#1 interestrateripoff

interestrateripoff

Carry on banking.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 47,473 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

http://www.telegraph...ping-hours.html

George Osborne is to announce a nationwide suspension of Sunday trading laws as part of a “pro-enterprise” Budget aimed at powering Britain’s economic recovery.

The Chancellor’s speech on Wednesday will outline moves to lift restrictions on Sunday opening hours for two months this summer, with plans for a permanent relaxation if the policy is considered a success.

The Budget is also expected to signal the end of the 50p income tax rate and unveil a clutch of other business-friendly moves, including new loans for young entrepreneurs and a further cut in corporation tax.

The emphasis on boosting enterprise was detailed as Liam Fox, the former defence secretary, called for the Budget to be used to launch an attack on what he said was a “corrosive anti-business culture” in a Sunday Telegraph article. He called for an end to the 50p rate.

The eight-week suspension of Sunday trading restrictions, which will begin on July 22 and is designed to coincide with the Olympics, threatens to put the Chancellor on a collision course with trade unions, small businesses, the Church and other family-friendly groups who have campaigned to “keep Sunday special”.

Go consumer economy, if we open shops more our consumer economy will boom. It's obvious really if you open longer you'll get more shoppers....

It's ideas like this that will save the economy.

We don't need to be engineers and build say Thorium reactors and generate cheap electricity to reduce business costs, too much like hard work. What we need is more shopping time.

Luckily you can't shop 24/7 on the internet....

Proof that Brown had repeated IMF / OECD / BIS warnings over house prices and did nothing!!!
Looting: The Economic Underworld Of Bankruptcy For Profit
The exponential growth of debt and the unsustainability of debt
The logic of HPI @ 10% YoY means your £100k house would be worth £1.38bn in 100 years
Paying down my mortgage with money found on the street

It's time to sue the Bank of England / Federal Reserve for GROSS NEGLIGENCE
If DEBT is the problem REPAYMENT is the solution or you default

"The trouble with the world was that prices were so low that only the rich people could buy and the aim of the Conference was to raise them to a point where it would again be possible for poor people to buy something."

"Northern unemployment is an acceptable price to pay for curbing southern inflation" Eddie George former Governor of the Bank of England

New digest on the credit crisis and economy Part2 Part 3

smaller.jpg

#2 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,642 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

Erm a little bird tells me shops are looking to perhaps to reduce hours due to falling demand. Shock horror. Unless the government forces all shops to open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. If there is no demand, the free market will decide.

Anyway I can shop on the internet 24-7.

untitled.PNG

#3 LJAR

LJAR

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

I don't think people will spend more because the shops are open longer will they?

Alternatively we could:

Radically simplify tax to reduce avoidance schemes

Get out of the EU to lower the costs of day to day living (tariffs on food etc)

Reform planning laws to allow more houses to be built (and make housing cheaper)

Simplify benefits so they only go to the needy not families on £50k per year.

Lift those on less than £15k out of tax altogether.

Drill for shale gas to reduce household bills and energy costs for industry.

Relax regulations on childcare to make it cheaper for parents to go out and work.

#4 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,035 posts
  • About Me:Smashing it to LibLabCon & the NIMBY's

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

Its good to see the re-balancing is coming along fine and the economy doesn't all rely on banking, finance, property and errr shopping.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#5 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,975 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

I don't agree with this proposal...the beginning of the end. ;)
What you don't owe won't worry you.

Less can be more.

#6 billybong

billybong

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,009 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

I quite like shops and cafes etc to be open whenever but if he thinks this new "initiative" is going to get things booming again ("powering Britain's recovery" :rolleyes:) he's in wishful thinking. Shops and cafes are closing earlier and earlier apparently due to lack of demand.

Even cafes in 24 hour supermarkets are closing ever earlier. You would think that with all the shoppers milling around in the 24 hour outlets there would be some 24 hour demand for the cafes- but apparently not.

Edited by billybong, 19 March 2012 - 12:19 AM.

#7 Dave Beans

Dave Beans

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,070 posts
  • About Me:Groping The Sands Of Time

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

Erm a little bird tells me shops are looking to perhaps to reduce hours due to falling demand. Shock horror. Unless the government forces all shops to open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. If there is no demand, the free market will decide.

Anyway I can shop on the internet 24-7.

Oh, I'm looking forward to it....I work in retail, and I can't wait to serve someone at 8pm on a Sunday night to replace their broken Kettle...brilliant...
"Wont someone please think of the children"

The Sad Faces Of Wronged Mail Readers

Eurocleese De Zouch

#8 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,975 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

Do you think people will spend more if there are more hours available to spend in? Staff still need time off, and families need time off to spend together.....governments thinking about their own self interests again. ;)
What you don't owe won't worry you.

Less can be more.

#9 longtomsilver

longtomsilver

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

I don't think people will spend more because the shops are open longer will they?

Alternatively we could:

Radically simplify tax to reduce avoidance schemes

Get out of the EU to lower the costs of day to day living (tariffs on food etc)

Reform planning laws to allow more houses to be built (and make housing cheaper)

Simplify benefits so they only go to the needy not families on £50k per year.

Lift those on less than £15k out of tax altogether.

Drill for shale gas to reduce household bills and energy costs for industry.

Relax regulations on childcare to make it cheaper for parents to go out and work.

What's your manifesto on education?

All very sensible hence why it'll never be mainstream. If we are to survive the economic war then we ought to dig for coal. Is it really beyond the wit of man to clean up coal power stations much the same way as we do for cars... energy security is key to our future success.
10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash - Now we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash So, what left? Alcohol.

John Baker, Aberdeen 8/10/2011 22:34
http://www.dailymail...n.html#comments

"the world seems a better place when you're wearing beer goggles".

Quote buried in same article from 27 year old female subject painting the town of Cardiff red on a booze fuelled night out.

#10 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,766 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

Where are the people going to magic the money from to do all this extra spending on things that they don't really need because if the shops had been shut on Sunday they wouldn't have bothered buying it?

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#11 R K

R K

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,093 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

But I've already got 27 DFS sofas in the drawing room :(

#sigh

"The problem with capitalism is that eventually you end up with everyone else's money" RK
"We have now entered The Great Rebalancing 2007-20xx" - RK
"Gold will go to $1000, Silver to $18" - RK August 2011
QE £100bn and build 1m council homes - RK
Carney announces the launch of Empire 2.0 - Rise of the Banksters Oct '13

#12 Errol

Errol

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

Where are the people going to magic the money from to do all this extra spending on things that they don't really need

Indeed.

Want to get paid for polls? Try YouGov

#13 Monkey

Monkey

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

hahahahahahhhhha they have finallh lost the plot, what's going to be the measure of success?

#14 tinker

tinker

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,835 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

Nobody has any money. As people have pointed out shopping is available 24/7 anyway. Just as well as many won't be able to 'go' to the shops.

Wasn't it over-consumption that got us into this mess? People need a break from the hubbub of life to focus on the important things in life - people and loved ones.

No doubt they'll be putting beer and petrol up to dampen the spirits.

#15 John The Pessimist

John The Pessimist

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

Surely after watching the 2nd round of the Greco-Roman wrestling you're going to have the urge to go out and buy some lamb chops.....

If demand is inelastic, extending shopping hours will only make retailing less efficient.
Democracy only lasts until the unworthy discover that they can vote themselves the treasury.

You can choose the price you sell your house for, and you can choose when to sell your house, but you can't choose both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users