds....

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

Mervyn King may want to do this with all food in the UK.

No, we have FAR better tricks to hide food inflation.

Just look at how heavy a bag or crisps is these days.

Or how much soup/meat/whatever is in a can.

Or how heavy your chocolate bar is.

Or the vitamin content of the 32" TFT TV we are expected to buy every 6 months.

Edited by RufflesTheGuineaPig, 19 March 2012 - 10:03 AM.

It's time to pay the piper. There is no magician who will magic away the debt. Someone is going to have to pay it. Bend over and prepare to make payment.

In this glorious nation of ours, if you work hard and keep your head down for 25 years then you too can aspire to own one-eighth of a one bedroom flat in Manchester.

My mum and day always tell me how important it is to save to buy a house. They should know, it took them nearly 6 months to save for theirs. As teenagers, they bought a 3 bed semi.

#8 tomandlu

tomandlu

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

They don't have them in store, the price is 35% cheaper but you you can't actually buy it. Laws in Argentina are flexible.

Weird - apart from anything else, the one thing you'd expect to be fairly cheap anyway in Argentina is beef...
Buy my book "All the Way Home"

#9 Gigantic Purple Slug

Gigantic Purple Slug

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

Weird - apart from anything else, the one thing you'd expect to be fairly cheap anyway in Argentina is beef...

Suppose it depends on whether you are exporting it all to get hard currency or not.

probably the reason why the president is going big on the Falklands. 1 because of the money on the oil and 2 because it distracts people.

#10 erranta

erranta

Knows he doesn't know

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,716 posts
  • About Me:Too old for another mortgage

- fighting slavery and serfdom by despotic 'false' leaders of mock-democracy, their mega-corps and corporatism for the next ignorant generation

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

http://ferfal.blogsp...ne-big-mac.html

With a name like 'HUN'

- has it ever occured to you that off-spring of escaped Nazis are manipulating Sarf American countries in the background?
(along with aid from CIA used to undermine real democracy etc)

"The rich man's wealth is his strong city, and as an high wall in his own conceit." Proverbs Ch18 v.11

Whistle Blow!
You know 'IT' makes sense!

Exploitation & corrupt Government / Elite Rule? They have nowhere to hide if we all EXPOSE their corruption!

"Most propaganda is NOT designed to fool the critical thinker but only to give MORAL COWARDS an excuse not to think at all!"

#11 Paddles

Paddles

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

I don't know if it's still the case, but back in the 80s in UK McC@@ts you could order and receive a root beer despite it not appearing on the menu. It was like the secret track on that obscure progressive rock album you liked, except, erm different.
"And thus the rule, supported by the experience of centuries; the speculative episode always ends, not with a whimper but with a bang."
J. K. Galbraith - A short history of financial euphoria

My blog from enemy territory

#12 bajista

bajista

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

Not sure beef is cheap in argentina - just very very good quality.

So I can't imagine that Argentine beef gets anywhere near a Big Mac -it is probably shipped in from hormone enriched US. Yumm. Not.

#13 JustAnotherProle

JustAnotherProle

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

I don't know if it's still the case, but back in the 80s in UK McC@@ts you could order and receive a root beer despite it not appearing on the menu. It was like the secret track on that obscure progressive rock album you liked, except, erm different.

Ah don't get me started on McRootBeergate, one of my favorite soft drinks that go excellently with a burger and fries, stolen from us by some corporate BS, I think this all happened when they stopped making their own drinks etc and why now we have bad tasting coke and other "coca cola" company rubbish. I once emailed McD head office to complain and got a nice but negative response about bringing it back, maybe we need a pressure group like this:

http://www.facebook....er/181604877534
"Debt is the slavery of the freeĒ Publilius Syrus (1C BC)

Proud Citizen of Airstrip One.

Posted Image

"It is not the law that takes freedom from us, but the laziness of our own minds, the unwillingness to think for ourselves and so resign, even momentarily, from the herd.Ē - Lewis Lapham

#14 Oh Well :(

Oh Well :(

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

I can sell you a house for £50K.

Well I could but there arent any.

:lol: :lol:

#15 Peter Hun

Peter Hun

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

With a name like 'HUN'

- has it ever occured to you that off-spring of escaped Nazis are manipulating Sarf American countries in the background?
(along with aid from CIA used to undermine real democracy etc)

Well, I'm half Polish not German.

Not sure beef is cheap in argentina - just very very good quality.

Neither cheap or good, the best is exported for hard currency.

Edited by Peter Hun, 19 March 2012 - 02:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users